How does one become an Instructor?

This is a discussion on How does one become an Instructor? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not. So if I am incorrect please accept my apologies. Due to some ...

Thread: How does one become an Instructor?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

How does one become an Instructor?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not. So if I am incorrect please accept my apologies.

Due to some renewed proding by my wife/family, I am considering taking the courses needed to become an instructor so that I may have the ability to teach CC courses in my home state (NC). A small part of the reason is some extra money, but mostly I enjoy teaching people usefull information (despite my somewhat playfull banter online, I do try to be a nice responsible citizen)

I would like to ask a few questions though as part of the information gathering.

1) Does anybody else do this, and if so do you enjoy it.

2) In all honesty would you sign up for such a course if you knew the instructor was my age (24)

3) If anybody is familar with NC law, what exact certifications are needed to become an instructor. I know one needs to take the Advanced NRA pistol course, but I know nothing after that.

Chances are my father in law will also be going though the courses at the same time, he has the land and I have the knowledge to build an indoor 2 or 3 lane range cheaply, and besides 2 possible people teaching others can be better than just one.

As usual all comments welcome, and if anybody believes me to be "too immature" or "ignorant" to go down this path, I will not be offended by hearing such, just try to leave my dog pepper out of such possible statements as he is old, cranky and can't read.

Thank you for any suggestions, tips, comments etc etc.

Shadowsbane
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

2. Remove Ads

contact the nra they should help you.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed I would also suggest - start with NRA.

I have no specific link but if you dig within nra.org - there is info on training instructors - and then you can follow up to hopefully find training councillors within reach of you.

Don't know what NC requires beyond that but - that's my suggested starting point - other than quizzing any current instructors you can find.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

cool.....thank you
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

I love teaching. So, yes teaching a firearm related course is very enjoyable to me. I would suggest that you look into it. NRA instructor courses are a good way to start.

Here's a link to the requirements for your state to be a CCW instructor:

http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...uctor_cert.jsp

Good luck!
    Jim "Doc" Amentler
    Semper Fidelis!

U.S. Navy Corpsman
    NRA Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor - Next Class:
    Sacramento, CA - July 07, 2007
    Orange, CA - July 15, 2007
    American Heart Association CPR & First Aid Instructor

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    http://www.nrahq.org/education/train...State=NC&Type=
    Go to the link above and you'll bring this up.

AYDEN - Friday, July 20, 2007, 1424 E HANRAHAN RD, $200
    LESLIE D MAY, 252-714-0067. , LMAYGUNSHOP@WMCONNECT.COM
    Class types: Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Instructor Training

Leslie Is a LEO down in North Carolina not sure which county or city but he is an outstanding guy and instructor very soft spoken.

AYDEN - Saturday, July 28, 2007, 1424 E HANRAHAN RD, $250
    LESLIE D MAY, 252-714-0067. , LMAYGUNSHOP@WMCONNECT.COM
    Class types: Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, Instructor Training

Charlotte - Saturday, June 23, 2007, 3203 Carowinds Blvd, $130
    Elizabeth Saunders, Training Counselor, 704-574-4574. , elizabeth@shootingsafe.com
    Class types: Basic Shotgun, Instructor Training

Elizabeth and Dewayne are down on the NC/ SC border. There an outstanding pair.

Creedmoor - Saturday, June 30, 2007, NRA Rifle Instructor, $80
    Eric Shuford, Sr Training Counselor, (919) 303-5192. , eshuford@earthlink.net
    Class types: Basic Rifle, Instructor Training

Eric is a great guy as well hes been in the instructing business a long time.

Creedmoor - Saturday, August 25, 2007, NRA Shotgun Instructor, $80
    Class types: Basic Shotgun, Instructor Training

Creedmoor - Saturday, September 29, 2007, NRA Pistol Instructor, $80
    Class types: Basic Pistol, Instructor Training

Creedmoor - Saturday, October 20, 2007, NRA Per Prot in Home Instructor, $85
    Class types: Personal Protection, Instructor Training

Greenville - Saturday, June 09, 2007, 323 Clifton St. Suite 11, $175
    Tim Jones, 252-412-6648. , ktrp@Suddenlink.Net
    Class types: Basic Pistol, Instructor Training

Ret Sgt Major very good and he really knows his ****. If memory recalls me correctly he works alot with Leslie May.

All these people can certify you as an NRA instructor.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

To teach the classes for the NC CCH permit, you will also need to be certified by the NC Department of Justice, Criminal Justice Standards Division. In addition to the NRA certification, you will need to attend a course at the police academy entitled "Laws Governing Concealed Handgun and Use of Deadly Force". Call them (Salemburg) for a schedule.

Submit the documentation for the above and a course outline for the material you are planning to teach. You can create your own course outline for approval or you can use their "model course". The application form can be found on the link provided by DocAmentler above.

It sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through but it really isn't that much trouble. There is a lot of waiting involved.

Randy

Wow lots of info....

I have actually met Eric (I believe) and he is indeed very cool.

Thank you all for the info.....it does seem like a few hoops but I figured that would be the case. I will probally post some sorta update later on, once I know if the wife will go along with such undertaking.

Thank you again.

Administrator
    NRA is a good place to start, but dont stop there. NRA courses are far to basic dog and pony shows if you ask me. They will get your foot in the door though. You not only need to be a good CCW instructor, but you will be acting as rangemaster, gunsmith, salesman, lawyer and sometimes "Daddy" to your students.
    IMO, you need some legal training as well. You also need to keep current on the legal topics.
    Then start building a reputation. Perhaps get a P/T job at a local range or offer to do a class or two cheap. Word of mouth is the best advertisment.
    "Just blame Sixto"

With the exceptions of PPOTH and PPITH, the NRA's basic training courses are not designed to teach someone how to carry a handgun or how use it for self defense.

