Defensive Carry banner

Hand to Hand Training

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  BushidoMarine 
#1 ·
Ok guys after watching some of those caught on video type shows......and after something I witnessed this New Years Eve, I have decided I need to take a hand to hand type class.....

I don’t want to study a formal martial art.....I want to learn to fight off an attacker long enough to run away or employ my firearm....

I think I have been foolish to believe my weapons training was enough and I want to be prepared for the fight and I know it wont go down the way I have pictured it.......

I was looking for some kind of seminar or class I could take and learn some good hand to hand techniques and defense.......

What do you guys recommend and are there any classes like this over our way in Southwest Virginia.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I do not think you are going to learn this in a weekend class. It requires practice to the point of proficiency and then some.

My son and I just started a Krav Maga class. I am quite impressed so far. You might want to look into seeing if there is one in your area. Google it as there may be a local instructor near by that is not listed on the national website.

http://www.kravmaga.com

#4 ·
I do not think you are going to learn this in a weekend class. It requires practice to the point of proficiency and then some.
Agreed... I think you should at least consider training in a martial art. You need something that will force repetition on you to make it second nature.

#8 ·
agreed!

JCook5003, there have been at least two or three threads on this topic in recent weeks in the "tactical training" forum and in the "knives and other weapons" forum, do a search for "martial arts," "hand to hand," etc. and see what you can find.

#6 ·
Look for a weapons retention teacher. Ask the local PD who they use. The guy up here teaches you how to hold onto your weapon by defending off attacks. I thought it was just going to be useful against gun grabs, but it pretty much teaches you how to fend off an attacker, whether or not he is going for your gun.

#7 ·
Fending of an attacker and fighting are 2 different things. There is no replacement for experience. Every martial art form can give you the tools to be effective. Using them proficiently during an altercation is the hard part. Even a lot of the self defense type dvds can provide you with the tools, if you pick through them. Buy a heavy bag and hit it. Use your elbows and knees... a lot. It won't prepare you for the worst but it will give you something. Weapon retention classes are very useful but it's just a start.

#10 ·
Several months ago I began offering a one hour training session for several of my students to drill into them base skills always looking for the moment to progress them into ballistic training. This took two months to were these students broke away from “drills” and began adapting to where they really began to react without thinking so much then to think which at times leads into “I did it wrong” and stop. My point is to reinforce what has been said already; you cannot learn this simply taking a class or two but instead must practice regularly. If you fail to practice then expect to have things fall apart on the street more so than if you practice. Watch highly trained athletics who you know are capable of incredible techniques but fall apart while competing. This is no different than skills being discussed in this thread.

What I like to have my students do is adapt as they see fit. For instance, go with the attackers flow then fight against it if possible. Do not learn techniques without dissecting them; understand the concepts and principles behind them rather than just using them. Enter into flow drill out of the normal sequence. Although I teach I still seek more training myself and look to teachers who believe as I just mentioned.

Seek out training, interview the instructor if possible and by all means get yourself a regular training partner and train.

If you carry a gun you should have skills to defend it.

If you do not carry a gun you need empty hand skills to defend yourself.

#11 ·
Kevin is right on the money. When it becomes :gah: time, you WILL NOT rise to the occasion with barely practiced techniques; you WILL default to whatever techniques you have practiced hundreds/thousands of times. That is why all martials arts (the ones that are worth a damn, anyway) repeatedly train techniques over and over; to build muscle memory so your response is AUTOMATIC and instantaneous.

A brief program can be a good start, but hand to hand skills (Timing, focus, flow, combinations, fighting range, physical fitness, etc) are perishable, so practice is the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.