Any tips for my upcoming CCW class?

This is a discussion on Any tips for my upcoming CCW class? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in great anticipation for my upcoming class tomorrow, and was wondering if there was any tips from the experienced that I should know ...

Thread: Any tips for my upcoming CCW class?

I am in great anticipation for my upcoming class tomorrow, and was wondering if there was any tips from the experienced that I should know for my first CCW class. I'm heading there early to practice, I was wondering how good of a shot do I need to be? At 20ft, I can make a group about the size of my fist fairly easily. Some times smaller. Sometimes not, lol. Is that good enough? I've never really tried to shoot further away. Should I try a little before the class? Thanks for any help,
    Nick

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you should do fine from what I have read here about TX CCW classes.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    First of all welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you will do fine with the shooting.

Just listen and ask questions if you have them. There are no stupid questions. Ok, that's not true there are plenty of stupid questions and I have heard a lot of them. Ask anyway. That's how you learn.

Again, welcome.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

at mine we never got shot further than 7 yards and they specifically told us not to worry about how accurate we shot. the aim was to get them on a piece of paper and actually semi spread out shots were better anyways because they do the most damage. if you shoot three times at someone and they all go in the same place, then you might as well have only shot once. anyways it was more about tactics and gun safety. dont worry about it. have fun and learn a lot

Great, thanks for the input, makes me feel a lo better. Well, I have to hit the sack, I've got to get up at 6am for practice, I'll let you know how it goes,
    Nick

Most states' CCW classes are intended to convince idiots that their permit does not entitle them to get into gunfights over who gets the parking space. I doubt it will seriously challenge your marksmanship or teach you much of anything about the practical (as opposed to legal) aspects of concealed carry.

VIP Member
    Good luck on the CCW class. My wife and I took our class about two months ago here in Louisiana. Previously we'd both been through handgun qualifications that was more difficult. Actually the CCW shoot, was too easy. I'm sure you won't have any problem shooting, though I don't know exactly what you have to do in Texas. Not knowing everyone elses skill level, my one and only apprehension at the CCW range was my own personal worry of one of the other shooters accidentally shooting one of us.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sponsored Links