Front Sight: MERGED

This is a discussion on Front Sight: MERGED within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; MY wife and I are going to start attending some classes. We began our newfound love of guns in October 2007, so we are quite ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Sight: MERGED

Front Sight: MERGED

MY wife and I are going to start attending some classes. We began our newfound love of guns in October 2007, so we are quite novice, however we are quite addicted, and serious. Neither of us had shot any type of weapon prior to October.
    We both have our CCW permits. We have read 10 or 11 books, on handguns and personal defense. I have participated in 2 IDPA events. Is Front Sight in Pahrump, NV a good choice for a first school, or is there a better choice for us? We live in North Carolina, but are willing to travel. NV would be nice for us because we could go with friends who also shoot, and also spend time in Las Vegas. Thanks for all your guidance.

2. Remove Ads

Is Front Sight in Pahrump, NV a good choice for a first school, or is there a better choice for us? We live in North Carolina.

If you live in North Carolina why in the world would you travel to Front Sight? When you have (ONE OF THE WORLDS BEST) Training facility in Moyock North Carolina.

Blackwater USA

also good are:

Golden Seal Enterprises
    http://www.tacticalresponse.com
    Perroni's Tactical Training Academy - Virginia Firearms Training
    Practical Firearms Training Pat Goodale
    Welcome to Practical Firearms Training 540-559-4151
    10-8 Consulting Tim Lau
    10-8 Consulting - Home Page
    Trident Concepts Jeff Gonzales
    http://www.tridentconcepts.com/index.asp
    Rogers Shooting School Bill Rogers
    http://www.rogers-shooting-school.com/
    EAG Tactical Pat Rogers
    E.A.G. Tactical
    ITTS Scott Reitz
    ITTS Firearms School. Southern California's Elite Tactical Training Facility. International Tactical Training Seminars
    Triple Canopy
    http://www.triplecanopy.com/tripleca...rain/index.php
    Thunder Ranch Clint Smith
    Thunder Ranch® Oregon
    Chapman Academy R ay Chapman
    Chapman Academy of Practical Shooting - Main Page
    Defense Training International John Farnam
    Defense Training International, Inc.
    Defensive Use of a Firearm LLC. Steve Wenger.
    http://www.spw-duf.info/training.
    Strategos International Ken Good & Frank Borelli
    Strategos International - Tactical Training and Equipment for Military and Law Enforcement Personnel
    Valhalla Rob Pincus
    http://www.valhallatraining.com/
    Viking Tactics Kyle Lamb
    Viking Tactics
    Yavapai Firearms Louis Awerbuck
    Yavapai Firearms Academy

Front Sight

Tom Perroni
    Last edited by DCJS Instructor; January 21st, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought Blackwater was more oriented to military and LE? By the way, thanks for the quick response.

Blackwater Open Enrollment Courses

This is what is open to the public for training at BW.

Blackwater Open Enrollment Courses

Introductory Pistol
    Basic Pistol
    Advanced Skills Handgun
    Tactical Pistol I
    Tactical Pistol II
    NC Concealed Carry
    Basic Shotgun
    Pistol/Carbine

http://www.balckwaterusa.com

Training at BW North Carolina.

Tom P.

TwoAkitas,

In addition to the ones listed earlier there are several top notch training companies that conduct training in North Carolina, in addition to my own LMS Defense

There are:

TigerSwan
    VickersTactical
    Bennie Cooley/CRTC

and many others. You don't have to travel far in NC for some of the best training in the world.

Drop me a line describing what you're looking for and maybe I can point you in the right direction without you having to travel very far.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

With BW right in your back yard I think that you could really cash in on that. Great training close to home.

However, back to your question on Front Sight, I have never heard a bad thing about their training. They had some issues a few years back with some property issues but they are a very pro gun outfit and put their money where their mouth is. They spend and donate millions on 2a causes around the country.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Price View Post
    TwoAkitas,

In addition to the ones listed earlier there are several top notch training companies that conduct training in North Carolina, in addition to my own LMS Defense

There are:

TigerSwan
    VickersTactical
    Bennie Cooley/CRTC

and many others. You don't have to travel far in NC for some of the best training in the world.

Drop me a line describing what you're looking for and maybe I can point you in the right direction without you having to travel very far.

I have not trained with any of the above but have heard good things about all Three Trainers & Companies. I am sure you could not go wrong with any of them. However I am currently working as a I/C Instructor for Blackwater that is why I pointed you in that direction. So I guess you have plenty to pick from right in your own backyard!

Good luck!

Stay Safe & Shoot Straight!

Tom Perroni

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have taken Lethal Force Institute's LFI-1 class with Massad Ayoob, and I think it is excellent. It is specifically oriented towards deadly force training, as opposed to just weapon craft, and it gets into very detailed discussion of the laws and ethics of lethal self-defense. It is not a CCW course specifically, but would be very useful for that. The 2008 schedule should be out on that website very soon.

If you choose to take another course, you should at least get and read (if you have not already) Ayoob's In the Gravest Extreme.

Good luck!

A huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond to my question in such detail! What I am hearing from those of you who have responded to my question so far is there are many choices for schools that are closer to us than Frontsight and we should check out our own backyard, so to speak, before heading across the country.

We have read Ayoob's book mentioned in kazzaerexys' post as well as David Kenik's book Armed Response; Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford; John S. Farnam's book The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting; The Tactical Shotgun by Gabriel Suarez; The Essential Guide to Handguns; Tactical Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez; How to Become a Master Handgunner by Charles Stephens; and The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird. However, all the book learning in the world doesn't have the same impact as speaking with real people with real experience which is why I have also been an avid reader of forums on sites such as this one and truly appreciate you veterans taking the time to educate those of us newcomers.

Frontsight??? Input appreciated

Looking at getting some add'l training.....................

Anyone know anything about these guys????

Let me know.

Thanks
    It says "The right to bear arms" , not permission granted!!!!!

Planting seeds in the hearts of children........will ultimately bring change in the future!!! BWB

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    100% NFG! Iggy has been named in fraudulent activities and other not so nice things. You money is FAR better spent at Tridentconcepts, Thunder Ranch, Gunsite or Combat Shooting and Tactics. Seek them out first. All of the aforementioned schools are the real deal where as FS caters to the armchair commando.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Here is an article on but one of his fiascos:

Re: Another big shot Scientologist getting sued for fraud - Ignatius Piazza - Front Sight Firearms

There a ton of others this is just the first one that I came to on a Google search with his name.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

So I took 2-3 hrs and searched for anything frontsight and found they had a few hiccups for a couple of years 3-5 yrs ago but could find nothing currently slamming them. As far as training is concerned nothing but good reports. Being slow on some of thier real estate promises they had a few issues, but as said before nothing within the last several yrs even w/that.

Has anyone here had any personal experience w/them.

Not looking to get blasted or stir the pot , just want to know if anyone here has attended, and what was experience like.

One of our local news stations did a story on them a while back actual looking for away to slight " the gun thing " but actually did a decent story on people wanting to be better trained.
    It says "The right to bear arms" , not permission granted!!!!!

Planting seeds in the hearts of children........will ultimately bring change in the future!!! BWB

You probably read this, but just in case -

My Training Experience at Front Sight - USA Carry Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ascendmfg View Post
    Looking at getting some add'l training.....................

Anyone know anything about these guys????

Let me know.

Thanks
    What type of info are you looking for? I attended the 4-day defensive handgun course there and I learned a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links