Airsoft for training?

This is a discussion on Airsoft for training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search and can't find anything, but I know I saw a post somewhere (maybe another forum) regarding using Airsoft for tactical training ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsoft for training?

Airsoft for training?

I did a search and can't find anything, but I know I saw a post somewhere (maybe another forum) regarding using Airsoft for tactical training -- like around the house and such.

Any comments or feedback on that? Any ideas on excercizes that could be run in the home using airsoft in "live fire" situations? Is this a good or bad idea?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    There is several threads about this... I think it works pretty well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Yes, we did have a good thread running on this a while back - but I have no link. Maybe we can locate it eventually.

I'd say excercizes are probably down to the limits of your imagination!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out these links .. the first was one I had in mind ...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=airsoft

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Dang you P95Carry. Don't you think I have other things to do? I have to work. I have things to do, places to go, people to see. Now I have to spend hours reading all those posts.

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Assistant Administrator
    Now I have to spend hours reading all those posts.
    Sorry!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Short answer? Force-on-force training is invaluable, and can really make you re-think your "square range" training as well. Airsoft (or Simunition, or whatever) isn't the answer to everything, but it can help a great deal. If you can, go for it - I'm sure you can think of (or look up) many, many scenarios and training programs.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I agree that FOF training is definitely worthwhile. It helps to realize what really happens and what works in an actual situation. OMO

Check out Gabe Suarez' book on FOF training with airsoft. It's an eye opener!

After reading the book and watching the DVD, then trying it in person, I watched Personal Defense TV last night. The thing that kept running through my mind, watching some bulky instructor shoot a moving target was "If this is what you have in mind for a fight, you're a dead man"

Technique goes out the window. As a Master class shooter I have the techniques down. I can do them in my sleep (I probably DO), when I draw the gun comes up on target, period. In my first run I was shooting strong hand over my left shoulder while running from the bad guy with a knife. THAT ISN'T IN THE DRILL BOOK! <g>

Check out the book, it's $11 at Amazon. It'll change your thinking!

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I use it a lot. Airsoft is easy, cheap, and you don't end up with 'training welts' at the end of the day. We do tactical actions in real houses, under construction houses, and vacant commercial buildings when we can. I usually set out some of the LE Targets with traps behind them. Also, we get interactive and run scenarios to make the experience interactive.

I'm part of a 20+ man milsim airsoft team, and it definitely opens your eyes to what might and might not fly in a real situation.

Not to mention it's a ton of fun. We have a 45 acre game field with bunkers, 2 blockhouses, a 2 story tower, and a small village. Soon to be constructed, a mock airfield.

If you get an airsoft that is replica of your carry gun I def think it's a good thing. You can set up some cardboard tagets in your basement and practice drawing, firing from awkward positions...whatever you want really. $20 or so for a can of gas and you can shoot all you want of the little plastic BB's.
    I got a 1911 clone last year and I love it. Even if I don't use it for training, it lets me get the edge off when I want to shoot but dont have time to make it to the range (+ lots cheaper too!!!).
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    If you get an airsoft that is replica of your carry gun I def think it's a good thing. You can set up some cardboard tagets in your basement and practice drawing, firing from awkward positions...whatever you want really. $20 or so for a can of gas and you can shoot all you want of the little plastic BB's.
    I got a 1911 clone last year and I love it. Even if I don't use it for training, it lets me get the edge off when I want to shoot but dont have time to make it to the range (+ lots cheaper too!!!).
    most common carry guns have airsoft GBB replica's but finding a site that has "your gun" might sometimes be an issue. also look at the reviews some are better than others. as far as the $20 for a small can of gas just buy some silicone oil(you'll need it anyway) and a propane adapter. $2 for a better sized can at most retail stores.

BTW green gas is just propane with some silicone oil mixed in to make maintnence a little easier(use it a few times a year with each of your mags to prevent seal wear).
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Excellent training aid and a lot of fun.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I got to looking at some of these blowback versions... They're almost as expensive as a real gun. lol

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    I got to looking at some of these blowback versions... They're almost as expensive as a real gun. lol
    Yeah, but ammo costs go way down

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links