Dynamic Movement Drills, Videos and Discussion.

This is a discussion on Dynamic Movement Drills, Videos and Discussion. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The weather in in Vegas has been 100 degrees+ and over 70% humidity. Not the best weather for dynamic movement training at the range. Luckily ...

Thread: Dynamic Movement Drills, Videos and Discussion.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

Dynamic Movement Drills, Videos and Discussion.

The weather in in Vegas has been 100 degrees+ and over 70% humidity. Not the best weather for dynamic movement training at the range. Luckily I have my garage set up to train, at any time, in front of my swamp cooler. Here are a few videos I took of some of my dynamic movement drills with my G19 airsoft.

These are only drills....they are not techniques or tactics. They are drills designed to work on the concept of well rounded and completely versatile dynamic movement.

This first video is my "first shot" drill to the firing side. This drill is designed to work on the ability to nail that all important and the most difficult first shoot. I choose to work this turned around and blind to establish the very quick and instinctive index. This drill has improved my "first shot" capabilities significantly. This drill is shot at six yards

A few points to take note of are as follows;

(1) The "simultaneous" draw and move.

(2) The explosion off of the X (for a 46 year old guy)

(3) The cover garment clearance.

(4) Check out the first shot before the second step.

(5) The use of the support side hand to facilitate dynamic movement.

As we go throught theses clips, we need to think about the support side arm. The question that I pose is, how does a big power Fullback hold the football and use his arms when he is exploding towards the hole.....how does a smaller quicker Running Back hold the football and use his arms when he is in the open field. The difference between the two has to do with the "mission." The Fullback is looking to power his way through the line with explosive forward drive. They often hold the ball at the centerline with one arm under the ball and one arm over the ball to protect it for the inevitably contact.The Running back is looking to be faster, quicker, and more illusive. He cradels the ball in one arm and uses both arms to facilitate balance, speed, explosiveness, directional changes, cut backs, and jukes. By watching the two different running styles it becomes very obvious which running syle is more condusive to not being hit.

WTS, do not take your support side arm out of the dynamic movement equation, unless you have too.

What is going through my mind?

The focal point is the only thing going through my mind. Everything else is on auto pilot. But I am locked in on the spot that I want to hit. I can not adequetely express how important that is.

The clip can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx-sWFQj3aA

2. Remove Ads

looks good. Question to you, do you train in clearing your cover garment with your shooting hand? Whatever the answer, please elaborate why/why not.

Looks great. As expected from a Suarez Instructor, very squared away.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    looks good. Question to you, do you train in clearing your cover garment with your shooting hand? Whatever the answer, please elaborate why/why not.
    For dynamic movement I use the support side hand to rip the garment clear. As you see form the video, there is an awful lot going on all at once. That is why the "first shot" with dynamic movement is the most difficult of the shots. Once you establish your movement the index becomes very consistant. This drill is designed to help facilitate a more accurate "first shot."

I use this method of clearing the garment to reduce the number of things happening all at once and to assign each hand with "just one thing" that it has to do. The support side clears the garment and the firing side aquires the firing grip. This is also very fast due to "economy of motion."

I do have a "firing side only" one handed drawstroke that I practice and use for times when the support side hand is busy. The support side hand could be blocking, fending, parrying, or striking. So a firing side only garment clearance is a "must own tool." But we need to understand that a one handed "clear and draw" will never be as "sure" as a two handed "clear and draw."

The garment clearance with dynamic movement is very important. It is much more problematic that when you are stationary. The twist of the body, the garment "clinging" due to wind resistance during dynamic movement, needs to be taken into consideration. You must have an "iron clad" clearance technique in your tool box for dynamic movement.

Here is the "first shot" drill to the support side. I feel that it shows how much more natural and smooth it is going one handed to the support side. The index coming out of appendix carry is very sweet and the accuracy really shows this.

This video really highlights the "lowered base" that is helpful to accurate dynamic movement shooting. This is not the very best video that I have to watch the "turn over" of the feet, but it does show the turn over rate that is condusive to good and smooth exceleration. The first shot being fired at the "center" of the second step is a nice touch.

Although these are very quick clips, you can see the "consistant index" that I talk about so much. Even with the dynamic movement, the gun stays very steady. U-tube is not the best for this examination because you really do not have the frame by frame ability as I do on my Quick Time clips. The videos on U-tube can be pause repeatedly but the Quick Time abilities to "click and drag" frame by frame throught the entire clip is much better.

If anyone wants to have the "click and drag" option of Quick Time, PM me with the desired video and give me your E-mail adress. I will send it to you for a more indepth examination.

You can find the clip here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNd2Ih8-438

Thanks for your description of using / not using the off hand to clear the garment.

I' only practiced using the one handed clear and draw. I figured that I should be really good with that one. And don't want to get confused w/ multiple draw strokes. But I'm re-evaluating that one.

Here is another "first shot" drill run as an elliptical to the left oblique. This one does a very good job of showing the garment clearance, the draw stroke, the process of indexing, and the use of the support side arm.

The support side arm "just happens" it is what my body naturally does. This is something that is difficult to "teach." I feel that the students think about it too much instead of just using it in a natural way to facilitate smooth and fast movement....while at the same time stabalizing the firing side index on the targeted area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwM-Br456cA

Condensed zigzag drill

The description of the zigzag drill is here in post #3 http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=28691

This is one "basic" condensed version of the zig zag drill that I do with my airsoft. This one is designed to work on the directional changes or cutbacks and the integration of one handed and two handed shooting.

This clip is very good for showing the initial "zero weight" move out of the nuetral position. The "zero weight" is key, especially as an "immediate action" drill when you are behind in the reactionary curve. It is perfect inside of the physiological response out of a startled reaction. That is why the drill is started from a "nuetral" position.

The zero weight establishes three things, it plants the drive foot, it orientates the lead foot in the direction that you are headed, and it gets you into the physiological sound crouch that you explode out of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjwxUhEBQiQ

Links