beamhit glock modifications

This is a discussion on beamhit glock modifications within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have and use the beamhit and like it. What I do not like is needing to rack the slide for the next shot. Beamhit ...

I have and use the beamhit and like it. What I do not like is needing to rack the slide for the next shot. Beamhit offers a service to modify a glock so that it can be repeatedly dry-fired without the necessary re-racking the slide.

http://www.mpri.com/ttg/m/_general/p...9&riIDClass=40
    http://www.mpri.com/ttg/c/cnt/down/GLOCK1.pdf

This is a very pricey option and takes on glock out of service. However, I think this would allow for better training and not ingraining a bad behavior (draw, shoot, rack slide for trigger reset, fire again).

Anyone out there had this done to their Glock for training purposes? How was the trigger pull compared to standard glock trigger pull? Thoughts or recommendations on this?

Thanks.

You can slide a small spacer between the breechface and the chamber and the striker will not strike. You can operate the trigger all you want at that point, but it will be missing the 'break'.

A paperclip will work. If you'd like more details check out the GLOCK forum on BrianEnos.com.

Dan

Ps--as an aside, what do you gain from a multi-shot drill in dry fire?
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Airsoft is cheaper and more realistic.

This is another option for the non-departmentally-funded: http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...Fire+Practice/

Who knows- Beamhit may have a LE niche market, and just decided to offer the service as a general mod. Money poorly spent for the citizen, IMHO...

HK Dan - The concussion of the striker hitting the gun actuates the beam. If that cannot be done repeatedly, the laser beam will not work. Multi-shot dry fire would be for me to set up multiple targets in different locations and shoot each of them. Doubletaps, etc. ... Plus I do not want to ingrain racking the slide in my muscle memory during training. I'd hate to do that in a real situation.

Rob72 - I tried a trigger reset kit similar to that (Ross Sporting goods). It does NOT actuate the laser, so would not be what I need.

I am going to check further into this and report back what I find.

Thanks for the replies.

Sojourner,

I am interested in the "Beamhit" training system you mentioned.

In the past, I tried Rovatec's Bullite, which stopped working after about 100 shots. (I would not recommend purchasing since they have had a lot of trouble with failures).

What kind of laser is in the firearm? Visible or infrared?

If visible, is it possible to practice without computer target set up?

Quote Originally Posted by quantum36 View Post
    Sojourner,

I am interested in the "Beamhit" training system you mentioned.

In the past, I tried Rovatec's Bullite, which stopped working after about 100 shots. (I would not recommend purchasing since they have had a lot of trouble with failures).

What kind of laser is in the firearm? Visible or infrared?

If visible, is it possible to practice without computer target set up?
    The basic in-barrel laser training system with in-barrel laser.
    Glockstore has them. http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...g%2BDevices%2F

I spoke to someone at MPRI, the mfr. of beamhit, somebody from glock and somebody from airsplat.com. Here is what I found

From MPRI - there are 3 options for shooting glock with beamhit and not needing to manually reset the trigger by moving the slide after each shot.

(1) send in a Glock to beamhit and they will put in modifications to the glock (and return your original parts) so that the trigger will reset automatically. You can change back in original parts, but that is not something that should be done frequently. Overall cost is about $300 - $325 plus the cost of a glock to use for training.
    Pros: same weight and feel of glock (cause it is a glock), very similar but slightly heavier trigger feel
    cons: cost, take one of your glocks out of service, no recoil because the slide does not move

(2) buy a glock red handle trainer gun that resets automatically and actuates the laser without racking slide. This is estimated to be $300 to $500.
    Pros: same as option 1
    Cons: Glock will only sell this to a leo department for department use only. If not LEO, this is not an available option.