I am not certain how or why "firearms safety" and the "fundamentals of shooting" (regardless of the discipline) are classified as "dog and pony shows". Can you elaborate on that?

Randy

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    With the exceptions of PPOTH and PPITH, the NRA's basic training courses are not designed to teach someone how to carry a handgun or how use it for self defense.

I am not certain how or why "firearms safety" and the "fundamentals of shooting" (regardless of the discipline) are classified as "dog and pony shows". Can you elaborate on that?

Randy
    Because they are far to basic classes to be able to say that their grads. are instructors. I wasnt talking about the basic courses, I was talking about the "instructor" courses offered by the NRA.
    The dog and pony show comment was about the fact that every NRA course I ever took, those who should have failed didnt as long as they paid the money required to attend. This should not be with instructor level courses. Dont get me wrong, there is a lot off good info in them and worth the time to attend.
    Even the shooting portion of the NRA instructor classes that I have attended were a joke. It was try and try and try again until you passed, even then a lot of that was passed with a wink and nod.

My point in all this is not meant as an attack on the NRA, but I want to make my point that a instructor self defense instructor needs a little more than what the NRA has to offer. If you just want to pass out CCW tests and sign certificates, thats OK. To me thats not a instructor.
    "Just blame Sixto"

With respect, it sounds like you are taking the faults or shortcomings of your instructor(s) and transferring them to the NRA and their programs.

If someone does not pass the "test" or "pre course assessment", as it is called, they are not ready to become certified instructors. Because the person training these people didn't follow NRA policy doesn't mean the NRA's programs are defective in some way.

The shooting "test" is not there to demonstrate high master bullseye type shooting ability, but to simply see that you know what you are doing with the handgun. More precisely, it is a measure of your ability to execute the fundamentals of safe gun handling and pistol shooting. Something you need to be able to do if you are going to teach it to others.

To clarify another point, NRA basic pistol instructors are NOT "self defense" instructors and the course material in the basic pistol lesson plans has NOTHING to do with self defense. This is what I thought you were getting at in your first post and I wanted clarification from you to be sure. A lot of states will accept an NRA basic pistol, first steps, or home firearms safety course as proof of training or competency with a handgun and I think that is where the notion comes from that these courses are for self defense. They are not. They are designed to teach people how to be safe with a handgun and how to properly shoot a handgun.

In the course of learning any skill, one must crawl before they can walk. That is the case with shooting as well. One must first learn how to be safe with a handgun then learn how to shoot the handgun. After that, the various aspects of self defense can be safely and effectively taught.

The NRA has done an excellent job in terms of preparing course material and lesson plans for the lessons being taught. If instructor trainers are not following the policies and guidelines for teaching said instructor development courses, they should be retrained or removed from the ranks. They are a detriment to the program.

As an example of this, do you see how one bad instructor negatively influenced your opinion of the NRA's programs?

I totally agree that someone teaching self defense, be it with open hands, handgun, knife, OC, taser, kubotan, etc., should have training other than what's provided in the NRA's programs for their basic classes. Again, they (the NRA) are not training you to become a self defense type instructor - that isn't the goal of their basic courses at all.

Randy

Administrator
    Randy, I don’t disagree with a single thing you have said but I do think we are misunderstanding each other.
    My whole point is that a good instructor needs to have far more experience and training himself that goes far beyond what the NRA has to offer. I am getting at real world experiences, and plenty of time on the range as a range master.
    You are correct that many of the NRA offering are not self defense in anyway, most people take these classes not understanding the difference between the two. I agree the practical portions are not and should not be a bulls eye ability test, even so many should not pass that do pass anyway. FWIW, I stink at bulls eye shooting.

Yeah I do see how one bad instructor can taint the whole barrel... been there and done that. In fact, that one instructor must have tainted a whole lot, because I have lost a lot of respect for the NRA's training program. My experiences that I noted seem to be standard across the board, I have taken plenty of NRA courses, and will continue to as long as they come out with new stuff.
    I started with them years ago, taking everything that was offered that I could. After doing the same in the Army, I become a NRA instructor and worked at one of the largest and busiest ranges in the country. I expanded my knowledge base far beyond what the NRA gives and now understand that there is a much larger world out there.
    I do hold certificates to teach self defense to L.E. on local, state and federal levels. Subguns, tac rifle, handgun, shotgun, vehicle, unarmed, less lethal, Taser... I can go on and on. Basically, if LEO's have access to the tool, I can teach it. I do work part time in a well known academy doing both basic and advance courses. I used to do civilian stuff, but grew tired of it quickly.
    I still teach a private executive protection course from time to time, and that is loads of fun for me and the students.
    Anyway, I'm rambling now... I think the point I was getting at is that there is a much larger world out there than what the NRA has to offer, I would prefer if new guys wanting to get in on this understood this from day one. NRA is a great place to start, but is by no means a good place to end.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think the point I was getting at is that there is a much larger world out there than what the NRA has to offer
    I agree completely.

To add to what you stated, as an instructor or instructor trainer, it is very important (IMO) that your own personal training and development continues throughout your career. This isn't (unfortunately) the category where a lot of "instructors" fall. They will take one or two classes and then fail to continue their own education.

The point I was trying to make is that for the level of courses the NRA offers, their lesson plans and course goals would be difficult to match elsewhere. I don't mean to imply there isn't anything beyond this basic training. Certainly, there's a whole world of more advanced training out there.

Randy

Links