If these draw and fire times are factual, then I'm slow as molasses - Page 2

If these draw and fire times are factual, then I'm slow as molasses

This is a discussion on If these draw and fire times are factual, then I'm slow as molasses within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also read the article and was a bit surprised by the listed draw times. I am almost positive this was done from duty rigs ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If these draw and fire times are factual, then I'm slow as molasses

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I also read the article and was a bit surprised by the listed draw times. I am almost positive this was done from duty rigs because the point of the article was safeties on Glocks and the fact that they don't affect draw and fire times.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Red face

[QUOTE=Tangle]I was a little curious about the phrase, "...weak hand up and out at chest level...". If I understand this correctly, if the weak hand is up and out at chest level, wouldn't that put the support hand in front of the gun and introduce the possibility of the muzzle sweeping the support hand?

Should have been clearer about this, sorry. The support hand is "palm"out, about chest level, just foward of and ouside the support side shoulder.
    Picture standing bladed to the target and raising your hand [ss]from the elbow
    to a position similar to "stop!"[or How as in cowboys and indians]. If the SHTF
    and the decision is made to go to guns, just roll the hand inward while pulling in to chest or abdomen. [ sort of a reverse "Hail Ceasar " move] From the interview position you are keeping the weapon shielded from the "threat", while being able to thrust out W/ the ss hand if needed to block or push. If the weapon is used, it is fired strong hand only as you rotate on target just above the holster. Close contact retention.
    With practice it is very fast, bad breath to 5yds. I hope I'm clearing it up, but I have a mind/keyboard problem
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Assistant Administrator
    Subahaba - that for me xplains very well. Thx.

Somehow doubt I've said Hi! Welcome
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874
    I am almost positive this was done from duty rigs because the point of the article was safeties on Glocks and the fact that they don't affect draw and fire times.
    "When you can snatch this doughnut from my hand, without exploding the jelly center, Grasshopper, then you will be ready to learn the Ayoob draw.....!"

Talking

"When you can snatch this doughnut from my hand". I may not be able to deploy my pistol quickly, but that doughnut and all evidence are gone so fast you won't know the condition of the center. Want to see me do it again?
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Mas has been digging himself deeper and deeper, lately. As I recall, Dave Spaulding said that 1.0-1.25 was extremely respectable, from concealment(which I can buy- very unscientifically, I can sweep-n-draw to a 1.15, with the blood pumping). Folks making >0.5 secs (from a duty holster, or a speed-rig? )are spending more time on the range than writing reports or responding to calls. I really doubt Mas had one of his "average" cop buddies do it, if it was actually done, and if it wasn't done on "Area 51", against the zombie hordes .

But who am I to say, I'd still like to take an LFI course.....

Well, I used to shoot w/ Dave Spaulding before I moved south, and knew him pretty well. He is the real deal and can shoot the pants off of most of the guys that I've ever seen set foot on a range. He's a GREAT instructor and has spent an entire career (full time, btw) dealing with real world bad guys. His opinions tend to be well thought out and grounded in reality. I trust his judgement.
    I'll withhold any comment about the other guy in question...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links