(3) buy a KWA green gas gun and perform some modifications to it so that it will fit and actuate the laser. Mods are take the slide sleeve liner out, take 1/2" fake rifling out 8.5 to 9mm, grind 1/4" off magazine (so that it does not lock open). The guy from beamhit told me what to do and that I can call him back specifically if/when I get the KWA green gas gun. He also said that the trigger pull weight is slightly lighter (I've shot other brands of green gas guns and can attest to that), but the actuates the slide and can simulate some recoil.
    Pros: cost (gun is $110), airsplat told me that with the gun I ordered (KWA G19), I can put in any OEM or aftermarket sights onto the slide. Also told it will fit a holster for a real glock, also told the weight is meant to be similar to a real glock.
    Cons: If you buy the gun and make the modifications, you probably cannot reverse them to use the gun as an airsoft gun.

My thought was to go right to option 2. The nice people from Glock told me that since I am not LEO dept., I cannot buy one. Next option is option 3. So, I have ordered KWA G19 from airsplat.com, and their upgrade airsoft kit (has higher flowing gas, which I was told would simulate more recoil) and two cans of the green gas. In the interim (before I mod the KWA G19) I am going to see if I can find some used Glock training gun for sale to a mere mortal like me. That way I could keep the green gas gun for FOF training (which I usually do in the winter months).

So, by next Thursday I should have my KWA G19 gun. Shouldn't take much time to mod it to actuate the beamhit laser.

It is definitely expensive (cost of beamhit plus the airsoft gun, etc. ...). But I would think it would be worth it to be able to train as much as I want at home.

If anyone is interested, I will update the forum with progress or lack of progress.

Don't lose too much sleep over the "R" model Glock. I have one and, while the trigger does reset, it is not the same "reset" as obtained when the slide cycles. The trigger pull is much heavier than obtained with the normal reset.

Now, if you are thinking about doing a modification yourself, I'll be glad to tell you how Glock did it in their "R" model and send a picture or three.

The red gun may or may not activate a laser module, depending upon how it is configured to function. (I'm sure BH knows how their lasers work ;) ) In the red gun design, the firing pin has no tip and there's no slot milled into the breech face for the firing pin tip to protrude, if it did have one.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Don't lose too much sleep over the "R" model Glock. I have one and, while the trigger does reset, it is not the same "reset" as obtained when the slide cycles. The trigger pull is much heavier than obtained with the normal reset.

Now, if you are thinking about doing a modification yourself, I'll be glad to tell you how Glock did it in their "R" model and send a picture or three.

The red gun may or may not activate a laser module, depending upon how it is configured to function. (I'm sure BH knows how their lasers work ;) ) In the red gun design, the firing pin has no tip and there's no slot milled into the breech face for the firing pin tip to protrude, if it did have one.

Randy
    Yes I am thinking about doing a modification myself. I would very much appreciate it if you send me descriptions and as many pictures as you want.

Beamhit told me that the glock training gun was created to be used with the beamhit lasers. Also told that the trigger pull was heavier because LEO leadership wanted cops to be exercising thier trigger fingers to make them stronger.

So, please send description and pictures.

I typed "red gun" in the last paragraph and it really should have been "R" model gun. There are the "P" models, which are also red in color, but have the same firing system as the standard models. I.E. their trigger does not reset without a cycle on the slide.

Reset model:
    The firing pin is longer; thus the FP lug is located farther to the rear of the slide than on the standard FP. If you think about how the standard reset works, this configuration allows the trigger bar to return to a position in front of the FP lug when the trigger is allowed to move forward, without having to move the entire slide rearward.

The standard coil spring is not installed. Instead, there's a spring that pushes upward at approximately a 45 degree angle on the underside of the cruciform.

I'll post some pictures soon and maybe the brief description above will make more sense.

Randy

ckd
    I do like training with my primary, but for beam hit, just pickup a used double action, and I think you'll find that you won't be that far off; decisions and general gun handling are the same. I don't care for the idea of taking a realiable SD HG and modifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by ckd View Post
    I do like training with my primary, but for beam hit, just pickup a used double action, and I think you'll find that you won't be that far off; decisions and general gun handling are the same. I don't care for the idea of taking a realiable SD HG and modifying it.
    I don't see the reason to pick up a double action gun that does not have the same grip angle and trigger feel of the glock. I believe training should mimic as much as possible the environment that would be used in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I typed "red gun" in the last paragraph and it really should have been "R" model gun. There are the "P" models, which are also red in color, but have the same firing system as the standard models. I.E. their trigger does not reset without a cycle on the slide.

