Gunshot Wounds class in PA, 11/03/07

This is a discussion on Gunshot Wounds class in PA, 11/03/07 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the last training class I took, Doc Gun gave us a short lecture with demonstration on treating gunshot wounds, and other similar trauma wounds. ...

Thread: Gunshot Wounds class in PA, 11/03/07

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

At the last training class I took, Doc Gun gave us a short lecture with demonstration on treating gunshot wounds, and other similar trauma wounds. I got an e-mail for a class he is giving that some of you might be interested in. Doc is a really nice guy, and an ER Dr. so I think he speaks with some authority on the subject.

Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds
    F.I.R.E. Institute
    2313 E. Carson St.
    Suite 201
    Pittsburgh, PA 15203
    412-381-8035
    fireinstitute@greystonelaw.com

F.I.R.E. Institute will host Doc Gunn for a one-day course on the Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds at the Pitcairn~Monroeville Sportsmens Club in Monroeville, PA on Saturday, November 3, 2007.

Our course is based upon Tactical Medicine principles, but while TacMed is designed for military/police tactical entry team members with specialized medical training, our course is for non-medical personnel who may become involved as primary responders to treat and stabilize victims of gunshot wounds. Originally designed primarily for firearm instructors, home owners/defenders and street police officers, we have also given this course to Federal and Local Law Enforcement Emergency Response Teams and as a Train-the-Trainer program for elements of the United States Marine Corps.

This is a shooting course combined with what you need to do immediately afterward to increase the survivability of gunshot wound victims, including yourself. Important topics include the Effects of Bullets on Human Tissue, Where to Shoot and How to Place Bullets with Surgical Precision. Following Threat Elimination, we teach How to Identify the Seven Life-Threatening Injuries as well as How to Control Hemorrhage which is the major cause of preventable death from gunshot wounds. Accessing Emergency Medical Services and Maintaining an Emergency GSW Response Kit is also covered.

The course will run from 9 AM to 5 PM and students should bring a suitable defensive handgun of caliber .38 Spl/ 9mm or greater. 250 rounds of jacketed, factory ammunition will suffice. A minimum of three magazines should be available for semiautomatic pistols and two speed loaders for revolvers are advised. A rigid holster (belt or inside-the-waistband,) magazine/speed loader pouches, eye protection and head-phone-style hearing protection are mandatory. A hat with a brim (baseball-style) is also needed to prevent ejected brass from wedging behind your glasses. Shirts must be closed at the top to prevent brass being trapped against your chest. Drinking water will be provided and students should bring their lunches so that we may minimize down time.

Prior firearms training to the level of DTI’s Basic/Intermediate Defensive Handgun or its equivalent from a recognized school such as those hosted by F.I.R.E., or taught by Gunsite, Yavapai Firearms Academy, Thunder Ranch, InSights, etc. is a pre-requisite. (Consult the class coordinator if in doubt as remedial training may be available.)

Tuition is $260.00 and is due upon registration.. We intend to limit the class size so an optimal student-to-instructor ratio may be maintained. Checks should be made out to "Doc Gunn, Inc." and sent to the address above. Questions should be directed to the local course coordinator at the address above. You may also contact Doc Gunn directly via e-mail at dtirnk@yahoo.com

The following DTI link describes our course further, and the link provides directions to the club.
    http://www.defense-training.com/courses/tacmed.html
    http://fireinstitute.org/fire_directions_pmsc.htm

We feel that the Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds is an important skill that should be part of every shooter's armament that has previously been neglected. We look forward imparting these skills and training with you.

Doc Gunn and F.I.R.E. Institute

"Willingness is a state of mind. READINESS is a statement of fact!"
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the info Mike - that Sportsmens Club is where I did all my NRA certification so know it well.

Might be able to go - have to see but sure sounds like an interesting day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sounds like a winner to me. How do I get more info?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Sounds like a winner to me. How do I get more info?
    Here you go.
    Questions should be directed to the local course coordinator at the address above. You may also contact Doc Gunn directly via e-mail at dtirnk@yahoo.com

The following DTI link describes our course further, and the link provides directions to the club.
    http://www.defense-training.com/courses/tacmed.html
    http://fireinstitute.org/fire_directions_pmsc.htm
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

F4i

Been watching much "Minority Report" lately? Really, let's all know about these future shootings! It's even repeated in the article...

Links