IDPA - Page 2

IDPA

This is a discussion on IDPA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier IDPA is the BEST. Check out MY club's page: http://www.tssa.net There is a forum but not as good as this one ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDPA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    IDPA is the BEST. Check out MY club's page: http://www.tssa.net There is a forum but not as good as this one and there is a photo gallery.
    Ignore the photo gallery... some ugly guys there including a fat ex-foreigner guy that can't shoot a darn!

JT, by all means join an IDPA club and shoot. It is fun and it will give you some basic defensive skills. Besides, you get to hang around other shooters and enjoy yourself. And yes, you will screw up and shoot like a pig the first times around but that is just simply because you don't have the skills and knowledge of the discipline but you will develop soon enough. When you start, don't shoot fast, go for accurate and follow the basic safety rules. If you can't fdigure something or have no idea why something is done ask questions till you are blue in the face.

Most clubs will be nice enough not to harrass a New Shooter because we all been there and screwed up big time. Follow the instructions of the Match Director and the Safety Officer. Every time you come to the line to shoot, inform your Safety Officer you are a New Shooter and ask about the Course Of Fire if you need a refresher or want to make sure of the instructions.

In our club we have a Newbie 3 Match rule stating that a New Shooter cannot be harrased, made fun of or called names until he has shot with us for 3 matches. After that

PS to Ex: Am I gonna see your sorry butt in Jacksonville in October?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke45 View Post
    Looks cool EX....I wish the club around here was as organized and had as nice facilities as yours appears to be.

Deke... bless you brother! If you only knew!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    JT, by all means join an IDPA club and shoot. It is fun and it will give you some basic defensive skills.
    I am well beyond basic defensive skills already. I was looking for a better way to stay in practice, beyond just range time.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I am well beyond basic defensive skills already. I was looking for a better way to stay in practice, beyond just range time.
    IDPA is a great way to do that, thats the sole reason I do it when I do. ( and its loads of fun)
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think I may try it with the J Frame.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I participated in my first IDPA match today, and really enjoyed it. The guys in my group were very patient and supportive, which eased my bit of newbie nervousness at the outset.

IDPA is a Blast!!!!!!!

"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Longbow, is that you in the jeans and gray vest? Did you get any procedurals for exposing more than 50% of an "A" zone to hostile fire? If it was your first time then it is understandable if you weren't given a procedural, but they ought to have pointed out the error in tactics. If you allow 50% of ANY "A" zone to be exposed it's a procedural ding. That includes the "A" zone that is your head. That's why those over the top of the barrel shots are DANG hard, 'cause you've got to have your head tilted so the you can only get the sight picture with one eye. IMHO it's much easier to get a proper sight picture when you're standing close to a barrel and just "slicing the pie" as you move around it to engage the targets as they appear. I'm a certified IDPA S.O. and our club is one of the few certified "teaching" clubs in the country, right now.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    You cannot have more than 50% of your upper body exposed. The way the gent in the gray vest is shooting, with the arms atop of the barrel will expose more than 50% of the upper body therefore PROCEDURAL. If the CoF allows for shooting above a low cover (and do notice he has one knee on the ground, no IPSC squat), the shooter should be away from the barrel and the gun just above the lip of it that way only the shoulders and top of the head are exposed and complying with the rule. Or you can shoot from the side of the barrel (like the last picture) and it is valid cover but making sure that the lower part of the body is 100% behind cover.
    Basically, never "hug" cover. give yourself some space.

Picture stolen from the great fellas of First Coast IDPA in Jacksonville, FL.
    Border Disorder Match 2006.
    Randy Cain.

Actually this was my first time, This was an introductory to IDPA.
    last year, LOL I have gotten a little better, not much, but a little.
    It's tough for this old man to bend his knees like he used to.
    The important thing, for me anyway, is that I am learning and getting good trigger time.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Question ???

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    You cannot have more than 50% of your upper body exposed. The way the gent in the gray vest is shooting, with the arms atop of the barrel will expose more than 50% of the upper body therefore PROCEDURAL. If the CoF allows for shooting above a low cover (and do notice he has one knee on the ground, no IPSC squat), the shooter should be away from the barrel and the gun just above the lip of it that way only the shoulders and top of the head are exposed and complying with the rule. Or you can shoot from the side of the barrel (like the last picture) and it is valid cover but making sure that the lower part of the body is 100% behind cover.
    Basically, never "hug" cover. give yourself some space.

Isn't that what I said?

Were you at the range today Miggy?

If so, did you notice Dale shooting a really sweeeeet Mini-14 with a factory (Ruger) folding stock? I traded him that gun for his Sig P226 Blackwater and some change going his way. I also got a really sweet CRKT knife from him as well. He said the heat index was about 105. That's why my shootin' season is over. I'll see you back on the range around...OCTOBER?

BTW, if there is a difference between what I said and what Miggy said...trust MIGGY. I just thought we said the same thing. But I always learn new stuff from him and the other folks out at the club. And I helped FOUND that club.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    Actually this was my first time, This was an introductory to IDPA.
    last year, LOL I have gotten a little better, not much, but a little.
    It's tough for this old man to bend his knees like he used to.
    The important thing, for me anyway, is that I am learning and getting good trigger time.
    Longbow, you will learn all in good time while having a even great time. My first time I did a commando crawl trying to avoid a no-shoot. The looks I got were but they still accepted me.

EX YOU RAT! That is a gorgeous rifle! Dale had to wrap it in plastic because a bunch of us were drooling over it.
    Heat was brutal. I stayed under cover and under the fan almost all the match (I did help set up a bit) and drank water like crazy. By the time I left around noon it was 93 degrees with a humidity in the low 200s

Isn't that what I said?
    Yeah, But I made sense
    Randy Cain.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I can hardily recomend the IDPA as well as the Dallas club (Dallas Action Pistol Shooters mentioned earlier). Great club, nice group of folks and good compition as well as plenty of good shooters to pass on good advice. Unfortunatly todays shoot was canceled because of flooding. Oh well hopefully I'll be off work when the next one rolls around.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    fed, I hear great things about that club. Pity we have the Gulf of Mexico in between 'cause we would love to have a match with you guys someday.

We should have a big Southern Match in some central location. 200 shooters and 3 days of fun. Sort of a Woodstock of IDPA but we would remember what we did afterwards.
    Randy Cain.

IDPA is great. one of our local clubs does 2 different matches. the first is the first Sunday of the month and the second which is closer for me, to where i live is the Second Sunday of the month. if anyone in MI is interested check out the site. The pics and what not are not up to date but you'll get the idea and all of the contact info is there if you wanna come out or something.

http://www.bustincaps.com/
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "If all good things come to those that wait, how long before I get the best?" ---Me

http://www.nextlevelcellular.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links