Front Sight Only?

This is a discussion on Front Sight Only? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody just use the front sight of your gun for defensive purposes? I tried it once a week or two ago at the range and ...

Thread: Front Sight Only?

Front Sight Only?

Anybody just use the front sight of your gun for defensive purposes? I tried it once a week or two ago at the range and my point of impact was higher than the point of aim using this technique. I was using a SP101 .357 Mag. A friend of mine was telling me of this technique. Not aligning your front and rear sight but just relying on your front sight.

Dave

2. Remove Ads

If you get used to catching the front sight first then align, with practice you will align automatically. In a stress situation you may only have time to see the front sight before having to fire. So align the front site with 'target' then fire.
    If you train this way you increase the probablity of 'hits'.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Anybody just use the front sight of your gun for defensive purposes? I tried it once a week or two ago at the range and my point of impact was higher than the point of aim using this technique. I was using a SP101 .357 Mag. A friend of mine was telling me of this technique. Not aligning your front and rear sight but just relying on your front sight.

Dave
    Cody, what distances were you shooting at?

Thumbs up

Cody, See "Sweatnbullets" above. Good information incoming!
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    Cody, what distances were you shooting at?
    The distance was 30' and I was approximately 3-1/2" high of point of aim using my P220. I thought during the shoot I was using the SP101 but it was in fact my P220.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    The distance was 30' and I was approximately 3-1/2" high of point of aim using my P220. I thought during the shoot I was using the SP101 but it was in fact my P220.

Dave
    Front sight only is known as an "alternative sighting method." In any alternative sighting method there is a certain limitation on where it can be used. Any time that you take away visual input on the gun there is a compromise that must be made. This compromise and the subsequent limitation must be explored in an incremental manner. It is best to explore this limitation in a "crawl, walk, run " manner.

I would suggest that you start exploring this concept at three yards to start with. When the hits are where you want them take a step back. Repeat this until you have found the true limitations of the concept. You can not find the true limitations until you have ingrained some sort of success, by starting up close and learning/refining your hand/eye coordination as you slowly move back.

As it stands, you went straight from being born..... to a full run.
    Last edited by Sweatnbullets; December 9th, 2007 at 10:17 PM.

Administrator
    I agree 100% with the above. Its a skill that needs developed and maintained. Once you got it down though, you will wonder why anyone would want to take the time to line up the sights etc. for combat shooting.
    It will be even more valueable with guns like your SP101.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree 100% with the above. Its a skill that needs developed and maintained. Once you got it down though, you will wonder why anyone would want to take the time to line up the sights etc. for combat shooting.
    It will be even more valueable with guns like your SP101.
    What is really nice about "front sight only" is that it is just as accurate with focus on the gun as it is with focus on the threat. This is a beautiful skill set, because it works for both situations. It is there when you can get to the sights and it is there when you can not get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    As it stands, you went straight from being born..... to a full run.

Thanks for sound advice. I will follow up on this practice the next time I go to the range. It certainly makes sense to use trial and error to see how tuned in your chosen weapon is cause I am certain that different weapons will have different limitations/parimeters...

Thanks again...

Dave

Links