Reset model:
    The firing pin is longer; thus the FP lug is located farther to the rear of the slide than on the standard FP. If you think about how the standard reset works, this configuration allows the trigger bar to return to a position in front of the FP lug when the trigger is allowed to move forward, without having to move the entire slide rearward.

The standard coil spring is not installed. Instead, there's a spring that pushes upward at approximately a 45 degree angle on the underside of the cruciform.

I'll post some pictures soon and maybe the brief description above will make more sense.

Randy
    Randy - please post some pictures and a brief description. I really want to try this mod without sending into beamhit.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    ... (3) buy a KWA green gas gun and perform some modifications to it so that it will fit and actuate the laser. Mods are take the slide sleeve liner out, take 1/2" fake rifling out 8.5 to 9mm, grind 1/4" off magazine (so that it does not lock open). The guy from beamhit told me what to do and that I can call him back specifically if/when I get the KWA green gas gun. He also said that the trigger pull weight is slightly lighter (I've shot other brands of green gas guns and can attest to that), but the actuates the slide and can simulate some recoil.
    Pros: cost (gun is $110), airsplat told me that with the gun I ordered (KWA G19), I can put in any OEM or aftermarket sights onto the slide. Also told it will fit a holster for a real glock, also told the weight is meant to be similar to a real glock.
    Cons: If you buy the gun and make the modifications, you probably cannot reverse them to use the gun as an airsoft gun. ...
    I have the KWA gun. I have not modified it yet to fit the in-barrel laser for dry-firing. I am going to try to find extra KWA parts I will be modifying so it can be either used for airsoft FOF or for beamhit dry firing.

I have not tried putting aftermarket sights on it yet. Eyeballing it, it looks like I will be able to do so.

The funny thing is it cannot be field-stripped after the trigger has been depressed. It has to be depressed with the trigger ready to fire. Just the opposite of a real glock.

I tried it out in my garage on some targets. It works and would definnitely be good for FOF drills. It looks and feels like a glock. But, the dimensions are not exact. If I attempt to put it in my CTAC kydex holster, I cannot (that is until I loosen the retention screws and make the holster a little wider). It fits in my K&D leather holster, but I am worried that repeated use inside the leather holster will make the holster less secure for my real firearm (being that the airsoft has larger dimensions).

So, if the KWA option works, longterm solution would be to get another holster that is used exclusively for the airsoft gun.

I'll report with updates if you are still interested.

Update

I took an 11/32" drill bit and reamed out the 1/4 inch of fake rifling on the barrel sleeve. I took a piece of foam window insulation and put it in the magazine where the bbs feed (did this to simulate bbs in the mag so it would not go into slide lock). I put the in-barrel laser inside the barrel sleeve instead of the actual barrel. Then re-assembled.

I then went to town on my target. I have to say, the simple modification worked very well. I was able to shoot multiple times without racking the slide to reset the trigger. I was able to double tap. Shooting and moving. Shooting behind cover (my wife's car in our garage) Etc ...

Then I took out the laser and replaced it with the barrel. Took out the foam insulation from the mag. Put some bbs in and shot. That works too. So, I am still good for FOF training.

Observations. The cup and dot sights are different than my aftermarket night sights. The "recoil" is minimal. It does not accurately simulate the recoil of a 9mm, however, IMO it is better than no recoil. If anyone wants to set themselves up for good amounts of dry-fire practice and has the funds, I would definitely recommend a beamhit target with in-barrel laser. If you use a glock 19/23 you can get the airgun I mentioned and really be able to practice. If you use a different gun, you might be able to find its airsoft analog at http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/GP.htm

Where I am now. I have to decide if it is worth it to acquire aftermarket tru-glo TFOs so I can train with the same sights as I have now. Also, I would need to find a cheap holster that rides at the same height and cant as my K&D OWB eagle defender (so I can practice draw and shoot from same setup without stretching my holster).

Might just be time to give my wife a wish-list for Christmas.

Happy thanksgiving all.

Links