Busted thumb.... weak hand training

This is a discussion on Busted thumb.... weak hand training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; first i want to apologize for the messier than usual writing.. about a week and a half ago i bent my right thumb the wrong ...

Thread: Busted thumb.... weak hand training

VIP Member

Busted thumb.... weak hand training

first i want to apologize for the messier than usual writing.. about a week and a half ago i bent my right thumb the wrong way and I think i messed up a ligament. i took it easy, let it rest and over the last three days i was fine but for some reason i woke up today and it was painful & swollen. it is painful enough that i can barely type and i cannot handle my fnp-9 with my strong hand.
    it is a good thing that at my IDPA club, the twisted & evil CoF designers set us up with regular weak hand drills so I am comfortable shooting weak hand although not as good as with the strong hand. now the problem resides in the fact that i do not have a left handed holster for the fnp or any of my handguns! about the only thing i came up with is have the snubbie in my left vest pocket and carry a couple of safarilands comp 3 reloaders.
    I did some dry firing drawing from the vest pocket and practiced reloading and again, it is not the fastest way but it works. so until this darn thumb gets well, i guess i don't have to go out naked out there.
    so ladies and gents, practice not only your weak hand shooting but also reloading and how you will carry and draw.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good advice.
    Hope the ol' thumb starts feeling better soon.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    first i want to apologize for the messier than usual writing...
    Great Scott that's funny! Or maybe it's just early? I'll remove those worthless
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I hope you get better soon Miggy. Have you been to get it checked out? I understand how you feel. I'm 7 weeks post Rotator Cuff Repair on my dominant side. At least you had been practicing with your weak hand. I was very much at a lost. I discovered belly band and sling carry. You made a very good point about practicing not only weak hand drills, but how to carry and draw from your weak side. Reloading is something we take for granted. But if you tape your strong hand up or put it in your back pocket and try to reload with the weak hand...NOT EASY. When I get back to shooting with my dominant hand, I promise myself to faithfully train both weak and strong side. I saw a Personal Defense episode where the Instructor was demonstrating how to shoot and rack the slide with one arm out of commission. Was that Clint? Anyway, I hope you get better soon.
    Good luck!

VIP Member
    Thumb seems to be better now but not optimal. As silly as it sounds I decided to carry the snubbie in an old right-handed Bianchi Minimalist on my weak side which means the butt was facing forward So I ended up looking like some sort of urban cowboy with latin accent.
    I kept the speedloaders in the strong side vest pocket. Went out shopping with the wife for a few and it felt weird but not uncomfortable.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Always do some weak handed shooting with each range session.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    So I ended up looking like some sort of urban cowboy with latin accent.

Did you have the boots and hat too?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links