'gangsta' shooting

This is a discussion on 'gangsta' shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would holding the pistol sideways (along with tilting your head likewise so you can still achieve proper sight alignment/picture w/ the iron sights) while firing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'gangsta' shooting

'gangsta' shooting

Would holding the pistol sideways (along with tilting your head likewise so you can still achieve proper sight alignment/picture w/ the iron sights) while firing from behind cover actually be a viable technique in reducing the profile of your noggin over the cover?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    You can do it. Shooting with a ballistic shield it is needed(LE/ SWAT use). For barrier shooting , I see no real need .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Would holding the pistol sideways (along with tilting your head likewise so you can still achieve proper sight alignment/picture w/ the iron sights) while firing from behind cover actually be a viable technique in reducing the profile of your noggin over the cover?
    ANYTHING that would reduce your profile and reduce the chances of you getting shot while being able to shoot back would be a viable technique.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

+1 to what Hotguns said.

SY

Administrator
    Its proper technique to cant your gun slightly when shooting one handed. No head tilt needed.

You arm is naturally stronger with the slight inward cant.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by credy View Post
    I've never tried shooting a pistol like this, but I've heard problems with jams when the ejection port is facing up. I wouldn't rely on a tactic like that until I put a few hundred rounds through your pistol "gangster style"
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

wrong impression...

I saw the title of this thread and thought it might be "open season" on gangsta'z...my bad
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its proper technique to cant your gun slightly when shooting one handed. No head tilt needed.

You arm is naturally stronger with the slight inward cant.
    Exactly. Recoil management is much better too. Less muzzle flip and back on-target faster.

The POI / POA difference isn't significant at combat distances.

Randy

I find that weak hand improvised combat shooting is often improved when the gun is 'allowed' to angle at 15-20 deg or so off vert.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ANYTHING that would reduce your profile and reduce the chances of you getting shot while being able to shoot back would be a viable technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Exactly. Recoil management is much better too. Less muzzle flip and back on-target faster.

The POI / POA difference isn't significant at combat distances.
    Bingo! ^^

People scoff at this method of handling and aimed shooting, but frankly out side of movies and TV it does work and does well when practiced and trained into ones muscle memory.
    As long as round(s) outbound hit target(s) inbound whether ones sights are on the horizontal or off does not matter as the bore axis remains same 360 degrees.

- Bokeem Woodbine
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Be careful, though, folks - what is being espoused here is a slight to moderate cant, NOT a 90 rotation off of vertical. With the arm extended in a one handed grip, the hand will naturally cant a bit towards the "inboard" side - this is a very good and natural position for one-handed shooting. You can still use the sights if you have time, the weapon is held solidly, the recoil impulse will not feel dramatically different from vertical hold, etc.

In the end, though, Hotguns is right - if you can shoot accurately while maintaining cover, do it! Even if it means you are upside down, holding the weapon between your feet, pulling the trigger with your pinky....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have noticed that I tend to cant the gun a bit when shooting around the left side of a barrier to try and minimize the amount of body surface past the barrier. I should also say that i am right handed.

If you're tired of turning your head sideways to see down the sights, maybe this will help when you are shooting sideways.

I thought that the thread title would be about gangser shooting, if it was titled "gangsta shootin'.

that doesn't make sense. sorry.

Canting the gun slightly is part of the "natural fist" that was taught at several schools in the 80's as a fast way to put rounds on target in a "close hostile interpersonal encounter" where you are only able to use one hand. It is still taught by many schools but for different reasons. This technique is based on the fact that when you point, or punch, your grip angle is canted inward with the natural alignment of the arm and wrist bones. You do this naturally. And when combined with eye/hand coordination can put rounds or target. This technique was taught at near-contact distances.

Another reason for canting gun slightly is "cross-eye dominance". Usually this occurs in people who were supposed to be left-handed but their parents forced them to be right handed. Instead of having to re-learn to shoot and manipulate a gun we teach "cross eye dominant" shooters to cant the pistol slightly so they can shoot right-handed while focusing with the left eye.

PS. View my avatar and you will see what I think.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links