Learn To Trust That "Gut-Feeling" It just might save your life.

This is a discussion on Learn To Trust That "Gut-Feeling" It just might save your life. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This kind of ties in with my situation this morning and I'd thought I'd start a new thread about this topic, since the last thread ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn To Trust That "Gut-Feeling" It just might save your life.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

This kind of ties in with my situation this morning and I'd thought I'd start a new thread about this topic, since the last thread began to vear that direction. I read this article about your gut feeling.

Learn To Trust That "Gut-Feeling" It just might save your life

Think of the many times throughout your life when you experienced a strange feeling that turned out to be an early warning of danger.

Use your early-warning radar:
    Did you take heed of that warning and avoid the impending danger, or did you ignore your built-in early warning radar and walk right into harm's-way?

The funny feeling in the pit of your stomach or the feeling of the hairs on the back of your neck standing on end are ways of your body telling you that something is very wrong.

Any veteran police officer or soldier who's seen combat and lived to tell about it will explain that part of their survival was due to trusting their "gut-feeling" that they were in danger.

Here's how it works:
    There is nothing magical about this sixth-sense. It's simply your body's first reaction to adrenaline entering your blood stream.

As your digestive system is being shut down to allow more blood to flow to your muscles, you get a queasy feeling in your stomach.

Your body is getting a shot of adrenaline because your brain has determined that you're in danger. It isn't paranoia or imagined fear. It's real, and you need to pay attention to it. Deadly attention.

Your sub-conscious which operates ten times faster than your conscious mind has picked up on signals of danger that your conscious mind has not yet processed.

Many times after the immediate threat has subsided you realize what it was that caused your sub-conscious to go into the fight-mode.

After thinking about it, you start to understand that while you were talking to the stranger and had that "gut-feeling" that something was wrong; you had seen out of the corner of your eye a second person to your right at a ten foot range.

At the time it was only a flash of movement to your right, but in hindsight you realize that it was an accomplice of the stranger trying to hide from your view behind a car.

Because you trusted your "gut-feeling" you took defensive action and survived. Had you ignored that un-easy feeling, you would not of been aware of the second person coming at you with a tire-iron.

Steps to take when you get that "Gut feeling":

1.) Move! Don't wonder why, just move!

2.) If you're armed, make sure your weapon is ready to be used. Preferably in your hand.

3.) Take a 360 degree look around you. You need to shift to a higher state of awareness, from Yellow to Orange. This is where you identify a possible target. Make your plan of what action you'll take if the target makes a move toward you.

4.) Stay aware, there's a good chance you have multiple attackers.

5.) If you're sure you've got a problem, look for the fastest way out.

6.) If you're unable to tell what caused the "gut-feeling" of danger. Don't think that your in the clear. The problem may still exist, so let yourself shift back to Yellow, but stay sharp. Be prepared to shift back to Orange should any new target present itself.

It's been part of you since birth:
    You can see the effects of the instinctual "gut-feeling" clearly in an infant child. If an adult that doesn’t like kids picks up the baby, the baby will cry. If the adult who picks up the baby likes kids, the baby will smile. No matter how the adult acts, or what the adult says to the infant, the baby can sense the adults true intent and will respond to it.

We as adults have that same instinctual ability to sense danger. We just need to learn to trust it, practice using it, and never doubt it.

Just as a yawn is a signal that you're tired, and a sneeze the sign of an impending cold. Your "gut-feeling" is a life saving indicator that you're in serious danger, and to be prepared to take appropriate steps to defend yourself.

Learn to embrace this God-given self-defense instinct. Never ignore it. Use it, stay safe, stay alive.

2. Remove Ads

That is a great post. Having experienced all of that I can say that it is right on the money.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

When I rode on patrol with a sheriff’s deputy buddy years ago we responded to a call of a naked woman who had gone to a farm house out in the country looking for help. Turned out to be a 20 year old college student who worked at the local mall. As she left work and started out across the parking lot she saw a van that “gave me that funny feeling” and she thought about running back inside but didn’t want to look like a chicken. Well the van came down the lane she was walking, and she didn’t go between the parked cars again she didn’t want to look like a chicken, as it passed the rear roll back side door was open and they pulled her inside. They took her out to the country, made her strip and each took turns assaulting and beating her, when they were done they threw her out of the van and took off. She couldn’t provide a good description of the van and we never found them.

