Train with cheap .40cal, carry premium 9mm ?

This is a discussion on Train with cheap .40cal, carry premium 9mm ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, I am a firm believer in training with what you carry - however - the majority of my rounds downrange are 9mm WWB/Blazer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train with cheap .40cal, carry premium 9mm ?

Train with cheap .40cal, carry premium 9mm ?

Hi folks,

I am a firm believer in training with what you carry - however - the majority of my rounds downrange are 9mm WWB/Blazer rather than Pow'rball (which I carry) due to the cost of premium ammunition.

So let's say I purchased an M&P40c as a 'training equivilent' of my M&P9c CCW, and then shot cheap(er) .40cal ball at the range to approximate the recoil management of shooting premium 9mm ammunition. Maybe you could benefit from reduced ammunition costs while still replicating the effects of shooting premium 9mm ?

At the moment, I shoot several boxes of 9mm ball, followed by one magazine of premium; they are so different that it sometimes makes me question the value of cheap ball for training.

Opinions on calibre aside - does anyone do this already ?

Cheers,

SDS

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome aboard.

For me - wouldn't mix cals like that - tho I can see why you want to. I can't in truth see a ''hot'' 9 being duplicated by a .40 - different animals.

I do indeed feel that it's better to train with what you carry - tho a discrepancy in performance between two types of ammo is not desirable. However, training is also overall gun useage, fluency and overall skill level and so in extremeis I wonder whether the premium stuff would really put you off greatly.

I carry +P 124 GD's in my 226 but practice with about anything, even homeloads (std pressure). The difference is small to me - must been those PowRballs are potent!! I wonder if you can find some +P FMJ's to practice with, without being too spendy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Just start reloading. Reloading doesn't save you anymore money than it would have if you outright went to buy stuff from Wally world. What it does allow you to do is pull the trigger about 2.5 times more, and design your loads to semi equal out your carry loads. PS After a while when you really break in your gun, and you have practiced with it alot it might not make that Huge of a difference whether something is +p or not.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydivesnake View Post
    Maybe you could benefit from reduced ammunition costs while still replicating the effects of shooting premium 9mm ?
    Premium 9mm does NOT have to be +P. Many of the best rounds out there are standard pressure 147gr, which have no more recoil than your 9mm range ammo.

So the better answer is: shoot 9mm FMJ; carry standard pressure premium 9mm HPs. No need for multiple calibers, or other shenanigans.

Shucks, I went the other way. I put a 9mm conversion barrel in my .40s and shoot hot 9mm handloads. It's literally half the cost and the recoil is similar; I shoot between 300 and 600 rounds a week during competition season, so this is a real savings for me!

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

JD
    Administrator
    There's such a thing as "cheap" .40 ammo?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    There's such a thing as "cheap" .40 ammo?
    $23/100 isn't cheap in my book... cheapest available now, maybe - but not cheap. Cases of 9mm for $80, now THAT was cheap - and I wish I got in on it back in the day.

Everyone's missing the real point here!

This is an OUTSTANDING excuse to buy a new gun.....

Absolute genius!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Everyone's missing the real point here!

This is an OUTSTANDING excuse to buy a new gun.....

Absolute genius!
    Dear Genius I agree with you 100%.
    So can you buy me a gun for XMAS?

Iím relatively new to this forum, but welcome.

Itís been my experience that when youíre faced with a situation requiring you to draw your firearm, your adrenalin is pumping so hard that if you should have to shoot, you wonít ever feel recoil.

So I practice with standard cheep Wal-Mart 9mm and carry +P, hollow point premium.

But, I will tell you that state, and federal agencies practice with the loads they carry in their guns.

So there has to be something to it.

I believe in training with what you carry. Just burning rounds down range is fine, and gets different techniques perfected, before trying them with the high dollar stuff.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I found some +P 9mm FMJ, which is 1250 fps. This is the same power that I carry in a hollow point. This is NATO police issue ammo.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...18%7C606%7C608

Thanks folks ! The +P FMJ might be just the ticket - 1000rnd case price is excellent.

I did seriously consider handloading to match a commercial HP - unfortunately I'm somewhat short on time since the arrival of my baby boy; that would be an ideal solution - maybe something to reconsider again in a couple of years time.

Great forum btw.

Cheers,

SDS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    But, I will tell you that state, and federal agencies practice with the loads they carry in their guns.

So there has to be something to it.
    Getting a slight bit OT, but this is not necessarily true. My federal agency uses 124gr Hydra-Shok as duty ammo, and uses 124gr "NATO Ball" (straight from Letterkenny) as practice ammo. We qualify with duty ammo, but our drills and such are done with the FMJ. The DEA (at least in my experience) does the same - issues premium HP, but trains with similar FMJ - as do other federal and local/state departments/agencies.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The Winders ammo (Federal FXML9N1) runs $208 for a case of 1000. It's NATO Spec FMJ, 1250 fps, which puts it into the +P range, although there is no +P marking on the box.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...18%7C606%7C608

This is 2006 manufactured surplus ammo Made in the USA by Federal for the Taiwan 'National Police Association', thus the 'NPA 06' markings.

I've shot a lot of this ammo over the summer and I can't tell the difference between it and the Gold Dot +P, which is rated at 1220 fps. It's also very accurate, and has a lead free primer.
    Last edited by blueridge; December 24th, 2007 at 11:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links