How to be a good student

This is a discussion on How to be a good student within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As with anything else, being a good student begins with mindset. Before attending any formal training, you must first have the mindset of a student. ...

Thread: How to be a good student

How to be a good student

As with anything else, being a good student begins with mindset. Before attending any formal training, you must first have the mindset of a student. Your goal is to learn when you go to a class. If your purpose of attending was to teach, then you would be hosting the class and not paying to attend!

I believe one thing that needs to be addressed is, “Why do you need training?” One of the reasons is that there are things you need to know when dealing with certain life threatening situations. There are a number of things that you may never think of on your own that are critical to your survival.

The main obstacle in learning anything is our ego. Some egos are much larger than others. We all have it, whether or not will we admit it. Truth be known, our egos actually prevent us from actively pursuing formal training because we think that we know more than what we do! If we were all honest with ourselves, most of us do not like to be told that we don’t know something or that we have much to improve on.

When attending a course, you are not there to show what you know. You are there to learn what you do not know! Just because you have trained with some of the big name schools does not mean that you know more than anyone else. In fact, no way is “The way” to do things regardless of the popularity of the school or instructor. What you don’t know can get you killed. On the other hand, what you THINK you know can get you killed because your ego can lead to cockiness.

WHY are you taking the training in the first place? Exactly what are you looking to learn?

Listen to what the instructors are telling you and try it their way while you are there. If it doesn’t work for you, then don’t use it when you leave.

Don’t purposely try and make the instructor look bad. You can debate something in a positive way. The instructor may become defensive because he feels he is being attacked so try to choose your wording carefully. If your question could lead into a conversation that could be quite lengthy, wait until a break or after the course is over for the day to ask the question because instructors have a course agenda and timeline to follow.

Train on why things work or do not work. Very seldom should you take anything anyone says as the “gospel”. Just because someone with a huge list of credentials says something does not make it so! What they are telling you COULD get you seriously injured or killed. Don’t ever follow anyone blindly in anything you are doing whether it is firearms training, self-defense training, religion, etc. Dig deep to find the truth. And in regards to self-defense/firearms training, you will need to put in some dirt time to figure out why something does or does not work. After all, your life depends upon whether or not something works. Therefore, I think that it is a good idea to research things before using them.

You are not there to help others out unless it is safety related. For example, if you see someone sweeping people with the muzzle of their gun, I would say that it is your DUTY to immediately say something to that person to stop the danger NOW!

Everyone has something to offer you! In our opinion everyone is a student and a teacher. It is simply a matter as to whether or not you are willing to learn what they want to share with you!

Remember, train hard, train often, and train realistically!
    Brian K. LaMaster
    President, Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC
    Instructor, Counter Force International
    http://www.right2defend.com
    http://www.modernwarriortalk.com

2. Remove Ads

This is a great post, Brian. I think every single one of the training classes that I have attended has had a student that needed to read this post before attending.

Listen to what the instructors are telling you and try it their way while you are there. If it doesn’t work for you, then don’t use it when you leave.
    If they are presenting a new technique to you that you may not agree with, ask the 'why' behind the technique and make sure you understand the 'why' before making any judgements. Just get the info and try the techniques and make your decisions after you have returned home and are training with the new techniques. Plus it is bad form to argue with the instructor during the class, it interrupts the class, and distracts the other students. (Note: I'm definitely not talking about safety issues.)

Ego is one of the biggest barriers to learning.

It can prevent you from even taking a training class; "what do I need training for, I took the CCW class, I know how to shoot".

Or it can prevent you from being honest with yourself; "oh, I'm fine I don't need to do dry fire or rethink how I reload".

Absolutely correct Brian... No matter where I attend a class, I always learn something worth the price of the program and often times way more.

That also includes things totally different than other classes I've been to.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    How to be a good student?
    Keep your mouth shut and your ears ( and mind) open.
    The more advanced you get the fewer new things there are to learn, yet every class has one or two points that turn out to be priceless.

Administrator
    I like it. Good post. You will never really understand why you need to train until you begin training.
    Last edited by SIXTO; October 8th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As the instructor, you must also keep in mind how groups of people work (interact / behave) in the "learning" environment....

Forming - Storming - Norming - Performing

Randy

Links