Completed CCW Class

Completed CCW Class

This is a discussion on Completed CCW Class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I attended a concealed carry class. I was surprised how many amatuer shooters were there. One lady says " I've never even shot a gun". ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Completed CCW Class

I attended a concealed carry class. I was surprised how many amatuer shooters were there. One lady says " I've never even shot a gun". Two other guys ask "can we rent guns... we don't have any".
    I ask myself... should the standards be raised?
    I have been shooting since I was 6 years old and pistols since I was 18 years old. I feel confident in being able to control a weapon. Should people be required to attend training before licensed? I could have qualified with my eyes closed... the target is huge.

No. Every law abiding citizen has the right to keep and bear arms...and thus, to CCW.

Once you start mandating standards in order to get a CCW license, you begin to infringe upon those rights.

Should a CHL holder learn how to shoot first? Yes, they should. They would be stupid not too. But it should not be a requirement.

Lead Moderator
    Requirement? No, good idea, yes. I consider the CCW class as the first step, continued training is very valuable and should be sought be those serious about carrying a weapon daily.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by gbryant View Post
    I attended a concealed carry class. I was surprised how many amatuer shooters were there. One lady says " I've never even shot a gun". Two other guys ask "can we rent guns... we don't have any".
    I ask myself... should the standards be raised?
    I have been shooting since I was 6 years old and pistols since I was 18 years old. I feel confident in being able to control a weapon. Should people be required to attend training before licensed? I could have qualified with my eyes closed... the target is huge.
    Kind of an 'eye-opener' aint it? Some of us--you, me, and others on this forum, thankfully take things a bit more seriously when it comes to those issues. Just remember--these people walk the same streets we do. A bit unnerving? Possibly--just store all of the facts in the back of your mind for now, and either educate, or distance yourself from those you've mentioned. Congratulations on your move to obtaining your permit. Good luck and be safe.

VIP Member
    I felt the same about my class. An old man next to me scared the daylights out of me. It is scarey to see the people that have never shot a gun before. But, Not all people that have a permit carry all the time. I know 5 people with permits and none of them carry except while traveling and even then they leave it in the console ( go figure ). I personally don't know anyone that carrys.
    I do think they should offer more training during the course. I walked out of my class thinking " That was it"?? Now I can carry a gun?? The instructor before class said " No one has failed my class yet and we're not gonna start today". She gave us the answers. I know alot on here think that's just fine, we've been down this road before, but I do feel more should be done during the class to make people aware of just how serious of an issue it is to carry a gun. The instructor never said " I recommend you all get more training". The fact is, the vast majority of people aren't going to get anymore training after the class. I've signed up for a tactical course, I shoot every 2-3 weeks and take it very seriously, but I took it upon myself to do that. Atleast the intructors could push the extra training and shoot often issue.

I doubt the conceal carry class covers the basics of firearms safety, hopefully the instructor made an exception for these students. As long as they are safe in handling and respect the firearms I see no problem with it. I would recommend that they take further training courses to become proficient with firearms.

If you think that is scarry, watch a group of LEO's qualify. Being a 5th generation Marine I was tought to shoot before I was tought to ride a bicycle. Its just plain scarry what some consider good shootin'.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Administrator
    I think the majority of pistol toters dont know what the heck they are doing. Give me a group of 100 permit holders, I'll bet no more than 7 truly know what they are doing. I will also bet that 99 think they know what they are doing.
    The ccw classes are not training. To many people think that it is, but it is far from it. I think people need to take it on themselves to get some professional training before they put themselves, me and everyone else at risk.
    Being taught by grandpa how to shoot holes in paper is not training. It might be on the very basic level, but it is not suitable for pistol fighting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    I will also bet that 99 think they know what they are doing.
    "Those who do not know what they do not know."

I have never met anyone (even life long shooters) inside of their first professional instruction, that was not simply amazed and astounded on how little they actually knew.

I do not care if you train with me......but get some training!

Yes... more training is necessary. I am lucky to have an indoor range about 10 minutes from my house, so I shoot several times a week.
    I want training on a 'combat' (?) course. So that I can attempt to be ready for anything that might happen.

BTW... I am new to this forum... I really enjoy the discussion.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Im with everyone else, so I won't bother repeating it all. But my CCW class for Arizona? Yeah, right. I took mine when I did my 250 Pistol class at Gunsite. Not only did everyone in the class know how to shoot, we had to go through killhouses and outdoor simulations just to pass the course. Do I think that should be required? No. Does it give me a lot of faith in the carry abilities of the people in my class? You bet your tail.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    "Those who do not know what they do not know."

I have never met anyone (even life long shooters) inside of their first professional instruction, that was not simply amazed and astounded on how little they actually knew.

I do not care if you train with me......but get some training!
    Exactly my point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I took my CC class about 7 years ago and out of the 12 people in the class I would bet that no more than two were already qualified to carry a gun. Those two, including myself, were military retirees - the remainder were mostly businessmen, several of which didn't even own a firearm. The class consisted of two hours of instruction by a member of the penal system and a written test. No firearms were allowed and there were no qualification requirements. Everyone has the constitutional right to carry and defend themselves but I sure wish there were someway to encourage them to learn what they are doing.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I agree that the more training one receives the better. Everyone should seek to increase their skill set no matter their current level of expertise. And I am one of the 93 out of a hundred that is completely clueless.

However, shooting a gun is very easy. Some make it out to be some complex series of precise skills, manipulating a myriad of controls. The fact is that driving a car is far more difficult than accurately firing a gun and any teenager can learn to drive with less instruction than a typical CCW class. My camera is more difficult to point and shoot and has far more buttons and settings than any handgun.

Let's face it. Most self defense shootings occur at a range of no more than five to seven yards. Maybe putting five shots into the ten ring is not an easily developed skill, but putting five in COM is hardly challenging. Further, I have never read a single report of a self defense shooter to be wildly putting holes in random bystanders. In fact, [trained] police miss their intended target at an astounding percentage.

So, no, I don't think kill houses and sophisticated tactical training is necessary for any typical self defense scenario.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I agree that the more training one receives the better. Everyone should seek to increase their skill set no matter their current level of expertise. And I am one of the 93 out of a hundred that is completely clueless.

However, shooting a gun is very easy. Some make it out to be some complex series of precise skills, manipulating a myriad of controls. The fact is that driving a car is far more difficult than accurately firing a gun and any teenager can learn to drive with less instruction than a typical CCW class. My camera is more difficult to point and shoot and has far more buttons and settings than any handgun.

Let's face it. Most self defense shootings occur at a range of no more than five to seven yards. Maybe putting five shots into the ten ring is not an easily developed skill, but putting five in COM is hardly challenging. Further, I have never read a single report of a self defense shooter to be wildly putting holes in random bystanders. In fact, [trained] police miss their intended target at an astounding percentage.

So, no, I don't think kill houses and sophisticated tactical training is necessary for any typical self defense scenario.
    Ah ha... and here we have a perfect case in point... Yes, shooting a gun is easy. But shooting a gun is a very small percentage of the total self preservation package. You need to be fairly well rounded in order to survive the before, during and after. Yes, I can teach a retarded chimp to kill a paper target at 7 yds, anyone can.
    What might be more of a challenge is learning to avoid the shoot in the first place, use all of the tools available and survive the aftermath. That is what its all about- its hardly as simple as sight picture and squeeze.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links