A vote for airsoft?

A vote for airsoft?

This is a discussion on A vote for airsoft? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let me say that I recognize that airsoft players are the but of many jokes...and deservedly so. However, I have made a change of ...

A vote for airsoft?

First let me say that I recognize that airsoft players are the but of many jokes...and deservedly so.

However, I have made a change of heart about airsoft. Some time ago I picked up a gas powered, blow back, airsoft Glock 26 for about $115. My thinking at the time was that it might make a valuable training tool. I must say I was right.

The airsoft handgun is so realistic that I had to paint the whole thing orange. The feel and weight were so close to the original that when un-holstering it I could not tell if it was my Glock 27 or not. Needless to say, painting the whole gun was a very smart move. The last thing I would want to do is throw several 180g 40s/w rounds over my kitchen table.

I now use it as a part of my training with great results. The recoil is just enough to take me off target and the trajectory of the pellets is good within 15 or so feet. I have also found that this airsoft gun allows me to train to do things that I never thought I would be able to do (ie, shooting in my house or in my church's auditorium).

Now I just need them to make an airsoft ar-15 with simulated recoil...

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quality airsoft guns are not just toys for playing games. They are one of the very best training tools available to the general public.

Buy a paintball helmet and a pair of gloves and take it into quality, properly conducted force on force training. This is where the value really comes into the light.

VIP Member
    As a trainer I use them to train students. A a student I use them to train. My personal one is a SIG P226 copy which mimics the size and shape of my preferred EDC. Even had a decock lever that is the "safety" on it. Mine are also the more expensive blow back type units.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have several older airsoft that mostly do not get used since the arrival of my SIG P226 Factory Airsoft.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    Quality airsoft guns are not just toys for playing games. They are one of the very best training tools available to the general public.

Buy a paintball helmet and a pair of gloves and take it into quality, properly conducted force on force training. This is where the value really comes into the light.
    Spot on Sir! The hitch is making sure that the exercises are conducted realistically. Too often, the opfor sees the exercise as an ego expander and they tend to rig the contest so that they never lose. A good place to start is the "this happened to me stories" section. Set them up, run them and see how various approaches work. Don't forget the ego free hot wash afterwards.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

it would be a great training tool... it's unfortunate when i'm looking around at videos on youtube for gun vids that most of them are airsoft. and ofcourse, out comes a kid in full camo gear, every possible strap on piece of equipment, blue hippie sun glasses, and a face full of acne, just to talk about how the gun looks. pathetic.

i do agree with you guys though, these guns (and paintball) make superb tools for training. nothing like CQC training with a PB gun!!!

Links