Glock Trigger

This is a discussion on Glock Trigger within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to hear from some of you Glockers out there about your opinion on using the Glock trigger. I've recently started training by shooting ...

Thread: Glock Trigger

Glock Trigger

I'd like to hear from some of you Glockers out there about your opinion on using the Glock trigger. I've recently started training by shooting the first shot then only releasing the trigger until reset then firing again instead of letting the trigger release all the way. Any cons to training this way? I've found out I can shoot much faster while keeping tighter groups using this method, but I'd like to find out if there is any drawback to this technique.

2. Remove Ads

I do the same. I can't think of any drawback. It allows the fastest follow up shots and I train that way to develop muscle memory.

Ditto. Gabe Suarez teaches this method in his Close Range Gunfighting DVD (recommend!). I hear a lot of people complain about the Glock trigger, but I've always liked it. Holding the trigger back gives you more control to get the pistol back on target quicker, and the short reset (hence short trigger for follow-up shots) will naturally lend itself to faster follow-up shots.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I'm not an advanced shooter. I have not trained this way (don't get to shoot enough as it is). I can't say it's good or bad either way, but I would think that it takes a lot of focus that might not be available to you if you were shooting under stress. How much control is necessary to make sure you let the trigger go only so much?

I know that when I slow-fire my Glocks, I slowly take up the trigger slack so that when I'm ready to fire, I then am pressing the trigger only for the actual striker-loading segment of its travel. I guess that's the slow-mo version of what you're talking about. I have not attempted to release the trigger only to the point of reset, but some day I'll have to try that and see if it works for me.

Administrator
    Its fine to do so, its an advantage of Glock.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes, we teach the same thing. Trigger reset and control.

Randy

PeacefulJeffrey,

Just about every gun will have a reset 'click' that can be observed if the trigger is held down after the shot, and then slowly released. The Glocks have a naturally short distance to that click, which is very pronounced. I think you'll find it to your liking to do what we're talking about. Even if you're not doing a rapid fire exercise, letting the trigger out only to reset before the next shot eliminates the trigger take-up for that next shot. You're essentially holding a single action trigger at that moment.

It's a great advantage, one that many pistolsmiths charge a lot of money to do on other less fortunate guns (no, I'm not a Glock snob).

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Yes, that's what's nice about Glocks & I wish my Kahr had a short re-set. My Taurus Mil Pro PT145; however, does have a short re-set & a light trigger pull.

I don't know about other guns. I thought the XD does, but someone told me it's not as short & light as the Glocks.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

The XD factory reset is nowhere near as short as the Glock. I have both...but the XD is still an excellent weapon and I'd trust my life to it without hesitation.

I train to the point of reset on my Glocks. I have gotten to the point I don't even think about it.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

No need to allow it to travel any further than to the point of reset. I do the same on all my guns.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glock21guy View Post
    I train to the point of reset on my Glocks. I have gotten to the point I don't even think about it.
    As long as you train to shoot this way , it should not be a problem.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links