I have bow hunted deer for nearly 40 years now; long ago I learned that as the deer approaches don’t stare at it. I have seen many deer suddenly get hinkie, even though the wind was in my face and I hadn’t moved, I believe they “felt” my eyes on them and changed direction and avoided my invite to come home for dinner. Now I watch their approach with my peripheral vision and rarely have them spook before they are in range. How many times have you been somewhere and “felt” eyes on you and when you looked around found someone staring at you??? Yes, there is a primitive sixth sense we still posses, and I for one do not ignore it.

I was stupid many moons ago and went with a friend to take back a car one of his relitaves had taken without permission. SOMEONE had the good sense to call the LEOs and let them know what the two idiots were doing (me and my friend)
    We get into the projects where the car is, and are approached by several unsavory types...and the cops (thank God)
    One of the guys waited until my back was turned and took a swing at my head with something. For whatever reason I sidestepped and moved out of the way, kicking the person attacking in the groin like a mule.
    I have NO idea what/why/how I didn't get hit, don't know why I made contact with him like I did...but it backed everyone up long enough for the cops to get in the way, and for me to get out of there.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Many years ago driving to Lake Tahoe, that " little voice " said " put your seatbelt on ". Before the day was over, I was hit headon. I've listened to it every time since.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I believe that the "sixth sense" is nothing more than the subconscious mind putting together the pieces (provided by the OTHER five senses) of the puzzle before the conscious mind has gotten around to it.

Much more acute than most trust. There was a period that I had to tone it down, folks could not come up behind me without getting clocked. Goes back to that verify rule, that said trust it use it. Thanks for the post good info
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I believe that the "sixth sense" is nothing more than the subconscious mind putting together the pieces (provided by the OTHER five senses) of the puzzle before the conscious mind has gotten around to it.
    Me too. One of the best cops I've ever seen told me years ago, "If you hear that little voice in your head...LISTEN TO IT!" Man, was he right. Every time I've "had a feeling," and followed up on it, I 've been right. And when I had a feeling and kind of pooted it off, I was sorry later.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Amen!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The times I have not listen to my gut, I have gotten burned. Luckily they have been minor incidents.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Useful posts. There is a recent book that details how your body and mind can identify things in an instant. Worth a read if you are into this sort of thing:

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell

Pro21: I love your descriptions of how your body changes under adrenaline and stress. I have spent a lot of time training and performing in stressful situations and knowing how your body reacts (and how to control it) can make a huge difference in your ability to perform. It is much harder to think and control your body when you are under a "fight or flight" response.

Train under conditions where your body is in a "stressful state" Things like running up stairs to get your heart rate up and breathing heavily...see how it affects your ability to shoot. Be creative with training (but keep a lookout for safety)

"a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Good post.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Train under conditions where your body is in a "stressful state" Things like running up stairs to get your heart rate up and breathing heavily...see how it affects your ability to shoot. Be creative with training (but keep a lookout for safety)

I did a thread about playing Rapist And Punk on my iPod while training in my little back forty course. That stuff really ticks me off and irritates the be jeezus outta me. It made a difference my shooting went right into the toilet until I started working past the distraction & irritation. May sound like I am a whack job but it is effective in creating stress in me. Especially the hateful gangster stuff. After a bit of running crank the iPod and my eyes are buggin out. Thanks for the book suggestion will to check it out.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, that spidey sense is a zillion or so years of survival instinct talkin' to ya.

Ignore it at your very real peril.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I realized long ago that "this gun thing" was something I would be continually learning. I also realized that there's a lot that I don't know and I don't have half the training that some of you have. That said, I work (unarmed) security to get me through college and last night I had a "gut check".

I went through the colors real fast as I encountered an unwelcomed visitor. Needless to say my "gut feeling" had me ready although I was very happy it turned out to be a non-event. I just wish I could get more of my peers and co-workers to be more situationally aware. Way too many sheep...
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links