One handed shooting

This is a discussion on One handed shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My friend Scott and I had a game we would play each time we went to the range. After talking smack for about fifty rounds ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One handed shooting

My friend Scott and I had a game we would play each time we went to the range. After talking smack for about fifty rounds we would put up fresh targets and start our game. It was a timed fire exercise that started ten rounds left hand only, then ten rounds two handed (gun in left) then ten rounds two handed, gun in right, then ten rounds right hand only. The final ten rounds were five left handed, five right handed. We would do this both slow and rapid fire. The thing that made it really interesting was that we played this game on bullseye targets at about ten yards. After a couple of weeks of this my weak hand really showed some improvement!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I practice one handed weak and strong side, close and far. I try to be as realistic as possible. Its like only practicing woth both arms extended and closing one eye, its just not practicle for ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    In addition to practicing one-handed shooting, we all ought to practice one handed weapon manipulation (reloads, malfunction clearance, drawing with the off hand). Being able to shoot one handed is great, but you need to be able to run the gun that way too. Transferring the weapon smoothly from one hand to the other is another good skill to develop.
    Awsome post brother. AWSOME. Very sound solid wisdom right here!
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    For those of you with way more experience how should one progress in self defense shooting skills? How accurate should one be with a two-handed shot from standing still? What should the order of the next steps be? One-handed, moving, prone, kneeling, drawing, and changing magazines, etc.? We can't learn them all at once. Is it better to be good or great in one shooting skill or fair in all of them? I know I can only learn one thing at a time. I've only been shooting for a couple of months. and would like to progress in skills. I'm sure it takes quite a while to become even remotely proficient in any one skill much less several of them.
    Honestly if I had to choose wether to bee good at one or only fair at all of them I would choose the latter. I do agree with Shackle though. Believe me it is worth every penny to get profesional training. As I've mentioned before though, if you just cannot afford it at the very least get some credible videos AND books. It beats nothing. It would be a big help to find a good reliable shooting partner who takes SD as seriously as you do.
    “You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links