Shooting one handed

Shooting one handed

This is a discussion on Shooting one handed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over this past summer I began to practice more at the range shooting one handed with both my strong hand and my weak hand. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting one handed

Shooting one handed

Over this past summer I began to practice more at the range shooting one handed with both my strong hand and my weak hand. I believe learning to shoot accurately and quickly using one hand as opposed to two offers more benefits in a real world scenario. I found this article:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/tactic...407/index.html

that also discusses this. Check this out and open the floor to discussions, please.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - bottom line to me is - we MUST gain adequate function - with either hand.

All my bullseye shooting back in the dark ages makes strong hand shooting quite reasonable but weak hand ... another matter! I need to concentrate on that even more - it is better but needs to be better still.

We just never know how we might suffer a strong hand injury - and so have to use weak - plus too, very important - reaching and drawing strong side with weak. Not so easy!

Training with both is essential IMO - not to be over looked at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Agreed, one handed shooting is a very important skill set. I might even go far enough to say its more important than two handed. I despise shooting with my off hand, but I still do 'cause its so important.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry at the 3 or 4 o'clock position. In the 4, I can reach my left hand across my back and draw the weapon that way. It's very tough to do it behind the back in the 3 o'clock position. I have to reach across my front to access it that way.

I was pleased that I hit the vital areas on the targets with my weak hand last time out. However, that was just a stationery target and not moving, and I wasn't faced with the elements, or other adverse conditions. I don't really have anywhere I can go train that way outdoors, and that's a big disadvantage.

I practice more with the weak hand now than before. I've gotten used to the idea that my weak hand cants the pistol since I need to cross it in line with my dominant eye. Next step would be weak hand, weak eye. I know it's going to be hard. I'm a both eyes open shooter anyway, but don't know about being crossed-eyed.

Weak hand drills are a part of every range session.....as well as strong hand handling.

Like SIXTO said....it's that important.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Moderator
    I am ambidextrous.
    I don't really have a weak hand. I am right eye dominate though, so I mostly shoot with the right hand.

Even so...I practice alot one handed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Practicing weak side is on my list.

VIP Member
    Wasn't it a wake up call the first time you tried to shoot with your weak hand?

I couldn't believe how bad a shot I was... and I'm still not much better!

Practice practice practice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Just like all the other things that CAN happen when you're not expecting it to, being injured CAN happen...learning to shoot better 'weak side' is something that I know I need to do more of...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've found with my students, and myself included, generally they are pretty good about getting the bullet on paper with their weak hand. Technique might not be pretty, but they get it where it needs to be. When they are all done shooting weak handed, I ask them what they observed from that? Why was it that they did better than what they thought they would? Concentration! They have to concentrate harder when shooting weak handed.

As stated by others, it has got to be a part of your regular training routine!!!

Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed, one handed shooting is a very important skill set. I might even go far enough to say its more important than two handed. I despise shooting with my off hand, but I still do 'cause its so important.
    +1. I primarily use one handed shooting from 15 yards and in. I got really proficient with it when I was working a patrol dog and had my other hand tied to the dog. With support hand I am less proficient at, but it's on my practice list at every range session.

I have found that pulling your palm flat non-gun hand into your sternum as you extend your gun hand creates real good isometric tension and helps steady the gun. A slight cant of your gun hand towards your centerline makes one handed shooting feel a little more natural. Having a good ready position like "Sul" is a big plus for one handed tactics.

This is a great article - Jennifer was the 2005 Police Officer of the Year and I use her one handed shooting example in my training sessions a lot.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

while i didn't read the entire g&a article, i will definitely agree practicing with both hands is crucial. in fact, my last range session, i'd say about a third of it was dedicated to alternating hands in one-handed shooting drills, and i learned a LOT about my capabilities with my weak hand

Senior Moderator
    A while back I was at the range and I was shooting weak handed. One of the club members there that frequents the range alot asked me why I was doing that, since it wouldn't be as accurate. I told him that I thought it was important to be able to draw and fire with the off hand, I mean, why be only to use one arm well to shoot when you've got two ?

In our police requals, most everyone has a hard time when it comes to off hand shooting,simply because they don't practice. It does take concentration. It is the major point dropper when shooting for a qualification score. Guys that shoot pretty fair on the rest of it, drop lots of points when it comes to shooting off hand.

We had a range session where our training officer really stressed off hand shooting, in fact that was all we did. We had some classroom time at first, and lot of actual shooting scenarios were studied. I forget the exact amount, but in gunfights there were a surprising amount of incidents where a shooter got shot in his gun hand, making it useless for further shooting.

It seems that we automatically focus on the threat, and we actually target it without conscious thought. I've seen this in IDPA shoots where a a printed target with a gun pointing at you has a lot of holes in the gun and in the arm.

So I got to thinking...
    YES it is very important to be able to shoot with the off hand. If you think about it, IF you have to shoot with it, you are in a world of hurt, meaning that you are injured, in pain,someone is trying to kill you and they nearly succeeded in their goal. I was like everyone else at first, and kinda begrudged the fact that I had to do it. After that eye opening session in class, I "woke up" and realized that it was a serious part of the arsenal of tools that one uses to stay alive.

I went from practicing the off hand because" I had to", to practicing with the intent of staying alive, because if one has to transition from the strong hand to the weak hand, things are already ugly.

That changed up my routine of training considerably.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed, one handed shooting is a very important skill set. I might even go far enough to say its more important than two handed.
    Agreed.

I eat with either hand, drive with either hand, open doors with either hand, and live with either hand which includes fighting and shooting to survive.
    A one handed fighter is handicapped and the last thing I'd want to do is give the guy whos trying to hurt me a handicap chance.

I'm right handed but through training and lots and lots of practice can shoot equally well with either hand left or right be it one hand grip or two, combat or bullseye.
    Left hand is most accurate for slow/bullseye fire and the right is quickest toward draw.

I train and shoot with either eye too as in a fight sometime one might find themselves blinded by sweat, or your own blood.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links