Dry Firing With Glock And Snap Caps

This is a discussion on Dry Firing With Glock And Snap Caps within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (1) Can someone give me the corrects steps to "DRY FIRING" or point me to a website that gives this information? (2) Though I have ...

(1) Can someone give me the corrects steps to "DRY FIRING" or point me to a website that gives this information?

(2) Though I have read in many places that it is O.K. to "DRY FIRE" a Glock, for practice, dropping and loading magazines, etc., I want to use "SNAP CAPS." However, I am having trouble finding them for a Glock 32 -- .357 Sig. Does anyone have any info where I can find these to use in my practice?

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    http://www.botachtactical.com/pacazsnap.html

two second google search,first page that popped up.

EDIT: more...

http://tinyurl.com/2g985y

http://tinyurl.com/2qawfk

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Just remember unlike a gun with a hammer you need to rack the slide everytime on the glock . so you will need a mag full to make it worthwhile and then remember to change out the snap caps for live rounds before you carry it again..

I have also heard the snap caps come out of some glock hard

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    On my XD I can rock the slide back a little,not enough to extract a snapcap but enough to recock the firing pin.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    On my XD I can rock the slide back a little,not enough to extract a snapcap but enough to recock the firing pin.
    Glocks are the same, you need to pull it back just enough to reset the trigger.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I hate dry-firing Glocks.

The sound they make reminds me of those rubber-tipped dart guns I had as a kid, and it bothers me that this sound is now coming from something my life might depend upon......

:o)

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page52.html
    357 SIG

http://www.lymanproducts.com/azoom/index.htm

these will last forever and not break like the full and partial plastic

these will run reliable forever in your gun unlike the full and partial plastic

The concern with dry firing a glock is that every time you "fire", your support hand comes off of the grip and cycles the slide.

What are you *really* training to do?

Randy

A-zoom has them here.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page52.html

Also, there are some safety issues you should follow when dry-firing. Like, keep ALL live ammo out of the room you are dry-firing in and OFF YOUR PERSON. If you ever leave the room (even for an instant) check the firearm and magazine to ensure no live rounds. This is not an all inclusive list. Maybe search on the forum for dry firing. You should find good info.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

I use the dummunition rounds sold on glock store to put rounds in the magazine. the top round is an a-zoom snap cap. THe dummunition is so the weight feels the same as a similarly loaded gun. the a-zoom snap cap is to protect the firing pin. However, most people tell me that I can dry fire my glocks without the snap-cap. For a couple bucks and my peace of mind, I choose to use a snap-cap.

I also use a beamhit training system with an in-barrel laser. I can draw and dry fire to a target and actually see if I hit the target. It is a little expensive, but well worth it if you can afford it.

As said earlier, with the glock, you only need to move the slide slightly to reset the trigger.

Even without the beamhit, you can practice dry-firing. The advantage of beamhit is that you get feedback if your dry firing actually would have been a hit on target.

Ross sporting goods has a trigger reset kit for glocks. I bought one. It does not actuate the beamhit laser, so I don't use it. It just sits idle.

My recommendation for anyone is that they should use the money saved for an additional gun purchase and invest it in a beamhit with in-barrel laser (this is key so you can practice draw and fire) and snap caps and dummunition. You would be totally amazed what consistent 15 minutes daily practice will do for your skills.

Administrator

Glock handguns are perfectly 100% safe to dry fire without snap-caps but, if you want to use them then that's OK by me but, you are not saving or protecting the firing pin or the breech face or anything else in a Glock by using snap-caps. The pistol is designed to be dry-fired without damage to the pistol.
    If you're into feel-good-ism...and it makes you feel better...then by all means buy them and use them.
    It's good for the U.S. economy to go out and buy things.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post

The sound they make reminds me of those rubber-tipped dart guns I had as a kid...
    YES!!!

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post

The sound they make reminds me of those rubber-tipped dart guns I had as a kid, and it bothers me that this sound is now coming from something my life might depend upon......

:o)
    I reinforce that childhood memory by placing a pencil eraser-end first into the Glock barrel and firing it vertically. It will spring up a foot or 2 quite impressively.

Administrator
    Just as an added FYI Colt, S&W, & Ruger handguns can also all be dry fired without snap caps.
    That info first hand from the source as I called them all years ago to settle an argument.
    Well, not exactly an argument but, a slight difference of opinion.
    So no need to give somebody a look like they just tore up a 100 dollar bill if they dry fire your handgun.
    It IS proper gun etiquette to ask permission though before you dry-fire any firearm that does not belong to you personally.
    That would include asking first at the gun shop also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links