Thumbs forward - why?

This is a discussion on Thumbs forward - why? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor Ive become a firm believer in the saying: Its a way not the way. The phrase means there are several ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thumbs forward - why?

Quote Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post
    Ive become a firm believer in the saying: Its a way not the way. The phrase means there are several acceptable ways to perform a technique, not just one right way. This is the first thing I learned at Blackwater as an Instructor. Of course there are wrong ways, but some instructors get hung up on one acceptable method and fail to recognize alternative styles that still accomplish the objective.
    You said it. Each shooter must develop a method that works for them. If it doesn't work for you, you aren't going to practice it and you'll never use it. I was taught thumbs forward, which works for me but I also do something that not as many people do. I wrap my left index finger over the trigger guard to give me added stability in a two handed grip. It keeps me from pulling or pushing at that last moment and from going into a death grip, and for me its very comfortable. When teaching we try to show many different styles and have the students try those so that they can find out what works for them. I find most people don't use the style that I use, but they do tend to do better with the thumbs forward. Its like pointing your foot when throwing a ball, it helps you get the direction down. Anyways, just my opinion.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛAB

2. Remove Ads

I always shot "Thumbs Down" as that's what I was taught almost thirty years ago, as a kid.

I still shoot revolvers a lot, and "Thumbs Forward" is not a good idea when shooting a revolver. However, last year I went to F.L.E.T.C. with an open mind. I was told that I could use whatever "grip" worked for me and decided to learn the "New Way".

One of the Instructors took the time to work with me and now I shoot thumbs forward when I'm holding a "bottomfeeder". I find it works much better for shooting a 1911, and I may go back to carrying a 1911 again. As some of you know, I don't carry a 1911 because I failed to take the safety off one night when I should've. I don't think this would've been an issue if I had been using a High-Thumb position.

The only problem I have now is 30 years of "Weaver Stance". That same Instructor was kicking my foot as I was shooting to get me to move it to where it belonged. I find myself "bladed" a lot and find the Weaver to work well for me when I'm shooting a revolver.

For me it's become simple. Round grip equals Weaver and Thumbs Down. Square grip equals Iso and Hi-Thumbs.

Biker

Thumbs Forward hangup

I recently (today) changed over from the thumbs-over weaver grip to thumbs forward. It all felt good, and I could engage a LOT faster, but all my shots where down in a tight little group in the low left 'flinch zone'. I can put them all center with thumbs-over. What am I screwing up? Obviously this is very subjective, and short of having you lot drive out here and watch me shoot, you won't know exactly where I am going wrong, but maybe some pointers are in order?

I will submit that you may be flinching now. Your previous grip may have hidden the flinch but not it is becoming evident. Try the following when you shoot.

Use a smooth, even, press, straight to the rear while focusing exclusively on the front sight. Don't try to overdrive the trigger. Let the gun shoot when it is ready. All you are doing is moving the trigger to the rear.

Another trick: See how far to the rear you can press the trigger without the gun going off.

PM me, I have lots of ways to reduce and eliminate flinching

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleveld View Post
    I recently (today) changed over from the thumbs-over weaver grip to thumbs forward. It all felt good, and I could engage a LOT faster, but all my shots where down in a tight little group in the low left 'flinch zone'. I can put them all center with thumbs-over. What am I screwing up? Obviously this is very subjective, and short of having you lot drive out here and watch me shoot, you won't know exactly where I am going wrong, but maybe some pointers are in order?
    Or, the change in thumb configuration may have altered your finger position on the trigger. See where your finger contacts the trigger with your crossed grip, then compare it to where it is using thumbs forward.

One of the better videos I've seen on the thumbs forward grip:

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FRT007 View Post
    I have been shooting revolvers and pistols since 1985. I've always wrapped the left (weak) hand around the right, with one thumb on top of the other. I have seen many photos of shooters with both thumbs forward - when I try it, I feel my grip has been weakened. What advantages does thumbs forward give a shooter?
    Well, when I was in the Marines years ago, I was not taught to hold the gun that way, but I shoot that way now. I find it helps me get on target faster than the ol' cup and saucer method I was taught to use. JMHO.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because if you hold thumbs up, the recoil will shove them up your nose. Then your gun gets all bogered up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Shoot however you're comfortable... thumbs forward, thumbs down, Weaver stance, isosceles stance, heck, hold the gun upside down if you want to... it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if your sights are lined up when it goes bang.
    Last edited by ruso; February 2nd, 2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Grammar

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruso View Post
    Shoot however your comfortable... thumbs forward, thumbs down, Weaver stance, isosceles stance, heck, hold the gun upside down if you want to... it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if your sights are lined up when it goes bang.
    And how effectively you control the trigger.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I perfected my F.R.O.W.L. (Fully Rolled Over Wrist lock) grip in 1999. I never called it a "thumbs forward" grip, because you can have the thumbs forward, and still not have wrist lock. The wrist lock is key to making it work.

More information and teachings on it can be found here:

Proper Grip & Recoil Managment
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having more physical contact points with the weapon itself will offer more stability. This is what I was trained to do when learning how to handle a handgun.

Wow! Talk about reviving an old thread!

FWIW, I shoot with my thumbs down, left (support) thumb over the right (shooting) thumb. Thumbs-up/forward is unsafe for revolvers (due to gases escaping from the cylinder gap), and as my usual daily carry is a LCR, I'm going to keep things consistent, even when I carry a semi auto pistol.

The funny thing is, every time you read a post about someone accidentally hitting the slide lock lever, and locking their slide open with rounds still in the mag, they are always using the thumbs-up/forward grip. Sorry, but I think keeping your digits near controls and rapidly moving machinery, when they do not need to be there, is a really bad idea.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Sponsor

Lightbulb

The funny thing is, every time you read a post about someone accidentally hitting the slide lock lever, and locking their slide open with rounds still in the mag, they are always using the thumbs-up/forward grip. Sorry, but I think keeping your digits near controls and rapidly moving machinery, when they do not need to be there, is a really bad idea.
    No one in my camp as ever had that problem...

Neither do any of my students. Mainly because we don't "clam shell squeeze" the gun with the off like some guys do.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

That may be true, but just because something has not happened, does not mean it won't happen. And like I said, if you shoot both revolvers and semi-autos, the thumbs up/forward grip is probably a bad idea.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links