NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (basic and instructor training)

This is a discussion on NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (basic and instructor training) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We will be offering the NRA's new personal protection outside the home (PPOTH) course, both student and instructor levels, on July 27 - 29 near ...

Thread: NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (basic and instructor training)

NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (basic and instructor training)

We will be offering the NRA's new personal protection outside the home (PPOTH) course, both student and instructor levels, on July 27 - 29 near Staunton, Va.

People wishing to attend the student portion of this course will have already successfully completed an NRA basic pistol or FIRST steps course.

Instructor candidates will already hold the "certified instructor" rating in pistol and personal protection in the home.

Please contact me via email for additional information.

randy@dt-concepts.com

Randy

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I have that book. It's very good.

One thing I found interestingly absent, though, is mention of the subject of carrying with a round chambered or not.

It's almost universally considered risky to not carry a chambered round; but the book deals with so many other do/don't do situations, I'm surprised that it doesn't warn against the folly of carrying with an empty chamber. It talks about time dilation, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, shock, loss of fine motor coordination, all the things that affect us under the stress of an attack, and then it says nothing about making sure that you don't have to remember to rack the slide when you draw your gun for defense.

I hope they revise the book eventually and include mention of this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    You can pass remarks like that to JHoward@NRAHQ.org.

NRA relies on its instructors to send in remarks and give feedback on issues when it comes to training.

It is a comfort thing. Basically its up to the individual to make a decision on how to carry. Some people still believe modern day semi's go off when you drop them. That makes them uncomfortable to carry one in the chamber, some people are scared to carry a round in the chamber because they are affraid they will shoot them self coming out of the holster or reholstering, there so confinced they will screw up they know how not to but they will do it anyway. Kind of like if someone tells you "Heres a Cup of water, DON'T you dare spill it!!!! You have a much better chance of spilling it, because you've confinced yourself you might. Some people still carry Single action well guns with no transfer bar.

Basically the course is set up so its assumed you are always carrying one in the chamber, but when it comes down to individual comfort levels there is no outside right answer. just the level of that particular individual.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I have that book. It's very good.

One thing I found interestingly absent, though, is mention of the subject of carrying with a round chambered or not.

It's almost universally considered risky to not carry a chambered round; but the book deals with so many other do/don't do situations, I'm surprised that it doesn't warn against the folly of carrying with an empty chamber. It talks about time dilation, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, shock, loss of fine motor coordination, all the things that affect us under the stress of an attack, and then it says nothing about making sure that you don't have to remember to rack the slide when you draw your gun for defense.

I hope they revise the book eventually and include mention of this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

In our intermediate level handgun class, the students find out for themselves *just how long* it takes to chamber a round when carrying in that condition. Without seeing a group run through this drill, you wouldn't believe the number of people who will fumble the process with just the mild stress of the timer (and, of course, their onlooking classmates). I am a firm believer that one should carry with a loaded chamber. That said...

Even though we do this drill (and most everyone will come to the same conclusion), I still will not tell someone else they MUST carry with a loaded chamber. I cannot make that decision for them. I give them the information, they see how works, and then they can make an informed decision.

I think it would be a good idea to include this information as well, so long as it wasn't done as a recommendation. Present the information and let the reader decide.

Randy

Links