Fun drill!

Fun drill!

This is a discussion on Fun drill! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Thursday I ran (yet another) range for the gun-toters that work in my facility. These are all Federal Agents of one stripe or another, ...

Thread: Fun drill!

VIP Member

Fun drill!

Last Thursday I ran (yet another) range for the gun-toters that work in my facility. These are all Federal Agents of one stripe or another, and all very good guys - some are "barrel suckers" like me, but most are not. All have at least a moderate amount of firearms training and experience.

Well, after shooting the standard qual courses for DEA, FBI, DSS, and USSS, I started with some different drills. The guys were using Glocks and Sigs, with some .mil guys using the M9. One shooter, who works directly for me (not a FLEO), is required by local law to use a revo, and my agency maintains several for that purpose. Well, I decided to have a little fun with my FLEO bretheren, and set up a little drill/contest just to keep things interesting.

I had two shooters start at the 25m line. On the whistle, they had to run up to the 10m line, secure the S&W Model 19 (2.5"bbl) on the ground in front of them, load it with the speed loader sitting next to it, and knock down a "pepper popper" target. First one to put the steel down was the winner. Sounds pretty simple, right?

Well, a couple of complications... Most of these guys (in their late 30s/early 40s, mostly) had never used a revolver. They didn't know how to operate one. They also had never used a speedloader. So, to make the drill at least do-able, I gave them a 30 second class on how to open the cylinder, load the rounds, close the cylinder, and fire. Then they were on their own.

Second complication - I loaded the speed loader with three dummy rounds, 1 round of .38 Spl wadcutter, and two rounds of .357 Magnum 125gr JHP. The wadcutter was not powerful enough to knock the popper down, so they had to get a hit with one of the two .357 rounds. Watching the guys struggle to put the gun into operation, then watching the "death grip" recoil anticipation on the dummy rounds (especially after they touched off one of the .357 rounds), and watching these generally accomplished shooters miss a pepper popper at 10m (over and over, in some cases), was pretty danged funny, I'll tell you.

Aside from the humor factor, though, the idea of an "unfamiliar weapon drill," while certainly not new, seems like something I might keep in the bag of tricks... I just need someone else to bring "unfamiliar" guns to the range for me to use!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    as long as the point was "driven home" that these people should make themselves familiar with all weapon types b/c their lives and their colleagues lives could very well depend on it, i could see this actually being a very fruitful/productive drill. Very creative.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Anything that takes us as shooters out of our comfort zone and pushes us to adapt under stress is good. In the real world things won't go down nice and orderly like they do on the range. On a timed event using a Steyr M9 I couldn't find the safety. It was an unfamiliar weapon. Got alot of laughs on the range, could have got me killed in a real situation. Knowledge is definitely your friend.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    Sounds like ya had fun too!

VIP Member
    The cops that we work with down here are often armed with revolvers (Taurus, being locally made, is the overwhelmingly dominant brand). I thought it would be interesting to see how these guys would do if forced to use a revo. The short answer is - not very well.

And yes, I had fun, too!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

i like it!

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    What was the winning time?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    What was the winning time?
    I don't remember, but it was embarassingly slow. And there were tons of misses from guys who can blow the X-ring out at 25m with their normal guns...unfamiliarity coupled with time and competition stress equaled some pretty poor shooting!

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like fun...... Of course I enjoyed my Colt Trooper in 357!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links