Thunder Ranch-Clint Smith

This is a discussion on Thunder Ranch-Clint Smith within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering taking the Revolver course at Thunder Ranch, does anyone have first-hand experience with this? Would this be wasted on someone with limited ...

Thread: Thunder Ranch-Clint Smith

I am considering taking the Revolver course at Thunder Ranch, does anyone have first-hand experience with this? Would this be wasted on someone with limited wheelgun experience? Is Clint Smith really as good an instructor as they say? I'm really struggling with the transition from autos to revolvers, I would never feel incompetent with my Glocks, yet I'm humbled everytime I fire the revolver. Obviously I'm not a natural, how long does it take to become competent with these friggin things?

Howdy!

I cannot help you with the first part - having never taken one of his courses.

However, the secret to accurate DA firing of a revolver lies in "staging" the trigger. With a 'Smith revolver, for instance, there will be two nearly imperceivable "clicks" as you trigger cock it. Pause just after the second click, re-align the sights and continue to press the trigger. It will take awhile to get the hang of it, but once you get it you'll be able to shoot a good revolver as well (or better) than an auto (in terms of precise accuracy).

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dolphin Your $$ will not be " wasted " with a " clint course " Not only will he make you a better shot , but he will change your mindset lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have only seen Clint teach on video... I Like His Teaching Style! His personality is a consumate gentleman but with marked air of seriousness regarding shooting and defense. Former Marine so you can't go wrong there!

His reputation is well earned! I don't think there is any possible way to consider one of his classes as a waste of money!

I plan on taking Ayoobs LFI-I course and a Clint Smith course at Thunder Ranch as part of my next 5 year plan.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Howdy

I cannot help you with the first part - having never taken one of his courses.

However, the secret to accurate DA firing of a revolver lies in "staging" the trigger. With a 'Smith revolver, for instance, there will be two nearly imperceivable "clicks" as you trigger cock it. Pause just after the second click, re-align the sights and continue to press the trigger. It will take awhile to get the hang of it, but once you get it you'll be able to shoot a good revolver as well (or better) than an auto (in terms of precise accuracy).
    Gary, When training did you attempt to feel these "clicks" or listen for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Not Gary but you try to do both some of the Smiths triggers are so good you can no feel then and only straining hear them..

Try it in dry fire for awhile then try live fire you'll get the hang of it

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    +1 As Gary posted in regards to the "clicks".....
    The key to running any weapons system is to find people who can operate it skillfully and learn from them....
    Mr. Smith has the ability to get you GTG on the revo platform, kudos to you for going to one of the best.....

(Of course, if you run DA Rugers, you dont need to shoot anyone with them, just beat the devil out of them with it.... They are built like a tank...)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Lead Moderator
    Never heard of the 'clicks' before shooting a revo. I trained on M66's for the academy , we always used a steady triiger pull. Are the 'clicks' use for slow fire?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Never heard of the 'clicks' before shooting a revo. I trained on M66's for the academy , we always used a steady triiger pull. Are the 'clicks' use for slow fire?
    Yes to start with so you can get used to where the takeup ends and the trigger breaks

once you can do that you can really pick up the speed

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    As Bud mentioned, you've got to listen for them. A good action will not have any points of "hesitation" - so there is nothing to feel.

Is was easiest for me to start with dry firing. I then moved up to wax loads. I learned this while I was in college, living in a ratbag apartment. I used to keep my revolver handy while studying (loaded with wax loads) and practiced by shooting cockroaches off my living room wall .

With practice, you'll be able to fire a wheelgun very quickly, and very accurately. You just need to keep at it until you instinctively know when to pause the trigger, realign the sights and then continue with the trigger press. A few hours of dry firing should be enough to get you started. (You might want to load your wheel gun with snap caps while you're at it. A few dry firings won't hurt a thing -unless it is a rimfire- but I'd want snap caps in place if I were doing a lot of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    This approach works for slow fire, double taps, rapid fire - you name it. You just employ the same technique a little faster...

Again, with practice it will become instinctive...

In fact, this has gotten my juices all flowing - I'm gonna go play with my K-22...

To everyone who responded, thank you for your help!

VIP Member
    Ditto's on the double click. The first click is heavier than the second, and the hammer falls slightly after the second. One of my favorite exercises is balancing the flat side of a dime on the front blade of the revolver, and pulling the trigger DA. Your goal is to complete this and the dime is still in place after the hammer has dropped. It's hard to do, but a great exercise in control.
    Now, while you're thinking about this exercise and wondering where a dime is around the house, don't forget to unload your revolver before you try the exercise
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    For range shooting, 'clicking' may be the ticket. In a life or death situation, it's doubtful you'll feel or hear them.

I took a revolver to Gunsite and they taught pulling the trigger non-stop. I also read some self-defense articles that indicated that while staging works, it is not a good practice.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    For range shooting, 'clicking' may be the ticket. In a life or death situation, it's doubtful you'll feel or hear them.

I took a revolver to Gunsite and they taught pulling the trigger non-stop. I also read some self-defense articles that indicated that while staging works, it is not a good practice.

You are exactly correct and I agree with you. Under stress you shouldn't feel/hear clicks and probably not the BANG. However range shooting and feeling for the clicks will initially help this guy familiarize himself to the DA trigger pull he's a little unfamiliar with, then he can transitiion to smooth pull with confidence.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sponsored Links