Shooting To Stop the Threat

This is a discussion on Shooting To Stop the Threat within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shooting To Stop the Threat By: Tom Perroni If you have ever had any formal defensive Handgun training from a top notch firearms instructor, you ...

Thread: Shooting To Stop the Threat

By: Tom Perroni

If you have ever had any formal defensive Handgun training from a top notch firearms instructor, you probably heard them say, ‘Shoot to Stop the Threat” What do they mean by this? Well the first thing you need to understand is the difference between Target Accuracy and Combat Accuracy.

1. Target Accuracy= is defined as “any shot that has precision; exactness when it hits a pre defined place on a specific target...” Hitting in the exact center of a target.

2. Combat Accuracy= is defined as “any shot that significantly affects the targets ability to present a lethal threat.”

There is a myth in the handgun community. The ONE shot stop myth” is it reasonable to expect a single round to stop the attacker or any danger? This may sound good however we know that this is not a reasonable expectation from a single handgun bullet, especially a handgun bullet.

I have a saying ”A handgun is a tool a tool to fight your way back to the long gun or shotgun you should have had if you new you were going to be in a fight. You can read more about this in my article “Handgun Stopping Power”.

Combat Accuracy has several important key points to remember.

1. When training with ‘Combat Accuracy” one is not required to shoot the proverbial 2 inch group on a target but instead bullet placement on the upper torso can span the width of the shooters hand. If we are shooting perfect 2 inch groups we are shooting way to slow, taking precision shots or “Target Shooting” One needs to get bullets down range on the target with the goal of prevailing in this gunfight.

2. Hits anywhere on the target that cause the attacker to stop or disengage are considered “Combat Accurate” If for example your attacker has a knife and he attacks and you are able to get off two rounds that hit him in the pelvic geretel and he drops the knife and disengages that is ‘combat accurate and you have stopped the threat.

However you must also have a “Combat Mindset” this is also discussed in a previous article. Shooting to stop the threat means that you continue to stay in the fight by shooting until the threat stops. However realize this may be 10, 15, 20 25 or even 30 rounds, But once the threat stops you must also stop shooting. You may only use force as a last resort especially deadly force. Not stopping once the threat has stopped is using excessive force. By understanding Combat Accuracy most shooters will be able to shoot faster by not overemphasizing concepts that come from target shooting and therefore prepare themselves to stop threats faster in a real world incident.

I know some people will have a hard time with this approach, because you have been taught for decades to go to the range and shoot at the center of a target. You need that gratification that comes from shooting and being able to measure your idea of successes. Also remember that the root word in Gun Fight is Fight.

Fights are dynamic and you are moving and your hits will be few. I teach that in a gunfight a 100% shooter becomes a 70% shooter due to stress, tunnel vision and sheer dynamic movement.

Understanding the actual goal of each round you are firing makes it clear that you need to be prepared to fire as many rounds as it takes!
    So when you go to the range and practice you’re shooting you need to focus on a few key things. You must present the handgun as quickly as possible I teach the (5) points to the draw at Perroni’s Tactical Training Academy. You need to start shooting as soon as the handgun is on target. This could be as early as step # 3 in the (5) points of the draw. We continue to fire all the way through the draw stroke.

Placing rounds in the upper torso are in the width of a hand span and also trying for the perfect head shot. Moving to cover and reloading as necessary because we know the average number of rounds fired in a gunfight is 10 and of those 10 rounds only 2 hit the target.

1. SHOOT as many rounds as necessary to stop the threat.
    2. Move to cover while shooting reload from behind cover.
    3. Keep Shooting While communicating
    (for the subject to stop, for someone to call police, to find out where the subject is.)
    4. Only when the threat stops do you stop shooting!
    5. Handgun goes to low ready; you scan for bad guys and shoot to stop the threat.

Live the way you train, and train the way you live. Because when you are in a fight for your life you will not rise to the occasion you will default to your level of training. (How good was your training?)
    Going to the range and shooting at a piece of paper that is not moving or shooting back while putting perfect holes in a nice group is not training for the fight. While I think accuracy is important you must train to prevail in a real world gunfight.

"Conflict is inevitable; Combat is an option".

Tom Perroni is the owner, President and Chief Instructor of Perroni's Tactical Training Academy. Pulling on a five-year law enforcement operational background, Tom has spent the last fifteen years delivering training to government, military, law enforcement and private security companies. Tom is also the lead contract instructor trainer for the Virginia Dept. of Criminal Justice Services, responsible for vetting private security trainers approved by DCJS. Tom is also a Contract Instructor for Blackwater Training Center. Tom appreciates feedback and can be reached through the Contact page on his company website at http://www.perronitactical.com

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    read and noted without comment .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Let me be the first to say, "easier said than done."

For your average shooter, finding a range that allows that kind of practice is rare, at best.

Those of us who have done movement and shooting while finding cover and so on, understand its importance but it's not easy to find places that provide that kind of training, especially on a regular basis.

