More N. Arizona Threat Focused training

This is a discussion on More N. Arizona Threat Focused training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, just wanted to write a review of some training I got over the weekend of 14-15 July 2007. This was a course in ...

Thread: More N. Arizona Threat Focused training

More N. Arizona Threat Focused training

Hi guys, just wanted to write a review of some training I got over the weekend of 14-15 July 2007. This was a course in Threat Focused Shooting (aka- Quick Kill) given by Brownie (aka-AzQKr). Let me preface this by saying I had a blast.

Luckily, we were a small class so we got plenty of hands on instruction. We shot at both standard sillohette targets and steel plates, with very few misses. In hindsight, most of our misses were on the smaller steel plates which we were always shooting at from farther back. I've always been the gun guy in my unit, but this class definately made me feel much more confident in my skills.

I guess I should probably discuss what we actually covered. We covered shooting from the hip, zippering a target (acurately), engaging targets behind you (without fully turning), firing while running, firing while disengaging from a target, and bump firing a handgun(but that was just more of a by the way thing). But what I found to be the two most important things we worked on were quicking our draw speed, and something Brownie called Quick Kill.

To me, Quick Kill can be described as refrenced shooting. You're not looking at the sights, but you do see the gun as well as your target. This concept was the hardest for me to pick up, and I still need practice with it. For the last ten years it has been drilled into me to use my sights whenever I shoot, it took a lot for me to realize I didn't always need to, and to be honest sometimes I found myself dropping into the classic Weaver sighted firing position.

The second day was even more fun, we spent most of it doing force-on-force work. We worked through fouling a target's draw, going hand to hand, and even a little work with disarms.

General lessons learned:
    -If you're male and practicing force-on-force, use protection. My wife was able to find THE welt a few days later.
    -Even if you're used to being out in the sun, bring sunscreen.
    -Higher capacity is better.
    -Shooting a large number of rounds in one day will have a negative effect on your hands. (Unless you're in the military- because then your hands are ALREADY a mess!)
    -Drawing from concealed takes a LONG time!

I beleive Brownie will be giving another class out here sometime in September. I'm thinking of going again and would definately recommend this to anyone who could attend.

If you are looking for more information here is a link to flagflyfish's review of the class: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=29074
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

2. Remove Ads

I am sorry I missed this. I look forward to september.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I will be teaching a threat focused class with Gabe Suarez in Prescott Az. on the last week in October.
    Click on the link and scroll down to the class description.
    http://www.suarezinternational.com/tech.html
    Course title is the Interface of Point and Sighted Fire.
    Dates are October 27-28.

Sponsor
    Hi matt,

I wish you the best with the class but in the future could you please start your own thread to advertise Mr. Suarez's classes.

Thanks

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I am a novice and I want to begin taking training classes. I am very interested in instructions with minimal travel. I am in Tucson so No. AZ is not a problem.

Is your training geared to a beginner? I certainly don't think putting holes in paper targets is furthering personal defense skills.

Sponsor
    SelfDefense,

Just today, the below was posted by our sponsor in Tenn on another forum, it answers your question well I think. Plan on attending, you'll be "good to go" as well as any others there.

Some of the folks at THR have attended the 2 day course given here in Tennessee that's taught by Brownie. We see folks with less than 100 rounds fired start out Saturday morning learning the basics and by Sunday afternoon they're drawing from the holster and putting rounds on target at self defense ranges (30 ft. and under) in under a second (with some getting close to .5 seconds). There's no cloverleafing, but the rounds are COM and the get on target fast.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    hey Self defence, I would think that Brownie's methods would work well for a "novice" shooter! You wouldn't be trying to break ingrained habits before picking up his methods. IMHO shooting at tin cans will not build the muscle memory needed in a life threatening situation, but I will gaurentee that the techniques learned in the class I took have made me much more confidant in the fact that I have a good chance of going home after a gunfight. I hope that I never have to use these skills, but I have been practicing them every weekend! Come on up and learn with us, I can assure you that you will not be bored or sorry that you did!

Rex
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Links