My first IDPA match - Page 2

My first IDPA match

This is a discussion on My first IDPA match within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You have rules and, as any other game, you must follow them. What and how you pay depends on the club. BTW Tony, can you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    You have rules and, as any other game, you must follow them.
    What and how you pay depends on the club.

BTW Tony, can you be more specific about the loading you were doing?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    BTW Tony, can you be more specific about the loading you were doing?
    I should have prefaced my post by saying that those exchanges were during one specific match...

We were on a small dirt range out in the middle of a farming community in RURAL North Carolina. Quite possibly the literal definition of "middle of nowhere".

I was reloading the way I'm sure many of us do: pull the firing elbow down and into the side of the body so that the weapon is pointing up and away from me, just to the right of my sight line. Given some of the 'techniques' that I saw that day, safety was paramount in my mind at all times.

I think the problem was that the ref was pretty set in his ways and wasn't too familiar with the 'tactical' side of pistol work. His house, his rules; I adjusted.

I am actually a fan of IDPA. In fact, myself and my training partner are going to set up a chapter in our town. (LOL... thousand of Marines in this town and no IDPA chapter.)
    Tony Siciliano
    Senior Instructor
    LMS Defense - East Coast
    tonysiciliano@lmsdefense.com
    www.lmsdefense.com
    Join us on the LMSD Forum

there is a significant "mental" element even though it is a game. Practice putting yourself in a bubble, where you are alone with the pistol. It works! It slows things down, allows you to see the front sight and think safety.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Speed is a perception. Slow down just a wee bit. It will seem like an eternity to you, but in reality you are right on pace and much more accurate. My training taught me to keep the muzzle pointed in the direction of your threat and reload - often (retention). I find it more enjoyable to practice my technique and enjoy the training session rather than try to win the match. The match isn't about anyone other than YOU vs YOU. With practice, you'll surprise yourself and move up in the rankings.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Siciliano View Post
    I should have prefaced my post by saying that those exchanges were during one specific match...

We were on a small dirt range out in the middle of a farming community in RURAL North Carolina. Quite possibly the literal definition of "middle of nowhere".

I was reloading the way I'm sure many of us do: pull the firing elbow down and into the side of the body so that the weapon is pointing up and away from me, just to the right of my sight line. Given some of the 'techniques' that I saw that day, safety was paramount in my mind at all times.

I think the problem was that the ref was pretty set in his ways and wasn't too familiar with the 'tactical' side of pistol work. His house, his rules; I adjusted.

I am actually a fan of IDPA. In fact, myself and my training partner are going to set up a chapter in our town. (LOL... thousand of Marines in this town and no IDPA chapter.)
    OK, I guess it is the muzzle up thing that got the SO in a bind. In all fairness I would given you a FTDR after the third time
    Safety Rules are set with the lowest common denominator in mind. OK, you are trained and might not do make a booboo but the young feller just starting is watching you, does not have the skills yet and might end up doing some stupid things just because "Mr High Speed Low Drag does it that way" and believe me, I have seen it happening more than once. You will be a teaching aid whether you like it & intend it or not.
    In our club we have all kinds of shooters, from very experienced people who have the "Been There T-Shirt" to regular folks to people that bough their first gun 2 days before the match. EVERYBODY will conform to the safety rules and nobody "gets away" with doing something against the safety rules because they trained differently (Not wrong, just different.) Our most experienced shooters understand that and they are quick to help SOs by pulling aside any new shooter and helping them with their techniques including safety tips.

raytracer: I agree with you about hugging cover. Hell I still catch myself doing that. IDPA is truly obsessive about cover because no other shooting sport does it and, let's face it, if you have to use your gun, it is good that the first thing you do is to make yourself small and safe behind anything that will stop a bullet. The Golden Rule in a firefight is don't catch any bullets yourself! (Or as som buddies say, do not end up having holes in your body that were not there before the fight started.)
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    I remember my first IDPA match. I think I wrote a thread about it here. I know that I wrote a blog about it on my website.

Clickie Here

It was very tense and the whole thing was a blur. I was very surprised at how well I did despite not knowing what the heck I was doing and being a complete noob. I got a score right in the middle of everyone else.

It was a ton of fun though and great practice. I would love to get involved in a league here. The practice is great for any defensive shooter!

