Precision Long-Range Rifle Training.

This is a discussion on Precision Long-Range Rifle Training. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wasn't sure if this should go in Training or in Rifles, but I'm curious. Short of a military or police sniper school, where would one ...

Thread: Precision Long-Range Rifle Training.

Precision Long-Range Rifle Training.

Wasn't sure if this should go in Training or in Rifles, but I'm curious.

Short of a military or police sniper school, where would one go for long-range precision rifle marksmanship training?

Thanks,
    Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

Short of a military or police sniper school, where would one go for long-range precision rifle marksmanship training?
    You sure? Military training is free, and you'd likely get some real life training also due to current engagements. Have you read any books about it? Armed forces training manuals should be readily available at military surplus stores. Calculations, winds, range estimations, use of mil-dot reticles, figuring the size of your target, etc.... may well enhance your knowledge before you find the right school for you. You can practice range and wind estimations in public, or at home, and do calculations in your head or on paper. You could also practice your lead on moving objects. Study ballistics charts and bullet drop. IMO, this would give you a head start for any class. I know this post is long-winded, but in the back of my mind--I'm only imagining the cost of such a course! If you have the ways and means, then you'll find something soon enough. Personally, I'd look for making friends with former LEO's or military that have played in that tactical role in the past, and willing to teach a dedicated student. You and a friend could practice stealth and concealment with an objective (stationary target){your friend}, firecrackers (blank rounds is what we used), and a set of binoculars ( in the hands of the objective--your friend). Key is you need to make a sound like firing a round from your position. A firecracker may do the trick here, but the sound needs to be heard by the observer (objective), then he needs to locate your position, etc........ Limit yourself to taking a shot no longer than 440 yds or a quarter mile for the first few times. Remember you can move your position after the sound is made (or the round is fired) before the observer (objective) will be able to hear the report, but he'll be looking for you. Assuming of course you're seeking tactical long range shooting skills.

Lead Moderator
    If you find a local club , usually someone(if not many) will be willing to help get you started in some type of competition shooting. I first learned thru the NRA junior DCM program.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links