IDPA

IDPA

This is a discussion on IDPA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody here shoot IDPA? Iíve been meaning to do it for a while. My goal now is to do it by next year. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA

JT [OP]

IDPA

Does anybody here shoot IDPA? Iíve been meaning to do it for a while. My goal now is to do it by next year. I am definitely going to use a Glock. I want to shoot IDPA to further develop my real world skills, not to win competitions, so I am going to shoot the same weapon platform that I carry. I am thinking about getting a Glock 17. I want to use a full size model for the competition, and I have a 21, but if I got a 17 it would be a lot cheaper to practice. Iím anticipating spending even more money on ammo than I usually do. Even though my carry weapon is usually in .40, I donít have any problem transitioning between calibers in the same weapons platform so I donít think it is necessary to practice for IDPA with the same caliber that I carry. Or maybe Iím just looking for an excuse to get another Glock.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Myself and several others that I know of here do. You don't need a lot to get started...just the basics. Depending on your qualifications, you may be required to take a range safety coarse before being allowed to compete.
    I shoot with my 3" Kimber cause that's what I carry. Practical defense platforms - that is really the foundation that IDPA is built on, so it becomes less about the equipment and more about the shooting.

I've always enjoyed it, however, around here there is only one match a month close by, and another is 2 hrs south in Pueblo.
    Best thing is to find a club, get your safety card, show up and shoot a match to see if you like it!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

JT [OP]
    Thanks for the advice Deke45.

There is a club fairly close by that shoots at the Collin County Gun Range in Mckinney, TX. I'm going to try to make it up there to watch the 2005 North Texas Regional IDPA Match on July 16th. After that I'll work on getting ready to compete in one of the small club matches.

Is anybody else in the North Texas area (or farther out) planning on going to that match?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

No problem JT. One thing I forgot to mention but I think is worth mentioning. I've talked to a number of people about IDPA, and sensed in many a reluctance to try it because of an intimidation factor. Either they have been shooting a long time but never shot competition, or they are new to shooting and don't feel confident.

My experience has been that at the club level, there is usually a good group of people that are more than willing to help the new guy get started...and started safely! And even though it's "competition", it's done in a friendly and sportsman like atmosphere. There is a camaraderie among most shooters that participate....after all, it is suppose to be fun!

Just thought I'd throw this in for you, or any other thinking about giving it a try. After all, everyone was the "noob" once!

JT [OP]
    I heard that about the clubs (friendly and willing to help). I have been shooting for quite a while and am confident in my abilities, but I will admit to being a little nervous about ďcompetingĒ because I have never done it. One of the reasons I want to do it is to get use to shooting under more stress. I know it canít equal the stress of a real life encounter, but itís about as close as you can get.

The only thing wrong with the IDPA is that the only time a club within a 3 hour driving radius meets, it's at a time I can't go.

And don't suggest starting my own chapter because there's no shooting facility within 50 miles that would condone the kind of stuff IDPA does even though it's perfectly safe.

Actually I do know of one that facilitates scenarios and even has some structures erected, but lacking law enforcement credentials, I cannot use that facility.

Otherwise I'd do it for the heck of it. I'd sit there with a box stock sixgun cranking away along side those guys with their $1800 Kimbers and their Glock 29s with the extended 45 round magazines and M3 illuminators

At least I've found some very reasonably priced seminars that go on year round that don't seem to be too far away that do a lot of the same things. Now if they'd just get off their butts and tell me when I am working this summer I'd go sign up for a couple...

vmo
    If you're close to Ft. Worth, check out CTIDPA.com.

Thanks for the thought vmo but I'm a pretty good clip from Ft. Worth.

And, no offense to anyone, I hate going to the whole DFW area.

Of course I'd rather go to DFW to Midland or Odessa... oops I'm showing my high school rivalry again...

Assistant Administrator
    JT - I can recommend it. Only really got into it last year - and I have a 40 min drive to that club but it's worth it.

Great bunch of folks - including some very very good shooters. OTOH, plenty of new ones too - and the atmosphere is one of enjoyment. No new shooter gets other than encouragement however bad they do.

Predictably, the biggest factor is safety - no room for any slackness there. That is the one thing folks new to it need to accept and help with - tho if you are a seasoned shooter, unlikely to be a problem.

Some people dig at IDPA as being ''just a game'' - well in some ways it is but - the one thing it does for me is hone my skills under duress, and movement. I am not bothered too much about my score in a competitive sense but am looking to always get better. It is me vs me for most part.

I am now using my SIG 226 carry gun - and finding that well useful for improving fluidity etc.

Anyone in my sorta area - can go look HERE to see the club's schedule.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

IDPA is the BEST. Check out MY club's page: http://www.tssa.net There is a forum but not as good as this one and there is a photo gallery.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Looks cool EX....I wish the club around here was as organized and had as nice facilities as yours appears to be.

Did you ever make it out to an IDPA competition JT. Would be great to hear about your experience.

If you haven't found a good group/range yet, I just recently started shooting IPDA and had nothing but great experiences. Don't know exactly where you are, but this IDPA group should be pretty close.

http://www.dallaspistol.com/DAPS/default.aspx

http://www.elmforkgunrange.com/

Can check out the Dallas Action Pistol Shooters site, click events, and see a calender of upcoming competitions. Thankfully they shoot IDPA twice a week so no shortage of matches.

It is completely free for the first match, and just need the basics for equipment. Hope to see you out there sometime.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    IDPA rocks!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

JT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by nova83tx View Post
    Did you ever make it out to an IDPA competition JT. Would be great to hear about your experience.

If you haven't found a good group/range yet, I just recently started shooting IPDA and had nothing but great experiences. Don't know exactly where you are, but this IDPA group should be pretty close.

http://www.dallaspistol.com/DAPS/default.aspx

http://www.elmforkgunrange.com/

Can check out the Dallas Action Pistol Shooters site, click events, and see a calender of upcoming competitions. Thankfully they shoot IDPA twice a week so no shortage of matches.

It is completely free for the first match, and just need the basics for equipment. Hope to see you out there sometime.
    No I haven't done it yet. Other things kept getting in the way, but I hope to do it soon. Thanks for the info.

Administrator
    I shoot IDPA once in a blue moon, just for fun. It is very fun, and the people are a good group. They are always willing to help the new guys, and the old guys too.
    If you dont reload or have unlimited ammo funds, a full size 9mm is the way to go. Glocks and Sigs do well as do the Beretta 92 series.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links