Martial arts anyone??

Martial arts anyone??

This is a discussion on Martial arts anyone?? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody study/practice any of the martial arts? I've seriously been thinking of getting into it. I've always wanted to learn, and I think it would ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Martial arts anyone??

Martial arts anyone??

Anybody study/practice any of the martial arts? I've seriously been thinking of getting into it. I've always wanted to learn, and I think it would be a good way to get in shape and maybe lose a few LBS' and maybe learn a lil self discipline and self defense. So what do you practice? I've thought about Aikido, or maybe Juijitsu.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Ron
    I have practiced Okinawan Shido Kan Karate for over 25 years. I can tell you that not only is it a great physical workout, but, even more importantly, if you stick with it, it will provide you with mental and spiritual balance and peace. And, of course, you will be much more capable of defending yourself in close quarters combat.

It is also very important to find the right school, where the sensei is not all macho and full of himself. Try to find a school that teaches in the more traditional way, where respect and courtesy is an important part of the training.
    Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Um.... it depends on the type of person you are. If your a big guy Aikido will be hard for you. I never found it easy to be thrown. My brain is always trying to avoid the throw. My advice is visit a school that teaches a "blend" of the majors. Your learning won't be one sided that way.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Lapsed Tae Kwon Do practitioner here. My advice is always practice makes perfect. Just about any martial art will be a good companion to CCW as they almost all teach self confidence, self awareness and immediate action drills.

They'll all give you practice in both mental and physical aspects of self defense. That being said, what style really depends on what YOU envision, want and are comfortable doing.

Take me for example. I was not so great at basketball, but good in soccer. Hardly ever got in fights but when I did I was hard to hit but then again didn't really throw punches either. For me Tae Kwon Do as a kicking and more distanced art worked better.

Now that I'm older and have had more mixed training, I'd go for escrima.

I practice Gun-Fu quite often! Seriously, I took Judo while in college but only for a brief period.
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    Anybody study/practice any of the martial arts? I've seriously been thinking of getting into it. I've always wanted to learn, and I think it would be a good way to get in shape and maybe lose a few LBS' and maybe learn a lil self discipline and self defense. So what do you practice? I've thought about Aikido, or maybe Juijitsu.
    There are a lot of "it depends" to answer that, such as: 1) how much time do you want to and are WILLING to put into it. 2) what is your PRIMARY reason for taking any lessons in martial arts, Survival, phys ed, MMA, etc...?

I started out in Hapkido in Highschool back in oh '94 I think(United States Karate Center under Master Thomas). I took that throughout the rest of my HS years in NoVA when my parents moved us out here. Long story short - I was the new kid on the block that kept getting my butt kicked, so my parents agreed to enroll me in martial arts. Hapkido isn't something you just pickup right away though. It's like most traditional martial arts and takes many years to master.

Problem is there's a whole new breed of BG's out there these days. You need something to cover all the bases.
    I did do some BJJ when I was in college in Florida (my roommate was a blue belt so I got free lessons). I tried TaeKwonDo when I got out of school (around 20) and found it utterly useless unless you happen to be in a Karate tournament or the BG you're facing happens to follow rules (which we all know doesn't happen).

What I found a few years ago to be most effective (for me anyway) was Haganah. In the US it's known as the F.I.G.H.T system. It's more or less a mix of various martial arts mainly from Israel (KAPAP/LOTAR, Hisardut(which also includes a lot of KAPAP and LOTAR, Jujitsu, traditional Karate, etc...). The idea behind it is to be able to deploy an effective defensive and hand to hand combat technique as quickly and effectively as possible. You train in 3 month rotations. You don't have to be rambo, or an expert martial artist to learn either. You can start with ZERO knowledge and you learn rapidly because of the way it's taught. Most of our class could hold our own in full contact sparring sessions within 4 months. And there's no "belt" system. So there's no BS'ing yourself out there and saying look at me...I'm a "whatever" belt in Haganah. If you hear that from anyone...they're full of it.

You're not only taught self defense against unarmed opponents, but also armed oponents with both edged weapons and firearms (we used blue/red guns in class of course). If you're Current or former military or LE certain schools (mainly the head office in FL) will also teach counterterrorism techniques (ie dealing with bus/suicide bombers, etc... - It's from Israel, whatdaya expect).

You can find schools near you here: http://fight2survive.com/default.aspx

That's where I found the school I went to. The only thing to remember...If you're in this for trying to get into MMA...FORGET IT! Haganah/FIGHT was not designed to win competitions. It was designed to teach you to survive any encounter no matter the cost. Originally in FIGHT there were only 2 main objectives to accomplish once you're "engaged": Incapacitate or Terminate. They later added Take down submissions (due to the need for LE). So you see where this one is going. The reason for incapacitation is simple. Do you want to take someone down and then walk away, only for them to get back up and have another chance to come at you again? Of course not!

Hope my long-winded response helps.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Man, that FIGHT system sounds great. Unfortunately according to the link you provided there isn't anywhere to learn it in NC

FMC

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaycraft View Post
    Man, that FIGHT system sounds great. Unfortunately according to the link you provided there isn't anywhere to learn it in NC

FMC
    Bummer. Sorry man. I've been out for going on 2 years now, but if I get the chance to spend any time in florida I'm going to try to get in some classes down there with the founder.