If that level of combative training is not available sometimes the only thing that's left is target shooting and I'd rather have someone beside me who is a good target shooter than nothing at all.

I wish there was more facilities available for that kind of practice. I'd be there all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    let me be the first to say, "easier said than done."

For your average shooter, finding a range that allows that kind of practice is rare, at best.

Those of us who have done movement and shooting while finding cover and so on, understand it's importance but it's not easy to find places that provide that kind of training, especially on a regular basis.

If that level of combative training is not available sometimes the only thing that's left is target shooting and I'd rather have someone beside me who is a good target shooter than nothing at all.

I wish there was more facilities available for that kind of practice. I'd be there all the time!
    Me too. I already know I can shoot one round every 2 seconds accurately. Need to get into IDPA or something.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post
    You must present the handgun as quickly as possible I teach the (5) points to the draw at Perroni’s Tactical Training Academy. You need to start shooting as soon as the handgun is on target. This could be as early as step # 3 in the (5) points of the draw. We continue to fire all the way through the draw stroke.
    Okay, help me out (and others?).

While I am pretty sure I have read this somewhere, what are the 5 points to the draw? Can someone point me to where I can find this?

Thanks.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

In my article (CQB) Close Quarters Battle for the Concealed Handgun Permit Holder.I posted this:

The first thing I teach is the “Combat Mindset” this has been covered in a previous article. Then we move to Handgun handling skills this includes but is not limited to the 5 points to the draw. Let’s go over them. I am a firm believer that if you can not present the handgun properly then you can not fight with the handgun.

1. Non shooting hand moves to abdomen, Shooting hand moves to handgun a good grip is acquired in the holster ( the web of the hand is high on the tang of the back strap.) And we have disengaged any retention device on the holster.

2. We draw the handgun out of the holster by pulling up until we clear the top of the holster. Elbow pointing up and to the rear. (NOTE wrist forearm and elbow must be in line with the handgun)

3. The Elbow is rotated downward to the holster and the handgun rotates up and has a natural point of aim at the center mass of the target with a slight cant of the handgun to the right.
    This is what I consider CQB position #1 shots can be fired in this position and with a slight upward tilt a head shot can be taken. Please note this is not aimed fire but rather point shooting using your body to index the handgun towards the target.

4. The handgun is pushed towards the attacker moving forward in a straight line. At this point in the middle of the chest the non shooting hand makes contact with the handgun, with fingers over fingers thumb over thumb giving 360 degrees of control on the handgun as we hold the handgun in this position.
    This is what I consider CQB position #2 close retention shots can be fired from this position. This also gives the shooter a great deal of control over the handgun when moving in any direction. This is also great for handgun retention. Please note this is not aimed fire but rather point shooting using your body to index the handgun towards the target.

5.Then we press the handgun out until the arms are fully extended in a perfect Isosceles position to take distance shots at 7 yards or greater.

Once you have fired or "Shot to Stop the Threat" you may return to position #4 and this becomes "Low Ready" position and we scan 360 degrees for bad guys. Once we are sure there is no threat we continue to return the handgun to the holster in the reverse order #3 then #2 then #1 (keeping your finger off the trigger.

I hope this helps!

Tom Perroni

Hmmmmmmmmm
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Senior Moderator
    There's not a range that allows shooting and moving, it's only shooting IDPA that allows me to practice movement and cover
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Get an airsoft gun and do it at home or in the back yard.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    Get an airsoft gun and do it at home or in the back yard.
    What I was thinking. About $100 of a decent Glock Airsoft. $10 for a Walmart hoodie, $0.99 for plastic goggles. Hours of welting fun with family and friends for under $120.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    What I was thinking. About $100 of a decent Glock Airsoft. $10 for a Walmart hoodie, $0.99 for plastic goggles. Hours of welting fun with family and friends for under $120.

Priceless

Seriously, look up www.airsoftatlanta.com, call Dave and tell them I sent you. He will hook you up with everything that works and give you a good deal.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Pretty good stuff! I agree that there is a myth of the one shot stop. Placing the shots exactly where you need to and taking the attacker out immediately out of the fight doesn’t happen as much as we would like to think!!!

When training with ‘Combat Accuracy” one is not required to shoot the proverbial 2 inch group on a target but instead bullet placement on the upper torso can span the width of the shooters hand. If we are shooting perfect 2 inch groups we are shooting way to slow, taking precision shots or “Target Shooting” One needs to get bullets down range on the target with the goal of prevailing in this gunfight.
    I agree. As long as you are hitting your target get the bullets down range! Why not start shooting when the gun is on target? Why wait until you have the COM in your sights! Cause damage ASAP!

I agree with alot of that info. One thing that my shooting partner and I have taken to is NOT using typical bullseye targets. We use 8" paper plates ....they are pretty good at approximating a head shot or COM. You get less caught up in the 8/9/10 ring and more in to how many/how fast can I get rounds in the "circle"....

Also for move/fire do get an airsoft they are great for that kind of training....

Sponsored Links