Defensive Carry banner

Handgun retention skills

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  riverkeeper 
#1 ·
How many have taken training in handgun retention, how important is it to you and what style? On the flip side, how many have pondered taking such a class but have been putting it off?

My reason for asking is this, we offer this class but find many people do not believe they need this/these skills. I think that if you are going to carry a gun concealed you should consider that for whatever reason someone just might know and try for a freebie and w/o these skills can be a very bad thing.

#2 ·
Instruct in this myself Kevin.

I wrote an article for the Mass Patrol Log [ monthly police publication statewide in Mass ] on weapon retention back in the mid 90's that became required reading for the Mass. State Police academy cadets when it was published.

Weapon retention goes HinH with H2H skills.

There has been information within the prison systems from video surveillance within, for at least two decades, that inmates have practiced and are practicing physical skills in taking an officers gun from them on the "outside" [ read on the streets ].

Officers and ccw owners should recognize that not only are there those people out there who would look to take THEIR weapon from them, but are training to do so.

Brownie

#6 ·
Brownie,

Good to hear about having your article "required" reading for the troopers.

Out of interest, do you favor say Lindel's, Ayoob's techniques or someone elses? Our group teaches Ayoob's techniques.

#4 ·
We teach it also, not as a standalone class, but as a part of our intermediate level handgun course. After a demonstration and exercises using disarming techniques, the benefits of retention training is easily recognized and understood.

The problem with a lot of agencies is their DT people don't do anything with firearms and the FIs don't do anything other than firearms training. Somewhere, the training in these two areas needs to be merged.

Randy

#7 ·
The problem with a lot of agencies is their DT people don't do anything with firearms and the FIs don't do anything other than firearms training. Somewhere, the training in these two areas needs to be merged.

Randy
Good idea, but do yeah think it will ever happen? I have seen it happen here with several agencies in regards to topics of great importance such as this one being grossly overlooked.

#5 ·
Shooting from retention is one of our practice routines, and we feature it in most of our IDPA matches.

I would consider the familiarity with retention shooting to be essential for any self defense shooter.

HK Dan

#8 ·
Kevin,

I teach a few techniques [ dependant on whether the attempt comes from the front, side or behind ] that we were shown in 81 while training at SIONICS in Powder Springs, Ga.

I integrate those into immediate followup H2H skills from the ww2 combatives and defensive edged weapons training, again dependant on the situation you are facing.

We were shown a couple of gun retention skills at the Mass Criminal Justice Training Council academy in 91 when I went on, and again at the yearly in service training that were absolutely just terrible.

Brownie

#9 ·
I practiced Ayoob style retention as presented in his books in the 80's ... Stress fire and another one of his books.

I practice retention shooting in the South Narc 2 and standard low retention positions.

BUT

Since I carry strong appendix, some cross draw and some strong side pocket the weapons is less vulnerable to swipes SO MOST of my response base is H2H ... elbows, knees, claws, gouges, punches, deflections, kicks, stomps ... etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.