Which air pistol?

Which air pistol?

This is a discussion on Which air pistol? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the midst of setting up a backstop in the basement to allow air pistol firing. I have the backstop materials, the question ...

Thread: Which air pistol?

Question Which air pistol?

I am in the midst of setting up a backstop in the basement to allow air pistol firing. I have the backstop materials, the question is this--what is a good, reasonably priced CO2 air pistol?

there are many that are replicas of real guns.
    if there is one of a gun you have- your carry gun if you have one?
    that would be the best.
    if not, im not sure.
    welcome BTW

Administrator
    I recently bought a Crosman 357 for this very purpose... Its been a lot of fun. It isnt the highest of quality, but for under 50 bucks it knocks down tin cans just fine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Check out the Gamo line of pistols.
    GAMO USA - Adult precision airguns, ammunitions, accesories and optics
    I was at a sporting goods store last week and saw that CO2 Airsofts are now being sold, which would be ideal for indoor practice.

jgp
    I have a Gamo rifle and love it. I brought home a PT-80 pistol and hated it so much I took it back the next day. The trigger was so heavy and gritty and long, and when it finally broke I couldn't help but jerk to the right. Couldn't keep the thing on point of aim no matter what I did. Too many plastic parts. Felt cheap. But was expensive. For the price I paid I guess I expected more.

Administrator
    I havent heard anything good about the Gamo pistols, considering the cost of them. There is a couple of good airgun sites around with customer reviews, the more expensive ones dont really rate any higher than the cheaper crosmans/daisys etc, unless you get into the high end guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

An air pistol is really something I should look into for basement practice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

CO2 air soft semi auto (if that is what you carry) and as close to your carry as possible (grip), and get an identical holster to your carry.

Crossman has a good line of 1:1 replicas. There are several other brands out there, just a matter of what you want to pay ($20 - $200). Sporting good shops and hobby shops.

I picked up a Baretta (sp) replica (C77 - 400fps) at Sportsmans Warehouse for $35, 600 glow in the dark 6mm BBs, and 5 CO2 cartridges for under $50 - I picked up a couple of other things. I get about 300 shots per CO2 cartridge. The grip is close to my BE, and made a holster to match my carry.

I will shoot through a CO2 cartridge, then spend 1/2 an hour with my carry and a snap cap doing the same drills.

My backstop is a tightly woven thin blanket folded over a 2x2 with three silhouette targets pinned to it, and a thick bath towel underneath to catch the rounds as they fall (so they don't go rolling everywhere)
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by johnc522 View Post
    I am in the midst of setting up a backstop in the basement to allow air pistol firing. I have the backstop materials, the question is this--what is a good, reasonably priced CO2 air pistol?
    If you just going to be target shooting, I'd recommend you look into airsoft pistols. I have a couple that are VERY realistic and use "green gas". Cheaper than CO2 and the projectiles are cheaper than pellets. No lead dust issue, either. All of the realistic CO2 pistols I've seen have been cheap junk. Airsofts can be had with metal slides and my G26 even has the happy, fun full auto switch on the left side. Not realistic, but... Same weight, operation and "feel" as my real G26.

Plus, if you ever get into it, airsoft can be used for force on force training and, while they won't break skin like a lead pellet would, they still put a hurtin' on if you get hit. Always wear proper protection.

Here's a video (not mine) of the KWA G26 I mentioned above.

YouTube - KWA Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Crossman makes good air rifles/pistols. Check them out. I take the rifle out back to plink cans when I get bored. Its good fun and good practice. Haven't had an issue yet.

Links