Is this a good idea?

Is this a good idea?

This is a discussion on Is this a good idea? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for some advice. I've been carrying for over a year and have not taken any formal advanced training. Sure I've watched videos, practiced ...

Thread: Is this a good idea?

Is this a good idea?

I'm looking for some advice. I've been carrying for over a year and have not taken any formal advanced training. Sure I've watched videos, practiced with dry gun at home, range practice, and private land shooting range with an emphasis on moving and shooting, cover, reloads, etc... many of this along side friends and family who are LEO's.
    My local shop has a lazer traning room and offers some classes on combat handgunning and home defense. I saw this advertised on a state gun site and wondered if it looks like something to pursue or should I invest in another/better class.
    http://www.racstraining.com/
    It doesn't look like there is much by way of hands on practice, but most of what we prepare for is mental anyhow, right? The price of $99 seems good too. What do you think? I should say that I'm not interested in starting a debate about who has the best training class, but rather if this is the kind of training I should be spending money on. Please help.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personally i would fold that franklin in half , bury it in the cookie jar and keep adding to it until i could take the course of choice . All training is good ( in some you learn what to do , and in some you learn what not to do ) , but at your level the most bang for you buck is to save a bit more and attend a nationally recognized and court defensible training such as LFI or Gunsight or one of Farnahms that he puts on . Once you have a foundation of training then play with the " mini " courses that interest you .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Looks like you could learn something according to the information I read, and even if you already know the points they cover it is probably worth $100 for a concentrated reiteration.
    I also note that Dave Spaulding is there, that could be interesting.

I agree that you should attend a recognized class that covers self defense in great detail, I also think that you could gain something from this seminar.

If you decide to attend let us know what you thought.

Senior Moderator
    I say, go for it, if you want to.

While all training is going to help, no matter what, if you are tight for money I would save up for a nice defensive pistol class.

First, start out with some basic defensive pistol training in a course that gives out a certificate of completion or something similar.

Most advanced (or further advanced) trainings require you to have completed some type of basic firearms training and to be able to show proof of that. Sometimes your CCW class will suffice (if your state required a CCW class) sometimes only that particular companies basic training class will suffice.

However, as stated, no training is bad training, it's just another tool in the tool box. If money is not an option for you, then go ahead and do the laser training. You very well may learn something you never knew before.

And as 0.02 said, let us know how it was if you do go!

Sponsored Links