Slingshot or Slide Release?

This is a discussion on Slingshot or Slide Release? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood Here comes my noobness, but can all semi autos sling shot? I was trying it out on my S&W sigma and ...

View Poll Results: Do you Slingshot or Slide Release?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slingshot

109 69.43%
  • Slide Release

48 30.57%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slingshot or Slide Release?

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Here comes my noobness, but can all semi autos sling shot? I was trying it out on my S&W sigma and it just wasn't working... the only way to re-engage the slide (thats prlly not the right word either) is to use the slide release. maybe i'm not doing it right. Help?
    You have to have ammunition in the magazine for the slingshot technique to work An empty magazine locks the slide back and the only way to release it then is to hit the slide lock (aka release) lever.

Those are two other advantages of the slingshot or overhand technique:

1) It won't let you close the slide on an empty chamber by mistake.

2) It works the same way on every semi-automatic hangun one is likely to encounter, regardless of make or model. Most all semi autos also have slide locks, but they are not always in the same exact place, they don't always look the same, and they don't all take the same force to release.

2. Remove Ads

Slingshot unless my off hand is injured. Then I'd use the slide release.

When shooting on the range, it is always slingshot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I voted 'slide-release'......but I really do use and practice both. IMO both are necessary skills WRT auto-loaders.

I generally use the slide-release more often than slingshotting due to range restrictions at some of the ranges I have used. Some RSO's and rangemasters get grumpy after some doofus has screwed up on his/her range that day "slingshotting" and/or not being smart/safe earlier that day before I showed up.

I'll use both methods during firearm qualifications "just because".

I have an XD 45 and a CZ 75 P-01 9mm and the slide release is different. Now that I think about it, when I load up the first time, I usually use slide release, but when I shoot to slide lock, drop the mag and insert another, I often slingshot as it seams faster when I am in a hurry, such as an IDPA shoot. But I am new at it and may find a better way with practice.

different pistols

One of the reasons I was taught to reach over the top is that many different guns have different slide stop configurations and may be located in slight different locations. If you have to pick up a hangun you are not familar with, you can waste precious time looking for a slide stop. Better to reach over the top and rack, because that action will be the same for most all major caliber auto-loaders.

Distinguished Member
    Slingshot---Its just easier for me

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

If your handgun is set for it, feel free to use the 'slide release' method, but as stated before, it is a fine motor skill that will, without question, be lessened or disappear altogether under stress. I teach my students both ways while explaining the realities of them. I myself use the over the top of the slide method as it is reliable, works for every semi, and is a gross motor skill that is easily retained under stress and does not require a lot of repetitions to remember it.

Slingshot...mostly, and feels more natural, I guess, from habit...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I shoot right handed but have really short thumbs and cannot reach the mag release on any pistol; therefore I use my left hand to drop a mag, load a mag, and hit the slide release. It works best for me since I am already in the general area of the button.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Slingshot unless my left hand is busy

I really do both. Prob more slingshot though.

Have praticed both, But I get back in the fight quicker with slide release
    Be armed or be a victim

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    If there's a need to be discrete, say seated in a car and things are looking bad, and due to our ingraining from training, we want to press check right now, but discretely. I can put my gun between my legs, point it at the floor, and slingshot press check using my trigger finger to feel the round.
    Rob - I thought for sure you would have given your opinion about press checking a weapon!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    Do you slingshot or use your Slide Release?
    Slingshot, given its applicability across a wider range of situations and pistols. Am a lefty, as well, which may or may not affect things (given most pistols are configured for righties). Avoided over-the-top due to the hand covering the eject port.

Initial load of the first magazine into the gun is done with slide forward. Hence, there's no slide to drop. Slingshot (or similar) method of racking the slide is needed, at this point.

On my CZ P01 and Browning BDM pistols, the magazine can be dropped even with a round remaining in the chamber, requiring no additional dropping of the slide. Both have very large slide release levers, and both work well with the slingshot method.

If having shot the pistol dry, the CZ P01 reacts nicely to either swiping the slide release or slingshotting the slide to insert the first round from the new magazine. I rely upon slingshot.

However, having shot the Browning BDM dry, using the slide release to drop the slide results in the gun now being in "safe" mode, with the decocker/safety down. In this event, the safety must be flipped up in order to fire the next round. This silliness is why a lot of folks think the BDM a strange bird. Given that this was my first pistol owned for concealed carry, I learned both methods but rely upon the slingshot method given the risk of the other (on the BDM).

My pistols both have 14+ rounds. When I'm running a course of fire in IPSC/IDPA or similar, I find myself swapping magazines at 10-12 rds anyway, keeping the front sight on the target, then continuing fire. Avoids the whole needs to futz with the slide, decocker/safety, risk diluting the training by flip-flopping between multiple methods. Of course, this assumes I can count rounds during an encounter. Likely, I won't be able to.

Given the desire to train as I'll fight, the slingshot method seems to be the most reliable choice, for me and these two pistols. The last thing I want to happen is that I find myself puttering around with controls while getting poked full of holes. I'd much prefer to train and rely upon a solid method that works across various situations and applies to most every pistol.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    If there's a need to be discrete, say seated in a car and things are looking bad, and due to our ingraining from training, we want to press check right now, but discretely. I can put my gun between my legs, point it at the floor, and slingshot press check using my trigger finger to feel the round.
    Rob - I thought for sure you would have given your opinion about press checking a weapon!
    I'm confused? You quoted my post, but referred to Rob???

I presume my post has something to do with Rob's position on press checking or something???
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Tangle - I took one of Rob's classes earlier this year and he is not a fan of the press check. After he saw me press checking my weapon to make sure it was loaded, he emptied an entire clip out of my USPc by racking the slide repeatedly (illustrating how to ensure your weapon is loaded).
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links