Anger and/or Ego kills.

This is a discussion on Anger and/or Ego kills. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have discussed before that us who carry must make the effort to leave our egos home and to control our anger. This is not ...

Thread: Anger and/or Ego kills.

VIP Member

Anger and/or Ego kills.

We have discussed before that us who carry must make the effort to leave our egos home and to control our anger. This is not gun related but I think it has relevant to the point we make almost every day.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A Fort Lauderdale woman was dragged to her death as she tried to stop a driver fleeing from a traffic collision Sunday night, police said.
    The victim has been identified as 44-year-old Sandra Hall.

According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, Hall was in a green Cadillac that was hit by a white Dodge Caravan. The Dodge Caravan reportedly fled the crash scene, and the Cadillac followed.

Both vehicles later stopped in heavy traffic. Authorities said that's when the woman got out of the Cadillac to confront the Dodge Caravan's driver.

"The woman got out of her vehicle. She then went over to the suspect's vehicle and stood in front to try to stop it. That driver then struck the woman and dragged her for a distance of several miles," said BSO spokesman Mike Jachles.

Authorities said that Hall initially held onto the hood of the Dodge Caravan. She then fell off and became lodged underneath and was dragged from Peters Road and State Road 7 in Fort Lauderdale to McNab Road in North Lauderdale. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hall was angry that her car had been hit by a driver who sped away, and was killed after the she chased down the driver of the white minivan, which had hit her car at Peters Road and State Route 7 in Ft. Lauderdale, then got out of the car in Lauderdale Lakes to confront the man behind the wheel.

As the male passenger inside her car watched in horror, police say Hamze smashed into the angry victim, who was trapped under the minivan and dragged for miles
    into North Lauderdale, before her lifeless body finally dropped from the undercarriage of the van.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    yuck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Um. Ouch. License plate number, description, 911. Better a few dents and scratches then to be dragged to death, no?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

We need a law against these automobiles and drivers too.
    First 40 people in DC then this lady too all victimized by automobiles and the people who possess them. Cars are all over the place and the laws toward owning one are totally lax.

Had there been a law in place to limit and restrict access to these automobiles then the lady would never have been killed!

BTW where were the cops?
    All you gotta do when in trouble is dial 9-1-1 and the cops will appear in a literal instant, if not moments prior to scat hitting fans.

- Sarah Brady

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." - Yoda
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Had there been a law in place to limit and restrict access to these automobiles then the lady would never have been killed!

- Sarah Brady
    Please, think of the children!

Last time I was in Florida I was sideswiped by a Caddy, which then continued driving down the middle lane of the road as everyone else was stopped in traffic. Being dumb I followed it while on the phone with the police, and finally some other people blocked the middle lane and stopped the Caddy.

The cops did show up several minutes later, they had been half a mile behind up in traffic and it took them several minutes to get there. The driver, a very elderly woman (I think she was 83 or so), said she kept driving because she was afraid I would beat her up. Yes, me, with my father and younger brother in a MINIVAN. I think she honestly didn't know she hit me, but I never got out of my vehicle or talked to her.

That is unfortunate for the lady. It's kind of hard to react calmly right after someone runs into your car and just keeps driving, I wasn't even mad when it happened to me, I just wanted her to stop so that we could get insurance info and stuff. And had I not followed her at all I wouldn't of even gotten her license plate.

How do you keep driving for miles knowing that you are dragging a living person underneath? That is just so wrong.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well that is the last time either one will pull that stunt...

Sponsor
    It's amazing how many people don't think to grab a plate number immediately but choose other options without thinking things through.

When working in LE, the number of times we responded to accidents or otherwise when a plate could have been obtained, even by witnesses, and wasn't was simply amazing.

The lady, as unfortunate as what happened to her, made mistakes, it cost her her life. Lessons learned from others mistakes should not go unnoticed by any of us.

I made damned sure my wife was very congnizant of taking plates immediatley in any instance whether a witness or actually being involved. There's a pad of paper and pen always near by in both vehicles for times like these.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

That is why there is no-fault insurance folks. Get their license number as they drive away and call LE. Let them handle it. What a dumb thing to die over.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Cars are all over the place and the laws toward owning one are totally lax.

It's crazy. I heard somewhere that all you need to do is show a drivers license, pay the money and you can just drive away in a new car that day. No mandatory waiting period.

someone standing in front of an automobile and trying to stop it is a darwin candidate anyway

Did I read right that the victim had a male passenger in her car? The story doesn't clarify whose car he was in, or his age.

Why wasn't this guy on the phone with 9-1-1 while she was driving, or why didn't he get out to confront rather than her . . .not that I am in any way condoning a confrontation, but I sure wouldn't let the lady get out of the car.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

WOW!! That's messed up!
    You come at me with a sword and with a spear. But I come at you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you". 1 Samuel 17, 45-46
    Brian

VIP Member
    Yes, the boyfriend was driving the SUV was the one who gave chase. I imagine bouth got caught feeding each other's anger and that is why she got out of the car trying to stop the other idiot.

The "alleged" killer is muslim (alien status unknown at this time) and was caught at JFK inside the plane as it was about to roll off the terminal. He is muslim and suspicious as hell from what I gathered from a couple of interviews from the neighbors.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- A man was being detained in New York for the death of a woman who was dragged for several miles under a minivan after trying to stop the driver from fleeing a collision, officials said Monday.

Abdelaziz Bilal Hamze, 24, was detained on Delta flight 132 bound for Athens, Greece, Broward County Sheriff's spokesman Elliot Cohen said. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detained him while the plane was pulling away from the gate at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, Cohen said.

Broward sheriff's deputies were en route to New York to interview Hamze, who is a U.S. citizen, Cohen said. He will be charged with first degree murder, Cohen said.

Hamze has been accused in the dragging death of 44-year-old Sandra Hall, of Fort Lauderdale. She was in a Cadillac struck by the minivan Sunday night, Broward County sheriff's officials said.

Hamze was identified after a man called authorities and told investigators he had been contacted by Hamze. The caller said that several months ago he sold Hamze the 1999 Dodge minivan involved in Hall's death, and that Hamze had contacted him after the killing
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Yeah she didn't exercise good judgement there, but let's overlook that for a second.

I guess this thinking is the sort of thing that seperates us from the BGs. But considering how long it would take to drag someone over a mile, I can't help but think the BG was enjoying themself/themselves.

I would use deadly force to protect my family, but I can't imagine what sort of callous disregard for human life it would take for someone to willfully run over, and drag a human being, who was no threat to them, down the road to their death. Imagine the sound that it must have made, with the poor woman screaming all the while. Yet the BG driving kept their foot on the pedal until she was dead. I know there are worse stories in the news all the time, but for some reason this one really gets to me.

Just my $0.02

Edited to add...

The "alleged" killer is muslim (alien status unknown at this time) and was caught at JFK inside the plane as it was about to roll off the terminal. He is muslim and suspicious as hell from what I gathered from a couple of interviews from the neighbors.

Why am I not surprised?

I have plenty to say about this, but I won't.
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; June 5th, 2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Didn't read down far enough...

Links