Slingshot or Slide Release?

This is a discussion on Slingshot or Slide Release? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this on another forum and I thought it was a very interesting poll. Do you slingshot or use your Slide Release?...

View Poll Results: Do you Slingshot or Slide Release?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slingshot

109 69.43%
  • Slide Release

48 30.57%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slingshot or Slide Release?

I saw this on another forum and I thought it was a very interesting poll. Do you slingshot or use your Slide Release?

JD
    Administrator
    Mainly slingshot / over hand (pending on terminology), unless working on one handed drills. My thing is that since my off hand is all ready out there working the mag change I might as well use it and not risk fiddling with the slide release.

However, if I work realy hard on it, and practice a whole lot, I am a hair faster getting the gun back into play working the slide release, but faster is not always better.

Lead Moderator
    Slide release. Being LH'ed it is easy for me to hit the switch and is faster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Slingshoting seems to work for me just a little better.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

i use slingshot because its a larger movement & good habit to get into simply because if you need it in a high stress situation (aka your being shot at) then large movements are a LOT easier to do. You dont want to miss the slide release

I voted 'slide-release'......but I really do use and practice both. IMO both are necessary skills WRT auto-loaders.

I generally use the slide-release more often than slingshotting due to range restrictions at some of the ranges I have used. Some RSO's and rangemasters get grumpy after some doofus has screwed up on his/her range that day "slingshotting" and/or not being smart/safe earlier that day before I showed up.

I'll use both methods during firearm qualifications "just because".
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Being a South Paw I used to be big into sling shot due to focus and conditioning of gross motor skills.
    However the nice thing about constantly going to training and learning differn't techniques is you get to pick whats best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Slide release. Being LH'ed it is easy for me to hit the switch and is faster.
    However, if rocky is refering to the same technique taught at LFI for us South paws I agree with him 100%, or if you got something new I'm all ears.

I've been using this method in IDPA mathes for the last couple of months and found it much faster than a typical slingshot.

The techniqe is:

After your at slide lock and you have reached and your inserting your magazine into the gun.

Once the magazine is fully inserted into the gun, you squeeze your Right Hand (thats a lefties weakhand) Sometimes you have to slightly tilt the gun a little. When you squeeze your right hand one of fingers will release the slide catch on the left side of the gun.

Now you still have two hands on the gun.

You simple clap or almost roll your hands back together to re-establish a shooting grip.

I due believe that technique is 2X3 times faster doing a reload than slingshot and still utilizes gross motor skills. Due to squeezing your entire hand to release the slide stop rather than one digit (i.e. Finger or thumb). Its also fairly easy to master if your shooting a 1911 or a Glock. I have lost time missing the two fingers completetly trying to conduct a reload using slingshot. This equates to seconds off the clock.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Here comes my noobness, but can all semi autos sling shot? I was trying it out on my S&W sigma and it just wasn't working... the only way to re-engage the slide (thats prlly not the right word either) is to use the slide release. maybe i'm not doing it right. Help?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    I voted slingshot,but use both...more the slingshot though

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I guess I would say slide release.
    Although in reality, I 'squeeze cock' my HK P7 which releases the slide forward.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Here comes my noobness, but can all semi autos sling shot? I was trying it out on my S&W sigma and it just wasn't working... the only way to re-engage the slide (thats prlly not the right word either) is to use the slide release. maybe i'm not doing it right. Help?
    Any gun semi that locks the slide after the last shot can be sling shot recharged.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

pax
    Overhand.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Any gun semi that locks the slide after the last shot can be sling shot recharged.
    My new Ruger 22/45 MK3 will not release the slide by slingshotting, the only way to release the slide once it's in slide lock is to press the slide release button.

The slide release is not under spring tension, and has a detent holding it in position, be that position engaged or disengaged. You could pull back on the slide till the cows come home, it wouldn't work.

Before I bought this, I'd have agreed with you... and yeah, it bugs the heck out of me. Still, the thing eats everything I've tried to feed it so far, and is much more accurate than I am... I'll get used to using the slide release.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Lead Moderator
    cmidkiff, thanks. Guess I stand corrected. Most will slingshot , though.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The instructor at my gun safety class recommended using the "slingshot," or more specifically the overhand method of slide release. He cited the reason mentioned above: gross motions are easier to make than subtle ones.

However, the main reason I practice slingshot is because of my carry gun. Glocks, by default, have a lever designed to be more of a slide catch than a slide release. I don't feel like ordering an extended slide release lever for my glock, so slingshot it is!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links