Gas Prices Limit Training Area

This is a discussion on Gas Prices Limit Training Area within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Every year since my retirement from law enforcement, I have sought out and trained with some of the best known firearms instructors* in the country. ...

Thread: Gas Prices Limit Training Area

Gas Prices Limit Training Area

Every year since my retirement from law enforcement, I have sought out and trained with some of the best known firearms instructors* in the country.

This year, with the price of gasoline presently $3.299 per gallon here, I'm going to have to stay closer to home (Central Kentucky).

Anyone know of any defensive handgun &/or urban rifle (carbine) courses being taught this summer or fall within a hundred miles or so of Lexington, KY? PM me if you prefer.

* Don't want to name drop but you should easily recognize most of them.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Leaving aside training area choices I admit that my excursions far afield just to attend shoots has been cut back considerably.

Apologies - didn't mean to hijack your prime request! I seem to think I have not yet said a welcome to you - so Welcome
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Your in luck, you are pretty close to one of the best kept gun secrets in Ohio...
    http://www.tdiohio.com/

It might be a little more than 100 miles, but you can do weekend packages if you like, its well worth it. I will vouch for the staff and facility, top notch group of guys.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont know of any courses close to you since i am not from the area , i will say that the price of fuel will see to it that i get no training , or a go away vactation this year , heck ill be doing good to pay for what i need to to farm and ranch . I picked up a weekend job on road construction just to help make ends meet .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sixto,

Thanks. You're right on the money about John and his staff at TDI Ohio. I've been there a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed the very professional instruction. I'll re-check their schedule to see if there's anything I would be interested there this season.

Administrator
    Another idea is to get some of your pals together and bring instructors to you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I wish I had some gun pals; much less enough to justify bringing in a trainer. Well, local pals i.e., I'd like to think I have a bunch of gun pals here.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I wish I had some gun pals; much less enough to justify bringing in a trainer. Well, local pals i.e., I'd like to think I have a bunch of gun pals here.
    Ha, my wife calls my forum buddies my 'imaginary friends'.
    She's not being rude, just commenting on the times we live in.

Gas prices dictate a revision of my hourly rate, then I break even, sorry if those of you who aren't self-employed have that luxury. My wife drives a company car with unlimited gas for work and recreation. Times like this we really appreciate that.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain38 View Post
    Every year since my retirement from law enforcement, I have sought out and trained with some of the best known firearms instructors* in the country.

This year, with the price of gasoline presently $3.299 per gallon here, I'm going to have to stay closer to home (Central Kentucky).

Anyone know of any defensive handgun &/or urban rifle (carbine) courses being taught this summer or fall within a hundred miles or so of Lexington, KY? PM me if you prefer.

* Don't want to name drop but you should easily recognize most of them.

I understand your concern over gas prices... but why limit yourself? Let's say that last year, gas was $1.00 cheaper per gallon. If you get 25mpg, and drove 250 miles each way to get to your training destination, you would still only spend $20 more this year than last year. Why not just budget in that little bit extra, or skip the camp beer? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you what to do - but I just think you're psyching yourself out over what amounts to an insignificant overall price difference.

If I were to drive to Orlando from Virginia on vacation, that's about a 1400 mile round trip. My car gets about 25mpg on the highway (darn V8's), so it would take about 56 gallons of fuel to complete the trip. Here, the gas is $3.049/gal. Last year, it was about $2.799, only $0.25 cheaper. That's only a difference in gas costs of $13.50... for a vacation. That's like what, two cokes and a cotton candy?

Train wherever you want, and don't sweat the small stuff. Life's too short for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    awwwwwwwwwwwww :heart:

Links