Thumbs forward - why? - Page 2

Thumbs forward - why?

This is a discussion on Thumbs forward - why? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i shoot with both fwd as i was taught. as my main gun is a 1911 style, my right thumb is on top of the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thumbs forward - why?

i shoot with both fwd as i was taught.
    as my main gun is a 1911 style, my right thumb is on top of the safety with my left thumb under it, both pointing fwd. this is the most comfortable and consistent way, especially for a 1911.
    with non 1911 platforms i still think this is the best way, at least for me. if i cross my thumbs i tend to put more pressure on one side than another and dont shoot as consistently.
    if you can shoot great the way you do it, then do it that way

I think this is the roll over wrist lock from Fist Fire.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Just be careful to keep your thumbs down. I've been bit by the slide before.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Fascinating. I'm finding that when I move my weak hand up on the grip to get more flesh-to-grip contact and place/point my left thumb as demonstrated puts my back sigh slightly too low naturally. I have to bring the rear end up a tiny bit to align my sights correctly.

Is this just something I need to get used to or work through? Or does it have anything to do with the angle of the Beretta 92 grip?
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    After playing with the thumbs forward a bit I have decided to stay with the thumbs down.
    To me it feel more natural and will work with any gun..from a .32 Seecamp on up.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Temkin View Post
    After playing with the thumbs forward a bit I have decided to stay with the thumbs down.
    To me it feel more natural and will work with any gun..from a .32 Seecamp on up.
    +1

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I have tried both techniques, mainly switched to thumbs foward because "the pros use this" this is what I have found out, My follow up shots are quicker, tighter, exception being with my tuarus 92af, yeah what ever, i know thats a beacon for flames if ever there was one, but I like the taurus, for the price, not that I would carry it but its a good solid pistol for the range, but back on target for some reason i shoot the taurus better thumb over thumb, if I ever figure out why Ill let you know.

Arrrrrgh

You guys are killin' me.

Conceal & no print, but not impossible to get to
    Practice
    SA
    Decision loop
    Practice, practice
    Draw and fire accurately 1st round in 1.5 seconds (21ft)
    Shoot till the threat is gone
    COM shots (no brainer)
    Point shooting
    Practice, practice, practice
    Focus on the front sight
    I am male so I will more than likely have more than one target at different positions
    Minimum of two rounds per target
    Step back at a 45, not straight
    Be aware of possible cover
    Practice, practice, practice
    911 loop
    Find a defense lawyer

And now, strong thumb over weak, pointing forward (I think I have been doing this all along, will find out today)

Did I miss anything?

Another great link, thanks!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Did I miss anything?
    Throw in a tactical reload, then grab a flashlight and do it all over again in the dark!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Throw in a tactical reload, then grab a flashlight and do it all over again in the dark!
    off topic, but true!

I started using the thumbs-forward grip and got the most consistent grip and the most consistent groups instead of patterns. I never had a problem with it biting my hands. The only time I got bit was the first match I was in when I had to switch hands and forgot which thumb was supposed to be around the backstrap. That was messed up operational procedure, not bad operational procedure. Notice how far forward my left/support wrist is rotated, that's a major factor in the consistency and support of this grip style.
    1911:

Beretta 96D:

Beretta PX4:

Also, Mr. Jarrett's video has some great tips, not just on grip, but overall stance. Keeping your head up, your weight over your feet and your feet in the proper position and your weight on the balls of your feet instead of your heels, et c. are quite important to consistency along with proper grip. Not to mention he's a fellow Virginian.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

OK, I've been doing this all along. Not quite 100% of what was described, but doing it just the same. Time for some live fire testing.

I am handicapped by big hands and a low profile weapon. My biggest concern is pressure on the slide release. Both thumbs touch it, that and the darn slide mounted safety.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Thanks, Troy Price. I do shoot Weaver, and that might explain my habit. Still, the close-up photos give the impression that some part of one's hand might contact the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by FRT007 View Post
    Thanks, Troy Price. I do shoot Weaver, and that might explain my habit. Still, the close-up photos give the impression that some part of one's hand might contact the slide.
    Glad I could help in some small way.

As for the hand touching the slide? Yes and no. The hand is mostly in contact with the grip and the frame. I have students that try to crush their grip and sometimes the upper meaty part of the support hand thumb is near the slide but I haven't seen someone cause a malfunction from it. If you hand winds up on the slide your support hand grip angle may not be the best.

Try this: clap your hands with your arms out in front of you, and away from your body, several times. Look at how your hands come together and how your thumbs end up.

I end up with my thumbs forward. How about you?
    WrongWheelDrive likes this.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Sponsor
    Do you thumbs forward guys and gals also use the thumb forward when one handed shooting?

If not, you're stating you have two separate hand holds, one for one handed and one for two handed shooting?

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links