Grip and control of the gun.

This is a discussion on Grip and control of the gun. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am posting a few pictures of grips and some explanations of them, cons and pros. Constructive criticism is welcome....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip and control of the gun.

I am posting a few pictures of grips and some explanations of them, cons and pros.
    Constructive criticism is welcome.

Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Excellent Post, Ken!

More please, I'll take all I can get......
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Thanks for the compliment, actually I just discovered how to edit the photos today lol
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Administrator

Thumbs up Fantastic Ken.

Thanks!
    I'm glad that you have got the photo thing figured out.

I guess that we can look forward to more photos being posted by you from this point forward?

Hopefully so.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Member Array Intentional Flincher's Avatar
    Yeah, good grip. Unfortunately on HKs, when you drain the mag you get a *click*
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Intentional Flincher View Post
    Yeah, good grip. Unfortunately on HKs, when you drain the mag you get a *click*
    The same thing happens on the SIG's. When I am shooting my SIG I just keep that thumb flagged or roll it over on top of the support thumb. Not a difficult task to do and I still maintain control to fire rapid shots. If you use this grip you will find you have significant less muzzle flip and the gun returns to target faster. If you are shooting a SIG or HK it will take a little bit of practice but it works. I will post a pic of a SIG later. I don't own any HK's.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    The same thing happens on the SIG's. When I am shooting my SIG I just keep that thumb flagged or roll it over on top of the support thumb. Not a difficult task to do and I still maintain control to fire rapid shots. If you use this grip you will find you have significant less muzzle flip and the gun returns to target faster. If you are shooting a SIG or HK it will take a little bit of practice but it works. I will post a pic of a SIG later. I don't own any HK's.
    Yep, I have to put my right thumb over my support thumb or it will hold the slide release down.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Is your support hand not wrapped around your shooting hand? It looks to be a combo between the trigger guard and your shooting hand. Is this intentional?

The support hand is around the firing hand for the better part, the support hand is slightly rotated to the front, it is called a Camming Grip. I try to point the support thumb at the target, that cams the muzzle downward. If you do it correctly you will feel a little bit of tendon pull on the support arm.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Ken,

A question, if you don't mind. In looking at your second photo, I like the idea of extra recoil support from the hands. However, in looking at the angle of your forearms, it appears that the weapon is held in a 'low ready' position instead of a firing position. Is that correct or am I missing someting? If the weapon is brought up to eye leve to fire, do the hands still offer that extra support, or has the angle changed?

Guess I'm gonna have to head to the range and try this out.

Thanks,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    The support hand is around the firing hand for the better part, the support hand is slightly rotated to the front, it is called a Camming Grip. I try to point the support thumb at the target, that cams the muzzle downward. If you do it correctly you will feel a little bit of tendon pull on the support arm.
    Never seen that before...at least I don't think so. I use a high grip as well with thumbs forward but the support hand is around the firing hand and up against (under) the trigger guard.

Lead Moderator
    So is camming used for only short distance shooting? Seems if you were to try and carefully aim with that grip , it would be more difficult.(as well as the gun/sites would be closer to your eyes).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Good example of the technique for a " cam grip " . For those who dont use the grip or have not been shown it properly .. The index finger of the weak hand does not have quite enough space to fit , so as you squeez it cams against the bottom of the trigger guard , in theory locking the gun into the knuckle with consistent pressure from 3 sides . The other advantage is it lowers the bore axis in the grip and allows the gun to recoil freely in a line rather than torque against a lower grip . To shoot it properly tho you grip the pistol and allow it to recoil , it will return where it started or nearly so , unlike a classic grip where you use muscle tension to overcome recoil .

Edited to add Enos and top competitors all tend to use that grip now , and they seem to do well , i have not weaned myself off a more classic grip yet tho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Ken,

A question, if you don't mind. In looking at your second photo, I like the idea of extra recoil support from the hands. However, in looking at the angle of your forearms, it appears that the weapon is held in a 'low ready' position instead of a firing position. Is that correct or am I missing someting? If the weapon is brought up to eye leve to fire, do the hands still offer that extra support, or has the angle changed?

Guess I'm gonna have to head to the range and try this out.

Thanks,

Brian
    In the photos I was actually holding the gun low in front of the camera. I was doing it alone so so thats why it looks like it is being held low.
    FIREARMZ FORUM

When you try the grip in the first post have a buddy push up and down on the gun barrell while you have a full firm firing grip, switch to your normal grip and notice the difference. Having the support hand rotated down provieds a pre tension that really helps with control of muzzle flip.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links