Wrist Locks, Joint Locks, Chokes ect

This is a discussion on Wrist Locks, Joint Locks, Chokes ect within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I ran into this place and joined for 20 bucks a month. Lots of info, a forum and he puts up 2- 15-30 minute video's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist Locks, Joint Locks, Chokes ect

I ran into this place and joined for 20 bucks a month. Lots of info, a forum and he puts up 2- 15-30 minute video's a week on different aspects of self defense. This weeks was getting out of a choke, and wrist locks. He will also make you a custom training video for 25 bucks on any subject wou want. Really Neat site, check it out

http://impactninjutsu.com/index.php
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Hmmmmm I practice Aikido which specializes in wrist and joint locks among much more. It's a painful discipline simply because you have to have it done to you so that you know it's being effective. Slapping the gi-pants or the mat is frequent and fast. This indicates a high level of pain and the hold must stop. We want each other to get it right so we make that sacrifice. I'd be leery of remote control instruction because improperly applied "holds" or "kata" (Aikido really doesn't use kata) can be worse than TOO effective it might not be effective at all! I'll stick with my sensei.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I agree, but I figure this is better than no training at all. I dont have time to go to a live class. Learning something is better than learning nothing, and it is only 20 bucks a month for 8 or 10 training videos.

I didnt figure I would become a Ninja overnight.

They are pretty good vids!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Sponsor
    I'm with ExSoldier on this.

No training short of hands by someone who understands how to apply them correctly and more importantly when they might be applied will be worth much other than demo purposes.

I worked over a fellow in Valrico Fla who was a body builder just last night before flying home this afternoon. If they were not applied properly, he'd have been able to get out of them or worse, not let me apply them to begin with.

Hands on in these skills will be emminently more effective at learning the "how to" correctly. Applied wrong, or attempted at the wrong time will result in yourself potentially being taken for a ride by thinking you've got the skills to control when you don't.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Online martial arts class...what is next?

Gross motor skill - punch somebody in the throat.
    Fine motor skill - grab the wrist just like so, grab thumb with one hand, 4 fingers with other, step towards person whilst pressing down and in towards you in a clockwise direction. Keep pressing until subject buckles under pain. Hold there until (s)/he conforms to your directives.

Which one will take longer to perfect and to when to deliver? Which one is more likely to succeed in a violent free for all struggle?

Just as FOF w/ simunitions opens people's eyes, FOF with headgear and open tipped gloves will do the same.

H2H - get off the line of attack, attack fast and furious (your hard parts to the adversaries soft parts (eyes, throat, groin) using efficient and effective technique and then get the heck out of dodge.

Sponsor
    Online martial arts class...what is next?

God only knows 7677, god only knows

Hope all is well in your world. Stay sharp

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    I agree, but I figure this is better than no training at all. I dont have time to go to a live class. Learning something is better than learning nothing, and it is only 20 bucks a month for 8 or 10 training videos.

I didnt figure I would become a Ninja overnight.

They are pretty good vids!!!
    I understand that little training is better than no training. I have been involved with the Bujinkan Ninjutsu arts and I can tell you from experience that you cannot lear the art of ninjutsu from just watching it. You have to practice it and practice it. For about the first year of this art the ground will become your friend. 98% of the time you will end up on the ground with someone on top of you so you. For the first 30 min or so of every class we do nothing but take falls and practice rolls. This is a very hard art to learn. My instructor has trained in this art for 25 years and trains at least twice a year with Dr. Hatsumi who is the grandmaster. I just hope that the videos are very detailed and show every point and angle because you can get hurt very easy in this art if you are not careful. TRUST ME.

Cool There is one teeeeny problem

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Gross motor skill - punch somebody in the throat.
    Fine motor skill - grab the wrist just like so, grab thumb with one hand, 4 fingers with other, step towards person whilst pressing down and in towards you in a clockwise direction. Keep pressing until subject buckles under pain. Hold there until (s)/he conforms to your directives.

Which one will take longer to perfect and to when to deliver? Which one is more likely to succeed in a violent free for all struggle?

