Slingshot or Slide Release? - Page 2

Slingshot or Slide Release?

This is a discussion on Slingshot or Slide Release? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are we talking about for defensive shooting or competitive? There are no guarantees and there are advantages and disadvantages to each method. I have missed ...

View Poll Results: Do you Slingshot or Slide Release?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slingshot

109 69.43%
  • Slide Release

48 30.57%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slingshot or Slide Release?

Senior Moderator
    Are we talking about for defensive shooting or competitive?

There are no guarantees and there are advantages and disadvantages to each method. I have missed as many or more slingshots and over the tops, than slide releases.

We talk about fine motor skills going away and all that, but we seem to be fully confident that we can hit the mag release button to initiate a reload, but we will not be able to locate and operate the slide release (I know, actually slide lock, but we're using it to release the slide in this context.).

The over the top - I learned this at Gunsite and it is powerful. Used it for many years and went to Blackwater. My instructor there related an incident where a guy used the over the top to clear a mal and it so happened the case was caught between the slide and the barrel WITH THE OPEN MOUTH OF THE CASE FORWARD!!! The guy did the sweep and the case ripped a swath of flesh all the way across the palm of his hand. . As the instructor put it, "He wasn't worth a **** the rest of the week."

Slingshot - not as strong as the over the top but good enough. The hand doesn't pass over a casing or the ejection port in the process so no danger of a case slicing a hand or the hand blocking the ejection port.

Mag release - pretty fast, lot's of top competitors use this method.

I now use the sling shot for two reasons, one because of what happened to the guy at Blackwater, two, because it is the same action you'd use in a malfunction drill. It's not that the slide release isn't a good way, it's that every time I use the slide release method, I miss an opportunity to train with the sling shot.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

For my Sig it doesn't matter and I often practice using both methods.

For my Kahr PM9 I follow Kahr's recommendation and use only the slide lock release. From the Kahr manual: "Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery."
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Moderator
    Ahhh, gimpy, you reminded me of another issue that came up at Blackwater. The instructor asked if anyone had had any problems using the slide release lever (SLR) to release the slide. A student that shoots a lot of IDPA said he had. He explained that when you release with the SRL the slide is further forward and on a full mag, he believed the recoil spring didn't have quite enough energy to close the slide.

With the slingshot, the slide is pulled fully rearward and more energy is imparted to the slide to strip the round from the mag. The gun he used is a Glock. However, I didn't give this a whole lot of weight because too many people use the SLR to release the slide and don't have a problem. He may have been shooting light loads and had a reduced power recoil spring to match the load.

Slingshot.

Regardless of pistol type and round chambering that is the 100% way to be 100% sure that the round is 100% seated fully in the breech.
    I've tried releasing the slide hold and not often but often enough to not be dependable there will be times where a misfeed will occur.

Slingshot FTW.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Waht about the best option?

The best option is the overhand method for a variety of reasons including strength, retention and consistency.

-RJP

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pincus View Post
    The best option is the overhand method for a variety of reasons including strength, retention and consistency.

-RJP
    Nothing is absolute best. Try racking a slide overhand while hiding the gun under a table or seated in a car. The slingshot is better in both.

Also, the overhand blocks your view of the ejection port; the slingshot does not.

pax
    The over the top - I learned this at Gunsite and it is powerful. Used it for many years and went to Blackwater. My instructor there related an incident where a guy used the over the top to clear a mal and it so happened the case was caught between the slide and the barrel WITH THE OPEN MOUTH OF THE CASE FORWARD!!! The guy did the sweep and the case ripped a swath of flesh all the way across the palm of his hand. . As the instructor put it, "He wasn't worth a **** the rest of the week."
    That's a training issue, not a problem with the overhand technique per se. Never ever put your hand over the ejection port.

With the slingshot, the slide is pulled fully rearward and more energy is imparted to the slide to strip the round from the mag. The gun he used is a Glock. However, I didn't give this a whole lot of weight because too many people use the SLR to release the slide and don't have a problem.
    I have seen this more than once, on defense guns without lightened springs, and not just on race guns. Usually tends to happen most when the firearm is dirty or poorly lubed, but some firearms and some firearms designs simply don't like being sent forward with the slide release.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

VIP Member
    Nothing is foolproof, and sooner or later we are all fooled. I use slingshot and the faster slide release depending on the situation. I try to practice a mag switch before slidelock, and then it's a non-issue.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Tangle,

That's so completely not true that I had to come back and respond... how you are performing what you are talking about I don't know, but the overhand method can always be done closer to the body than the slingshot, so it is better for confined spaces. Slingshotting requires the gun to be moved out from the body in order to get the hand behind it, overhand (or slide release for that matter) does not.

Similarly, the overhand method only covers the ejection port if you are doing it wrong. keep the hand behind the ejection port on the slide.

"Best" in the context of tactical pistol tehcnique is "most efficient, most of the time"... the search should be for consistency, which leads to greater efficiency.

-RJP

I do both, but more overhand than SLR or slingshot, but I try to keep any skill as sharp as I can.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Lead Moderator
    I don't think anyone can say what is best for everyone all the time. We each need to find what works best for us, then train on it.
    Not everyone has the same size gun, hands, type of gun, strength and so on. Stating absolutes is foolish, as one cannot know "the best" for everyone, every time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I don't think anyone can say what is best for everyone all the time. We each need to find what works best for us, then train on it.
    Not everyone has the same size gun, hands, type of gun, strength and so on. Stating absolutes is foolish, as one cannot know "the best" for everyone, every time.

Sorry if I didn't clarify before, for gaming (IPDA IPSC) I train for speed. Thats why i use the method i use its not for everybody.

I'm going to play the averages and focus on relevant skills for the averages.

Conducting a reload drill is good but if you consider the average gun fight 3 seconds 3 shots 3 feet, or what ever your interpretation is. Doing reloads is not relavant maybe not even malfunction driills are relavant (if your playing the averages) and if your still under attack. Maybe at this point some hand to hand stuff is better. I look at it this way, i f I'm in a senario where I need to reload I need to slow down make head shots only. PS I also brought the wrong gun to the fight.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Lead Moderator
    My comment wasn't directed to you Rob, more of a general observation.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Here comes my noobness, but can all semi autos sling shot? I was trying it out on my S&W sigma and it just wasn't working... the only way to re-engage the slide (thats prlly not the right word either) is to use the slide release. maybe i'm not doing it right. Help?
    You probably where doing it when you had no Ammunition in the gun, or your slide lever or magazine is broken.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Pincus,

It's possible and easy to slingshot from retention by just holding at the rear as normal and instead of pulling back on the slide press forward the frame and hold the slide tight with the off hand.
    I've shown people this way a few times when they have weak hand strength (offhand) or have weak upper body strength and normally find racking the slide to be difficult.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links