This is FAST

This is a discussion on This is FAST within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe this is a police clip - but hey - that is some mag change. Do we say ''muscle memory''!! Save this clip and ...

Thread: This is FAST

Assistant Administrator

This is FAST

I believe this is a police clip - but hey - that is some mag change.

Do we say ''muscle memory''!!

Save this clip and watch - again - and again!!
    Attached Files
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

About the time he would be holstering his gun I may have placed my hand on my gun. There are some hot shots out there for sure and this guy flys no question about it. Thanks for the show.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    In a word, WOW!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    That was slick.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Fast reload but is he hitting the target with those double taps?

I've seen this video clip before and I think he is the owner of Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge, VA. His name is Phil Strader and if this is Phil in the video clip then you can be sure he is hitting what he is aiming at. Check out the web page below and click on the "Team Shooters Videos" link.

http://www.shootersparadise.com/inde...d=73&Itemid=93
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Assistant Administrator
    MechE - thx for link - some great clips there. Could well be you are right re the ID of the shooter tho doing some comparisons not so sure!!

If this link works from that site - grab it and watch Phil ''deal with'' a loada pepper poppers - joy to watch.

http://www.shootersparadise.com/team..._psa_steel.wmv
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    I've had lots of debates with knife guys who all quote the '21 foot rule' and mention perceived ability to wound or disarm their aggressor. You have to pick your way through all of the 'flying katana' crap and bravado, despite the fact that no one there has ever been anywhere near a knife fight.

I usually ask the posters if they have ever been to an IPSC match.

I think everyone should find a gun club in their area and just watch the local talent, you know, the aluminum siding salesmen and the dentists who all compete only on the weekends.

After a bit, they might be fast enough to watch the regional contenders.

One time I was asked, "Who's the guy that follows the shooter with the tiny tape-recorder?"

I explained that he's an official, timing the event in 100th's if not 1,000th's of a second to rank the winners.

Time yourself running 21 feet. Now re-play this tape. You must remember that an IPSC contender starts his match with a holstered firearm and his hands above his head.

Lead Moderator
    This guys fast, but even IPSC isn't totally realistic to our situation. Awareness, reaction then drawing from a concealed holster make us way slower. Especially when ya figure the ice cream dicard at the begining of the draw. Also lets not forget movement (finding cover while reacting. )

Do you know the main topic at my wedding?

How to draw fast from a cumberbund (with a 'dress weapon').

Combat guys will find a way to slap leather in a nudist colony.

(I still have the Bianchi half-holster and the two custom made Pachmayr magazines.)

I think the thing that kept us honest was that our local guys had to hit a metal gong to stop the clock. Not everyone does that. Even now we swing gongs with Ruger 22/45's.

VIP Member
    That looks like Tommy Thacker aka Tommy Gun. He has a wall of plaques and trophies from IDPA and IPSC. He shoots stupid fast and yes, on target. He has won a lot of money from people who think you cannot hit a bullseye shooting fast. He is just a naturally gifted speed shooter. I have known him for 10+ years as he is also the manager of the local gun shop.

-Scott-

21ft rule... IPSC... The difference is the IPSC shooter is waiting for the clock to start. OODA loops eat time. Situtational awareness decreases that time, and yes I'm an IPSC shooter. Still nothing funner that watching a pro smoke a stage. :)

There was a 'Shooting USA' program last week on my local cable channel. It covered many aspects of IPSC, including the customized guns, costs, and many segments of the participiants in actual matches.

It's odd to see a target react when the muzzle of the pistol is already aimed at another target.

Besides 'stupid fast' some of those new STI customized guns are beautiful to look at.

edit: You're right, I will never be as fast as Rob Leatham. But I think that a bonus of combat shooting as it relates to street self defense is that this 'muscle memory' we all love can be applied for a guy with a knife at 21 feet. We all should be in yellow anyway and we should be aware of a guy trying to close distance.

My little .380 might be our last choice for serious combat. But I will have it, it is a variant of a 1911, and I have poured tens of thousands of rounds down range with that style of pistol. I use Gold Dots, I have an extra clip and I know how to do a tactical reload.

If an attack broke out, I would rather be an old guy with IPSC experience than a young buck with a knife.

Besides, shooting in quasi-competition at your local club is just plain fun. I miss it. I still have my stuff, and I had a new style holster that covered the trigger I could enter 'single stacker' games. Yeah, I'd probably be Class C.
    Last edited by The Tourist; June 15th, 2005 at 02:44 PM.

Links