Just as FOF w/ simunitions opens people's eyes, FOF with headgear and open tipped gloves will do the same.

H2H - get off the line of attack, attack fast and furious (your hard parts to the adversaries soft parts (eyes, throat, groin) using efficient and effective technique and then get the heck out of dodge.
    Okay I agree with this in a street confrontation.

It doesn't go over too well at my work place. I teach in a violent inner city school. Teachers get assaulted all the dang time. We get guns and drugs on campus all the dang time. I tend to lose count of the number of times the cops haul one of our kids off to the slammer, either for a campus crime or a neighborhood crime.

By state law and union contract I get to defend myself against a personal assault on my person. My level of force is driven by the level of force used against me, so theoretically deadly force can be met with same. I still can't carry a weapon (knife, gun or taser) but there are all sorts of weapons if one cares to educate oneself.

The above being said, the system still really frowns on teachers who kick the crap outta their students even with justifiable self defense or defense of a third. It's a lot easier to get hurt in that kind of situation, too. Kids expect that kind of violence and they're really good at dealing with it. Some of my students are HUGE and STRONG, too. Way bigger than average. That's not a pleasant proposition for me. Martial arts sort of help, but not if they are too "hard" in their style. I find that for me sometimes I can "solve" a situation with a simple little wristlock and some humor. I'm no Aikido Master. Far from it. FAR FAR...but my study of Aikido has served me well a few times.

I prefer to out think the opposition. That's not tough. I also prefer to think outside the typical conflict resolution box. That works well for me too. My solutions are respected by faculty and student body alike. However in a small percentage of cases usually involving gang activity, I just step inside my room, lock the door and let the cops take over. lol I keep getting smarter like that. MS13 operates all around the perimter of the school. They're not actually in the student body because they can't read, can't write, and can't continue to add once they run out of fingers and toes.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ex - I agree w/ your situation. To me, it is along the line w/ LEO, bouncers, etc. ... Tasked to control the situation with the least amount of damage done to somebody else. In those cases, you are required to use the finesse of locks, etc. ... And everyone in your type of situation should be provided with training. And that traing sure as heck aint gonna come from a DVD.

And I sympathise. My karate instructor is LEO and I train with other LEO's. I end up training all this wrist lock / take down / come along type stuff. Why, cause that is what is important to them.

"They're not actually in the student body because they can't read, can't write, and can't continue to add once they run out of fingers and toes." Now that there is funny!

I don't mean this as a flame but I think you should make time for classes. Videos may be able to show you a great idea but you'll never learn it that way. Worse than that if the SHTF you won't react from watching a video. I have been injured under close supervision. Doing anything alone just won't work for me.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Lead Moderator
    Learning even the basics of wrist locks/take down moves and how to apply them right takes hands on time. I think you might be better suited buying a kick/punch bag and practice punches and kicks than try to learn take down moves from a video.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would have to agree with glocksmygun on that you had better know the subtleties that make the techniques work. I have been training in this art for a LONG time and to the average person you would probably be lucky to get 25% of what I see in the technique. I don't know what material you are actually getting and training on... but you need a BODY to train with as well.

If they are only demonstrating punching, kicking, basic rolling and breakfalls, sure, it may not be a bad deal. You can learn from videos, I am not saying that you can't. However, if you are training with a partner, you may be placing them in danger as well. If you are training with a partner...GO SLOW. NO... I am SERIOUS!!! GO SLOW! You will learn more and both of you will be MUCH safer!!!

Back in my security days Me and a couple co-workers learned a few great atakedowns from video, but we practiced them on eachother. Not just trying to learn by looking. I think the vids could be useful. I also think that unless you are going to practice, don't try to learn many. Learn 2 and get good at them. Stay good at them. The more you learn the more you have ot practice to be able to use any of them effectively.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Hmmmmm I practice Aikido
    me too..I'm a blue belt in Aikido and Aiki Jiu-Jitsu. I haven't practiced for a little bit but love these disciplines.

I have been grappling a lot more lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links