Calling all Women !

Calling all Women !

This is a discussion on Calling all Women ! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been asked to teach a CHL class to a group of woman. These woman are all fairly well to do, well educated and some ...

Thread: Calling all Women !

Senior Moderator

Calling all Women !

I've been asked to teach a CHL class to a group of woman.

These woman are all fairly well to do, well educated and some of them shoot and some of them don't.

When I asked the person that wanted me to teach the class why they didn't want to attend the next public class that I am giving next week, I was told that they didn't want to sit in a class full of men because some of them felt that they might be uncomfortable with that.
    Hmmmm...O.K ...I said..

Although I don't really agree with that, I can see their point. I know that we have some instructors around that are known to be pretty macho and they tend to let their testosterone flow too freely with their mouths on occasion.Or so I've heard anyway. Although I have personally never witnessed that, I have heard some stories that made even me cringe with the way some people were dealt with.

I've heard the various words used like, macho,egoistical,chauvinistic,conceited,arrogant, among others and some that attended other classes that felt like they were "talked down "to.

And,I don't doubt it.

Which is why they picked me. Unbeknown to me, I had been recommended by several people in the last class I taught. I guess they were looking for someone that wasn't any of the above.

When I found that out today, I was speechless. I guess that sometimes we forget that every time we go forth and teach, we really are making an impact that can be further reaching than we ever thought.

So,that leads me to the reason for this post, and it is specifically geared to the few woman that we have here and I do value their input. I've taught many woman, usually husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends but this one will be different.

So,women,
    What is it that you are looking for in a Concealed Handgun Class ?
    other than the permit of course.

Give me a list of positives and negatives so that I can be an effective instructor that woman don't love to hate, someone that can feel comfortable with, and most importantly learn with.

I'm all ears. Any and all comments will be appreciated.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

They probably had heard you were a sensitive kinda guy.

Women learn differently than men.
    Men, learning new things, want all the info right upfront and then start to employ what they think they know and tweak it their own way as they go.
    Women, learning new things, want the info in steps. They tend to want to master step one before moving to step two, and so on.
    My advice is just let THEM set the learning pace and be prepared to go piece by piece instead of headlong into it.
    Where men will want to rush from the book learning part out to the range and shoot right away, women will tend to want to have all the facts and mechanical info solid in their minds before picking up a firearm.
    My two cents.

When I asked the person that wanted me to teach the class why they didn't want to attend the next public class that I am giving next week, I was told that they didn't want to sit in a class full of men because some of them felt that they might be uncomfortable with that.
    Hmmmm...O.K ...I said..
    The range I work at has a "Ladies only" class every month for that very reason and I can tell you it is always full. And the ladies always tell us that they really felt more comfortable with out a bunch of macho stupid man in the class with them.

Have fun!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links