IDPA Question

This is a discussion on IDPA Question within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This could have went in Ammo I guess.. do IDPA shooters use a light loads? It seems that there recoil is null when watching videos. ...

Thread: IDPA Question

IDPA Question

This could have went in Ammo I guess..

do IDPA shooters use a light loads?
    It seems that there recoil is null when watching videos. Just a slide action. Is this because they have loaded the loads light?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We don't shoot light loads, not to say that there are not some that will game it and try to sneak gamer loads but if caught, you get DQed in a hurry.
    Thera are power factors that need to be met for a sponsored match.
    The formula is: Power Factor = Bullet Velocity (in feet per second) multiplied by Bullet Weight (in grains; 7000 grains = 1 pound).

And here is a table I found:

What you will see in sponsored matches is everybody shooting factory ammo to avoid questions. Lots of Wally World Specials or Yellow Remingtons with a decent presence of Wolf. I am starting to shoot SSR in a .357 with my reloads in 38 spc to max recommended load for regular matches. I have not chronny my loads but I suspect I might be a bit under. I am planning to classify in SSR at the next oportunity and I will have to use .357 for the Classifier.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

No, there’s a minimum power factor ammunition used in each division has to meet. These power factor requirements are specifically set up to preclude shooters from using downloaded ammo.

You can look this info up in the rule book found on the IDPA web page at www.idpa.com.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Thank you for great explanations.

It just seems that their recoil is way less than what I am use to. Maybe they just have great gun control.

I will give the rule book a look. There are matches every weekend where I live along with Speed Steel Shooting.

it is all really new to me.

No matter what anybody tells you there are always "gamers" in all of these venues that will try and shoot wimpy loads to gain an edge. As other posters have said, by and large a lot of folks, me included just go down to wally world and buy a 100 or 250 round value pack and head out to the range. If you want to know the secret of the recoil appearing "null" while watching videos, that is simple:

It is called PRACTICE.

Good luck to you.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post

It is called PRACTICE.
    And there we have it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yes, that is why I was asking, but even with practice there is an amount of flip that cannot be controlled it would seem..
    I have seen videos where guys were shooting 9mm, 40, or 45, and it looks like an airgun. I find the impossible to believe.

I have managed to get my recoil response down quite a bit since first shooting my pistol, but I don't think I will ever not have a muzzle flip due to the nature of "there is an explosion going off in my hand"

thanks for the tip.

VIP Member
    SA, if you get to shoot alongside good shooters, you will pick up good tips by looking at what they do and they will teach you one or two tricks/lessons. Sometimes it will be as simple as the position of your hands along the gun and you will see a great improvement. Maybe you are limp wristing just a bit and that can be corrected.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks, Miggy.
    I shoot pretty good, but I am working on speed.
    Can you describe limp wristing? I'll have looked on Wikipedia.

from wikipedia.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limp_wristing
    Limp wristing is a term used to describe a phenomenon commonly encountered by semiautomatic pistol shooters, where the shooter's grip is not firm enough to hold the frame of the pistol steady while the bolt or slide of the pistol cycles. This condition often results in a failure to complete the operating cycle, called a jam. Rifles and shotguns, if fired without the stock in the shoulder, may also be prone to limp wristing.

also from wikipedia.com
    The other alternative is to pick a firearm whose frame is heavier in relation to its slide.

I don't have a problem that I know of with loose grips or stovepipes. I do however shoot a SAXD9. So with that in mind I wonder if I should have bought a steel frame? It doesn't matter. I shoot reliable and accurately with my XD9. It isn't to much gun for me. I just need to work on technique, and this is the first polymer pistol I have owned. I think that it is a learning curve. The more I shoot the better I will become, and the stronger my wrist will be. I am going to start doing wrist curls. That should help me control the flip?
    I will try this weekend to post a video of my hands while shooting. Maybe you all can give me some criticism.

also don't forget to practice "weak" hand shooting. You wanna see muzzle flip try it that way.

What you 'may' be mistaking for 'no muzzle flip' is actually getting back on target so fast you just miss the flip.

practice practice practice

the gun does come up, but the idea of getting back on target fast negates it.
    just my 2 cents, cuz my 45 sure 'can' flip but when i'm shooting for speed and accuracy i never feel it. If its not on target it is coming back on target.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Links