Airsoft pistol for training?

This is a discussion on Airsoft pistol for training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, besides using snap caps....any of you guys use Airsoft pistols for a lil indoor training? I read in a magazine...handgunner I think, about how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft pistol for training?

Airsoft pistol for training?

Ok, besides using snap caps....any of you guys use Airsoft pistols for a lil indoor training? I read in a magazine...handgunner I think, about how some guys use the gas powered full blowback pistols for indoor target training. I have a couple of these things and never thought about using it to hone my skills so to speak....its not a bad idea. I've got a compact full metal 1911 gas blowback. I can post pics if anybody is interested in seeing one.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Airsoft guns a great training tools! Not just for indoors and at home but also in force on force.

The world of firearms training is changing very rapidly. The availability of airsoft guns to the general public is one of the main reasons. The advancement of the art is no longer dictated by a couple of guru's. The advancement of the art is coming from every corner of the world due to easily accessible force on force and the internet.

Great time to be a student!

I have never used an airsoft gun. How do they compare to FX? I realize there's no marking with them - how about pain when hit? ;)

Randy

I use one for training in the house. I purchased one of those targets with three spring loaded targets, when you hit them they go down and when you hit the left one they reset. None of the ranges around here permit draw and shoot on the regular ranges so the airsoft works well for practicing draw and shooting - and in air conditioned comfort.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    I use one for training in the house. I purchased one of those targets with three spring loaded targets, when you hit them they go down and when you hit the left one they reset. None of the ranges around here permit draw and shoot on the regular ranges so the airsoft works well for practicing draw and shooting - and in air conditioned comfort.
    Thats what I need, I usually just shoot cardboard boxes...but it do think its an effective technique. What kind of pistol are you using?

Randy :

Some of them are pretty realistic and as close to the real thing as possible...depends on how much you wanna spend. As far as how it feels when hit...it can sting a lil, especially up close.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Lead Moderator
    The airsoft I have actually fit the real gun holster perfect. I got a cheap spring powered gun, but it works well for training. The airsoft bb's hurt a little and be sure to wear eye protection, even target shooting.
    I have found it very useful in understanding how quick one can take hits in a fight. Just consider cover and concealment differences for real world encounters.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Yup, its very a common practice to practice with air soft.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How realistically do the gas powered airsoft recoil? I'm like you guys, I want to be able to practice drawing AND shooting, plus different styles of techniques, aimed fire, point shooting, i.e. actually learning how to defend myself with the damn thing, yet I can't do these things at the regular range and it is really frustrating me! Precision shooting can only go so far...anyway, I'm thinking of getting a high quality gas air soft gun with a steel slide that I can practice defensive pistol craft with at my leisure, in my garage/home. Can this be done? Also how loud are the gas airsofts? Can you shoot them in a condo setting?

Where Airsoft really comes into play is for Force on Force training. They have a gun that matches the specs for most any weapon out there (or pretty darn close). Glocks, H&K's, Sigs, Colts, all the common weapons.

Ok, the weight isn't going to be the same, certainly not the recoil... but the point to "Force on Force" training is to hone your skills and tactics and that is where they really shine.

While they are little 6mm plastic pellets, that do sting, you can really get the poop scared out of you when your head is in the game and you practice realistic scenario's.

You really get to thinking of them as real guns and being able to seriously point out where you tactics are flawed.

I think if used properly, they can really improve your learning curve and be a sobering experience.

As far as how good the quality of Airsoft Guns are... you get what you pay for. The real cheap ones can be considered fragile and prone to breakage, but hey... at least they are affordable.

You can really get carried away spending money you don't have buying new training stuff... But Airsoft definitely has a place in your training regiment.
    Last edited by Bark'n; May 22nd, 2007 at 05:20 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

HnKuspDude:- Chief, I use a "WE M1911 Airsoft Gun & Gas Blowback Gun." It is identical to my 1911's except for an orange extension on the barrel. It has weight and a good recoil action. It's surprisingly accurate. Cost me about $100.00 from www.pyramidair.com . It is real fun to shoot.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    Airsoft guns a great training tools! Not just for indoors and at home but also in force on force.

The world of firearms training is changing very rapidly. The availability of airsoft guns to the general public is one of the main reasons. The advancement of the art is no longer dictated by a couple of guru's. The advancement of the art is coming from every corner of the world due to easily accessible force on force and the internet.

Great time to be a student!
    Well put!
    Beretta 92FS

At Gabe Suarez's recent FOF session in Manassas, I borrowed a Glock Airsoft from Jack Rumbaugh (a Suarez International Instructor).

His Glocks were first rate. They weighed and felt like a real Glock.
    The blowback was realistic also. These weren't some plastic piece of junk, these were high quality steel jobs.

Do they hurt? YessireeBobboy!! Not enough to make you want to quit but definitely enough that you don't go, "gee, did that hit me"?

I had quite a few bloody marks on my body and a got my fingers shot a lot. Even hurt thru the thin gloves I was wearing!! But with these things, there is no need for marking. You definitely know when you get shot.

Force on force is incredible at opening your eyes about armed defense.

Even though you know you aren't in any serious danger, just try it and see how quickly your nice crisp draw goes to hell when some dude is trying to hit you in the head with a training knife.

I also think that the Airsoft guns would be good to keep firing practice when you can't make it to the range.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I went to a Airsoft place today. If I were to walk into a "real" gunstore with this selection I would fall over dead.
    M4s
    AKs
    M1s
    Styers
    Sigs
    MP5s both suppressed and non
    M203s with 40mm bb grenade rounds
    bb hand grenades.
    shotguns You name it...they had it. I got to fondle a 1400.00 customized suppressed M4 that felt as real as the AR in my safe. ACOG, surefire forend, the whole "tacticool" setup. The also had a spittin image of a Wilson Combat 1911...all the way down to the Wilson Combat grip panels.
    I picked up a 3in 1911 style gas airsoft to use in the shed. I'm thinking about going back to pickup some of their "tac" gear for my SHTF kit.
    do NOT call them toys..at least where anyone can hear you :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Walmart has a airsoft PT111, and I carry a PT111... when my AFL is up, I will be using only an airsoft PT111... yep having .gov stomp on clause 2 of the 14th in WA state is not cool for us law abiding legal immigrants.. but what can I do... I just follow the rules until I become a US citizen...

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)
    I don't use an airsoft, but I do use a CO2 pellet gun which is the same size and approximate weight as my Beretta Elite II.

It doesn't blow back, but it's very accurate as far as I can take it in my basement-about forty feet.

It's good enough for draw-from-concealment practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links