Courses in Florida?

Courses in Florida?

This is a discussion on Courses in Florida? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have lived in Central Florida for over 30 years and my Father is actually a native of Miami. We left for awhile during the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Courses in Florida?

Courses in Florida?

I have lived in Central Florida for over 30 years and my Father is actually a native of Miami. We left for awhile during the Korea and Vietnam Wars while he was in the Marines and I eventually in the Navy and on our return have found that this has become a scary place. Not a day goes by without a home invasion, car jacking, or other violent personal action. My wife and I have taken the appropriate courses and now have our concealed permits. We applied the same time and it took nearly a month longer for my wife to receive hers than it took to get mine, and she is truly a better, and more conscientious person than I am - go figure. We have taken some local shooting classes and Practical / Tactical sessions but really want to go the next stop. I am considering Massad Ayoob's LFI1 course but like to provide local industry support and wanted to know if anyone knew if there were comparable (or close) course offerings in Florida that we could take.

VIP Member
    You are lucky living in Central Florida. I recommend Southern Exposure Training in Lakeland. They host classes with some of the best trainers in the industry.
    The new schedule should be up soon.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks Miggy! Yeh, Miami, while our home town is a bit much now days!

You might want to check out Andy Stanford at Options for Personal Security in Sebring, FL.

I think its www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
    Last edited by PaulG; October 4th, 2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    You are lucky living in Central Florida. I recommend Southern Exposure Training in Lakeland. They host classes with some of the best trainers in the industry.
    +1 on Southern Exposure. They do bring down some great people, including Randy Cain.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    You might want to check out Andy Stanford at Options for Personal Security in Sebring, FL.

I think its www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
    I have been checking his web site now for quite some time, and don't see any new classes scheduled. Am I missing something? I was very interested in taking one of his classes.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Taking a Randi Cain course there 5-7Nov.
    Highly recommended.Looking forward to learning a lot.
    I believe 2008 schedule is up now.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Taking a Randi Cain course there 5-7Nov.
    Highly recommended.Looking forward to learning a lot.
    I believe 2008 schedule is up now.
    Make sure you dont get awarded the Windowlicker T-Shirt!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Mas Ayoob resides in FL now I believe; specifically Live Oak.

Coincidentally enough, he is running an LFI-I course there December 6 - 9.

I went to LFI-I and II. I highly recommend the courses.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Mas Ayoob resides in FL now I believe; specifically Live Oak.

Coincidentally enough, he is running an LFI-I course there December 6 - 9.

I went to LFI-I and II. I highly recommend the courses.

srfl...

Do you have a web page or phone number for this?

Thanks...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    srfl...

Do you have a web page or phone number for this?

Thanks...

ret
    http://www.ayoob.com/LFIschedule.html
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Whether he is living in Florida or not, attending LFI-1 will provide you with a measure of knowledge you won't get at most other schools...

Castle Doctrine laws or not, in todays litigious society, the depth of training he provides for the legalities of lethal force is invaluable. The good thing about Ayoob is he travels and puts on several classes a year all over the country.

Plus after speaking via email with Carey Haughwout in the Palm Beach County public defenders office in Florida, she told me that prosecutors with a political agenda are filing charges against ccw shootings to directly challenge Florida's Castle Doctrine law.

Personally, I believe no one today prepares you the way Ayoob does on the legalities of lethal force law.

With the violence and the state of today's prisons, if I end up doing 10 years or even life in prison for defending myself, it pretty much defeats the purpose of defending myself, and I would probably rather to have just been killed in the intitial gun battle. There are things in life, worse than death. (I may rethink that, if I'm ever in that position but for now, it's kind of how I feel.)

I see a lot of people on this forum and others who seem to be fairly cavalier about when they will or can shoot someone. I am not one of those. I keep my mouth shut with others, mind my own business, and avoid situations or potential situations at all cost.

If I'm out and about with the wife or others and something even starts to blow up or even smells funny... I'm outta there, way before it does. I don't let my curiosity get the best of me and just hang around to see what happens. People talk about helping others who are being assaulted and when to get involved.... for me... I'm usually long gone before I would know someone were to need assistance. On all others, it's definitely a case by case basis and I play it as I see it. But whatever the case, it will be extraordinary situations where I feel compelled to intervene with deadly force. I will call 911 and get the calvary enroute as soon as possible.

Keeping out of prison and out of the poorhouse due to litigation is every bit as much a responsibility to my family as defending myself and my family with a gun.

While I have 5 of Ayoobs video's, most of his books and read countless articles (including a CD rom compilation of articles) he's written for close to 30 years now, I have put off attending LFI long enough, and it is on my schedule for attending sometime in the next 18 months. Sooner if I can swing it!

One other thing... If you are an LFI student of his and are involved in a shooting incident, he will testify on your behalf (free of charge) if he believes it was a good shoot, which of course it will be because his students are responsible citizens!

And that my friends is one insurance policy and one phone number I want in my pocket should the need arise. I will be needing his expert advise just in helping my attorney mount a defense.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Keeping out of prison and out of the poorhouse due to litigation is every bit as much a responsibility to my family as defending myself and my family with a gun.

That is something which everyone who carries a gun should commit to memory, and repeat to themselves every time they leave their house armed.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have been checking his web site now for quite some time, and don't see any new classes scheduled. Am I missing something? I was very interested in taking one of his classes.

Ron
    The website has been dead for a while. I'm almost positive Andy has left FLA and relocated in CA.

You might try:

http://www.highpointpst.com/

A lot of traveling trainers make a stop in FLA once or twice a year, as they make stops elsewhere. Just bookmark their schedules and keep checking:

http://www.yfainc.com/

http://www.tridentconcepts.com/

http://www.defense-training.com/

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/

...and almost all of them will come out to you if you sponsor the class, where "sponsor" means: secure a local range and ensure minimum head count.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    The website has been dead for a while. I'm almost positive Andy has left FLA and relocated in CA.

You might try:

http://www.highpointpst.com/

A lot of traveling trainers make a stop in FLA once or twice a year, as they make stops elsewhere. Just bookmark their schedules and keep checking:

http://www.yfainc.com/
    After reading Ron's response, I decided to email Andy's group at the address provided on the web site: info@opstraining.com.

I got an "undeliverable" response.

You would think Andy would at least link the site to his new location or take it down.

Bummer. I've heard good things about his classes.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links