At any rate there are other useful systems as others in this thread have already alluded to. Look around, try different systems out, and find out what works best for you. Personally, I think it's important not to limit yourself to one style anymore anyway(if it wasn't already obvious). There are too many folks out there that are really well rounded. They know how to fight on the street, they know how to fight on the ground, they know how to fight standing up, you get the idea. That's also one of the things I think people fail to realize especially now with all the MMA fights that are broadcasted on TV these days. It's garnered up so much more interest in the SPORT. Most of the MMA stuff these days is good, but the styles people see in those MMA fights on TV aren't necessarily good on the street. All the BJJ stuff does you no good if you foul your hands, nuckles, back, etc... up on the street crawling around on the asphalt. That's where being well rounded and familiar with other techniques comes into play.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Kung-Fu rules all! My buddy knows some eagle claw and wing Chung. Doesnt work in UFC or IFL cause 90% of the moves are not allowed.
    I saw him at a punk show once brawlin with three skin heads, one of them a jujitsu master. It was a mismatch to say the least-for the three.Looked like some Matix stuff or somethin he was doin. Kung Fu is rare and expensive, but brutal above ALL the japanese systems.

VIP Member
    I've been wanting to find something locally for awhile, and I see their is a FIGHT school here,
    thanks for the info nova
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I've been practicing Okinawan Kenpo for almost the past three years... if you can find a good instructor it's a great study. But it is highly dependent on the instructor. Personally I would recommend avoiding the Dillman schools. I would also recommend avoiding Tae Kwon Do, it's really an art designed for competition and that's it.
    And follow what Ron said, you're much better off with a traditional school then one of the strip mall karate schools.

Good luck.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I've been wanting to find something locally for awhile, and I see their is a FIGHT school here,
    thanks for the info nova
    Ask them if they offer a week free trial or anything too. A lot of them offer to allow you to take the classes for a week free to see if you like it and/or if it fits what you're looking for.

-The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I've been doing Aikido for 3 or so years now. It's not something that gives instant results. It's as much of a lifestyle as a fighting skill. The fitness effects are less than other arts, but you can continue doing it for many years.

Watch out for McDojos, and Bulshido. TKD, especially the ATA is really bad about this (about as martial as an aerobics class). It's fine as a sport but no practical skills involved. I've seen "Tae Kwon Do Karate", "Karate Fitness", and Shoto Kan with nunchucks and fighting fans. research the art before you get involved.

Rules of thumb:
    The secret family art that was passed down through generations in Japan and is now taught by a guy named Fred, is fake.
    The guy who founded his own school with his own style, is a Tae Kwon Do blue belt drop out.
    Anything that says Ninja, Ninjitsu, or Ninjutsu is fake.
    The more belt rankings they have, the more it costs to test. (if there's a cammo belt, just leave)
    Anyone can have their picture taken with Chuck Norris.
    Watch out for those who brag about how fast you'll get a black belt. You can get a black belt mail order in about 3 days.
    Nunchucks, sais and fans are not legitimate self defense weapons.
    Anyone with a sales book is a salesman, not a martial arts master.

6 month commitments and direct deposit payment are also indicators of the McDojo.

Always remember, it's not the martial art, but the martial artist.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    Are these your Goals? To lose weight and get some self discipline and learn a lil self defense?

If these are your ONLY goals then by all means take a TKD class or go to one of the local McDojo's. These places are good for the goals you listed.

If however your goals are to learn to seriously protect yourself and its something you want to endevour in wholeheartedly and something you will dedicate yourself to then first consider a good MMA Gym. They are becoming more and more common and offer not only the goals you listed but also provide a fast track to learning realistic self defense.

Traditional Martial Arts are also very good but be aware that they require patience and remember the tools & techniques as taught in traditional arts (even battlefield arts) were created for a different time/era when fighting was very different than it is today.

Remember that just because the instructor looks awesome and like death on 2 feet doesn't mean those skills are transferable. Look at the other students. Do they look competant? In decent shape? Or is it a one man trick show?

If really learning to protect yourself is your goal, make sure whatever school you choose contains certain elements in the training. 1) Pressure- are the skills being taught static ala stimulus repsonse or are they dynamic and moving with real pressure? 2) Contact- like it or not, fighting invloves getting hit. If you practice a martial art where in you never get smoked in the face or punched in the ribs what do you think will happen the first time that happens to you on the street? 3) Work- anything worth having requires work. Hard, sometimes uncomfortable work in and out of the school.

I hope this helps you a little in your search.

Chris
    WE ARE EDUCATED IN PAIN

Chris Fry
    www.mdtstraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattXYZ View Post
    Kung-Fu rules all! Kung Fu is rare and expensive, but brutal above ALL the japanese systems.
    In short no and no. Kung Fu will have little effect if used as taught in most schools. I can make this statement because I have taken both hard and soft styles. Kata based styles have little value in the real world.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links