Diminishing near vision.....

This is a discussion on Diminishing near vision..... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help. My near vision is getting worse and worse as I approach 50. Nothing new and it's easy to put on the cheaters to read ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diminishing near vision.....

Help. My near vision is getting worse and worse as I approach 50. Nothing new and it's easy to put on the cheaters to read or work, but it's really starting to affect me on the range. Almost to the point where I can't align the sights any more, especially in dim light. I wear contacts and as a result have 20/20 past about 3 feet, but it's not helping me with a pistol.......just means I can see my cruddy groups without having to pull the target!

I don't have night sights on any of my pistols. Wondering if a 3 dot night sight would help. Any thoughts/tips from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated!

Senior Moderator
    Perhaps in this case, relief is spelled l-a-s-e-r.

As in laser sight.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Help. My near vision is getting worse and worse as I approach 50. Nothing new and it's easy to put on the cheaters to read or work, but it's really starting to affect me on the range. Almost to the point where I can't align the sights any more, especially in dim light. I wear contacts and as a result have 20/20 past about 3 feet, but it's not helping me with a pistol.......just means I can see my cruddy groups without having to pull the target!

I don't have night sights on any of my pistols. Wondering if a 3 dot night sight would help. Any thoughts/tips from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated!
    Welcome to my world since I was 20.

Point shooting and instinct is working for me. I have not tried anything low light yet.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Only if they were different colors. You can also try a fiber optic front sight in green, yellow, or orange.

I know one thing that helps some folks with Macular Degeneration (it happens to folks 40 and over) is using XS "Big Dot" sights.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Welcome to the aging syndrome.
    Get a pair of reading glasses that are too weak.
    You'll be able to see the front sight and the target.

It's going to get worse.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Assistant Administrator
    Tell me about it! My sight picture is ''sight blur"!

I can get good focus if wearing my computer glasses but then I am not seeing too well for distance.

IMO we have to develop a technique for dealing with it, by how we shoot. If we are thinking combat and not bullseye then slight opening of group is no biggie. Best I find is to practice for the ''feel'' and consistency of hold etc ... all geared if you will to getting better at ''point'' shooting.

I consider also what might occur if my normal everyday glasses were trashed during an event, and so have to shoot with no optical help at all - it's possible and so I'll try and practice that way also. Eye correction is a bit like something with a battery - when most needed it/they might fail - so good to be able to manage.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Welcome to the aging syndrome.
    Get a pair of reading glasses that are too weak.
    You'll be able to see the front sight and the target.

It's going to get worse.

AFS
    I already rely on a pair of weak reading glasses for the past two years. The glasses are from two prescriptions ago and work great.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Hadn't thought of weak reading glasses, that's a great idea!

Not a huge fan of lasers, but that might change with time. Maybe at least for a dedicated home defense gun......

Lead Moderator
    When my near vision went I couldn't see wearing both contacts AND reading glasses, so I went back to just glasses. I use "progressives" (variable "bifocals") and I've found they work for just about everything, including handgun shooting.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    That's a problem when you wear contact lenses that give you perfect "far" vision and then your "near" vision is good for nothing.

The laser would probably be your best option since you do not need to look at or focus on your firearm at all.
    You can concentrate all of your focus on your intended target since with a laser...your front sight [AKA The Red Dot] is (in effect) resting right on your target and your "far" vision is perfect.

Depending on what firearm you're carrying you might consider a Trijicon Red Dot for your rear.
    Then you don't need a front sight at all.
    It's an expensive option though at $300.00 + dollars (for the sight) plus the cost of the mount - plus the machine work installation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I am going to sound like a broken record at some point.

Not a fan of "special" glasses for shooting (or any other item needed beyond daily wear).

In that crucial 1.5 seconds IF a situation arises, are you going to have time to reach into your pocket and put on your shooting glasses?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Since everyone else has taken up all of the cool ideas, have you had your vision tested lately for all of the typical aging maladies, as well as cataracts? That might tell you a bit, otherwise , you have a lot of good ideas above.......

Have you thought about progressive bi-focals?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Since everyone else has taken up all of the cool ideas, have you had your vision tested lately for all of the typical aging maladies, as well as cataracts? That might tell you a bit, otherwise , you have a lot of good ideas above.......

Have you thought about progressive bi-focals?
    No problem with cataracts or anything else.....just the "arms getting shorter" syndrome.

Really love the convenience of contacts and would hate to give that up.

May have to talk to my eye dr about some shooting glasses with progressive bifocals that are weak and progress up to no correction....just for the range. What a pain.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I am going to sound like a broken record at some point.

Not a fan of "special" glasses for shooting (or any other item needed beyond daily wear).

In that crucial 1.5 seconds IF a situation arises, are you going to have time to reach into your pocket and put on your shooting glasses?
    I absolutely agree with you here. I don't mind wearing glasses to help out on the range, but I don't want to become dependent on them at normal defensive distances. Fortunately, it's not that bad. Just can't group at 25 yds like I used to.

If it is just for target shooting, get a Merit optical device. Basically it is an adjustable aperture, but the front sight, back sight and target are all clear. Not something to wear every day, or to but on in a gun fight, but it is a nice accessory.
    ADDED: It attaches to your shooting glasses with a suction cup.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links