Who here has been to Gunsite?

This is a discussion on Who here has been to Gunsite? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in your opinion of the training you received at Gunsite. In particular, the 5 day 250 Defensive Pistol course. It's a very major ...

Thread: Who here has been to Gunsite?

VIP Member

Who here has been to Gunsite?

I'm interested in your opinion of the training you received at Gunsite. In particular, the 5 day 250 Defensive Pistol course.

It's a very major expense for me should I be able to go and I though it best to ask around first.

Thanks in advance!
    Thumper
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

I attended the Gunsite 250 class in 2005. Spending a week at Gunsite was one of the most enjoyable vacations I’ve ever had, and a very worthwhile learning experience.

I don’t know how much defensive-shooting training or experience you’ve had, but regardless of skill level, this is a very worthwhile class. When I attended the class I had already been exposed to most of the material covered in the 250 Class, thanks to a very good local instructor who had once been a Gunsite provost instructor. Even though most of the material wasn’t new to me, it was a very good refresher for what I already knew and provided me with new material I hadn’t yet been exposed to. Several folks I’ve spoken with over the years, return to the 250 Class every few years for a refresher.

The class I was in was comprised of fifteen students ranging in skill level from novice to expert. The five instructors who taught the class were very good at adjusting to each individual student’s needs and taking the time to coach them whenever the need arose.

The first three days are spent on a square range running through Gunsite’s school drills. These start out slow and close and progress to faster and longer range. These first three days will give you a good grounding in basic technique. The evening of the third day, was devoted to low-light drills. The fourth and fifth days are devoted to clearing exercises that take place both in natural ravines and shoot houses. These exercises involve navigating unfamiliar territory with an instructor at your shoulder. As you run these exercises, the instructor will give you verbal cues and reply as an adversary or potential adversary would when you give verbal commands. The last part of the last day is devoted to a man-on-man shoot off with your classmates. I was lucky enough to win the shoot for my class.

I strongly suggest you check with Gunsite about local accommodations. There are several bead-and-breakfasts that work closely with Gunsite and generally have better rates than the local motels. Also, Gunsite has a very good campground with shower and laundry facilities and areas for both RVs and tents.

If you drive, you can bring your own ammo. If you fly, you may want to look into the ammo package that comes with their classes. I went through about 1,300 rounds when I was there.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

JD
    Administrator
    Check out "The Gunsite Blog" buy SixBravo.

VIP Member
    Awesome information!

Harold, that's just what I was looking for and JD, thanks for the link.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, maybe the spring of next year I can drive down there!

Thumper.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'd love to go, but a lot of money and travel.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yep, thanks for the link JD.

If anyone else finds this thread and is interested in lodgings or accomodations, let me know. I can reccomend some good places to stay around here if you're looking for hotels.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

They have a 250 and 350 class coming up in Sept. 08, that I keep thinking about. It would save money since I only have to travel once. First thing is to see if I can get that vacation block.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links