Miggy, I agree that use of cover is vitally important. I think my main concern with IDPA's obsession with it, is that no differenciation is made between cover and concealment. I realize that blue barrels and tarps are just props, but in all actuality, we encounter very little truly "hard" cover in our daily lives. We're conditioned by hollywood that residential construction, sofas, car doors and barroom tables will stop bullets, but we all know better.

Concealment is great as long as your adversary doesn't know you're there. But, if they've already seen you and you duck back behind it for a reload - they're just going to shoot you through it. You're much better off being somewhere else, quickly. If there's any "tactically" useful skill I've picked up from IPSC, it's reloads on the run.

Ideally, I'd love to see IDPA adopt a methodolgy of designating "cover" and "concealment" and guiding the shooter to respond appropriately.

Just my minor nitpicking. The current system is still a lot better than conditioning shooters to square off in the open and start blazing away.

Joe

Sounds like you had a good time. That's more important than winning.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I would like to try this type of shooting. But I do not know enough about it. I watch a competition 2 weeks ago. Asked what each contestant was shooting. One contestant told me he had a used CZ bought for $370. He said I should be able to find one like it. Well, I thought I found one at a reputable sporting goods store. I fired it at the range and the gun was worn out and I couldnt hit a broad side of a barn. I got my money back. I may still be looking for something suitbale for a novice that will not cost me my savings account. But this time I hope for a new one. I like the 9mm caliber because the ammo is affordable. What would be an accurate, reliable, and economical pistol ?

Quote Originally Posted by paulbb View Post
    I would like to try this type of shooting. But I do not know enough about it. I watch a competition 2 weeks ago. Asked what each contestant was shooting. One contestant told me he had a used CZ bought for $370. He said I should be able to find one like it. Well, I thought I found one at a reputable sporting goods store. I fired it at the range and the gun was worn out and I couldnt hit a broad side of a barn. I got my money back. I may still be looking for something suitbale for a novice that will not cost me my savings account. But this time I hope for a new one. I like the 9mm caliber because the ammo is affordable. What would be an accurate, reliable, and economical pistol ?
    Glock 19...awesome gun and the mags and parts are cheap. A new one will run around $500, used ones can be found for as much as $150 less if you find a good deal (there's not much that can go wrong with them so there's usually no problems with buying a used one).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Miggy, I agree that use of cover is vitally important. I think my main concern with IDPA's obsession with it, is that no differenciation is made between cover and concealment. I realize that blue barrels and tarps are just props, but in all actuality, we encounter very little truly "hard" cover in our daily lives. We're conditioned by hollywood that residential construction, sofas, car doors and barroom tables will stop bullets, but we all know better.

Concealment is great as long as your adversary doesn't know you're there. But, if they've already seen you and you duck back behind it for a reload - they're just going to shoot you through it. You're much better off being somewhere else, quickly. If there's any "tactically" useful skill I've picked up from IPSC, it's reloads on the run.

Ideally, I'd love to see IDPA adopt a methodolgy of designating "cover" and "concealment" and guiding the shooter to respond appropriately.

Just my minor nitpicking. The current system is still a lot better than conditioning shooters to square off in the open and start blazing away.

Joe
    I see your point very well, but IMHO the responsibility lies with the club and the course designers rather than headquarters. If you design a course of fire using a cutout of a car, make sure that the shooter understands that cover is going to be wherever the engine is located and nowhere else.
    Also the area where you live must be take in consideration. In South Florida most of house are made of concrete block & concrete columns so you do have a decent cover in real life. Truth be told, for us once you are behind a wall, unless the BG is shooting 7.62 russian and above, we are covered and our CoFs reflect that. Maybe farther north the construction requires lighter materials and those of us down here would be up the proverbial creek thinking that we are behind cover.

And, as I always say, IDPA is the elementary school of defensive/tactical shooting. A good way to start but it is not enough. Every shooter must seek further training.
    Randy Cain.

Miggy, I forget that you folks in Hurricane Alley build 'em a little stouter than we do in the midwest!

PaulBB, I'm surprised you had problems with the CZ. They are a very good gun. A new CZ75 should only run you about $425 or so. If you shoot revolvers well, IDPA strives to be revolver friendly, so don't hesitate to run a wheelgun. If you carry a gun, or rely on one for home protection - you'll get the most out of IDPA by using either your carry gun, or one like it. You don't need special equipment to play - that's very much the spirit of IDPA; fancy race guns aren't even allowed!

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links